• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If only...

Wretch

• Premium Member

If only we hadn't signed [Ken Norman/Cak]...

If only we could get a scoring SF to compliment Deke, Smitty, Mookie, etc...

If only we could get a "ball handling" 2 guard to compliment JT...

If only these players could mature...

If only we could get a true #2 option for Joe...

If only Marving could [penetrate/shoot the 3/develop fire]...

If only we stopped running so much iso-Joe...

If only the players would listen to the coach...

If only we had a PG...

If only Smoove would stop making dumb plays...

Seems every year, there's another "if only" added to the list. What's more disturbing to me though is that these "if only's" seem to dictate how long we hold onto our players. Sooner than later, we've got to let go of "if only" and start thinking about how to really improve this team. Trades don't always work out, but sometimes they do. Free agents don't work out always, but sometimes they do. New coaches don't always work out, but sometimes they do.

The difference between us and most of the NBA is that they make things happen. Most of the NBA has been to the conference finals/finals as well. At some point, after being unable to escape the 2nd round for what seems like eternity, you've got to look at your process. Something is not working - and I believe it has something to do with our "if only" syndrome.

How long do we continue to hold onto these players so tightly?

...even Marvin (yes, there are still people that think he needs a chance).

Agreed, Marvin should have never been resigned at his price IMO. Add, if only we had kept Jordan to your list also. Honestly, if I had to do it all over again I would probably get a job as a intern and try to work my way up to GM because I am convinced that we simply have never had a forward thinking GM. We could have traded down from that #2 pick since there was questions of who to pick and got 2 good players. Bobcats had 5 and 13 and Raptors had 7 and 16. We could have traded down with either one of those teams and picked Bynum and Danny Granger and been way better off.

• Premium Member

If only we had a PG...

Seems every year, there's another "if only" added to the list. What's more disturbing to me though is that these "if only's" seem to dictate how long we hold onto our players. Sooner than later, we've got to let go of "if only" and start thinking about how to really improve this team. Trades don't always work out, but sometimes they do. Free agents don't work out always, but sometimes they do. New coaches don't always work out, but sometimes they do.

The difference between us and most of the NBA is that they make things happen. Most of the NBA has been to the conference finals/finals as well. At some point, after being unable to escape the 2nd round for what seems like eternity, you've got to look at your process. Something is not working - and I believe it has something to do with our "if only" syndrome.

How long do we continue to hold onto these players so tightly?

...even Marvin (yes, there are still people that think he needs a chance).

For us, there's a direct correlation to our decision makers and our progress.

Here's the for instance.

When we brought in BK, we decided to start over and build from the draft.

Here's what we did with our lottery picks:

Josh Childress, Marvin Williams, Shelden Williams, Al Horford, Acie Law.

Bolded are the players that are still Hawks.

Bolded are the players that are starters in this league

In Blue are the players that were drafted 1-5.

This is a pitiful point. 3 top 5 picks and only 1 of them is starter quality.

5 players and only one of them is above serviceable.

Our problems start with our war room.

We trade OK.

We do OK to poor in FAcy (but that's a matter of perception because of our drafting).

We have hits with our late first round picks...

Josh, Teague, and Crawford are evidence of that.

However, when we have to go big and get somebody that makes a difference, we falter.

And that and that alone is why we have our IF ONLYs.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

However, when we have to go big and get somebody that makes a difference, we falter.

And that and that alone is why we have our IF ONLYs.

You'll never hear me disagree with how badly we screwed up our drafting and why we're in this position. Honestly, I've been pretty disgusted with our drafts and attitude towards the draft in all of my 20-something odd years as a fan. Getting past that though, how do you rectify the situation?

People are crying out for change, but for the past couple of years, nobody wants to touch the "core." Up until this season, I think even Marvin was untouchable. I think it's time to make that "big" move. That blockbuster deal...but it's not going to happen dangling Marvin, ZaZa, and Crawford. Free agency is not the ticket either, all of our money is tied up into these players we're so afraid to move.

The source is most definitely the front office - Babcock and BK were just downright pitiful at their jobs. However, I really have no opinion of Sund because I believe the little room he has to work with is built with walls of fledgling financial limitations and is completely micromanaged.

Is there hope for a ECF in our future? I think if we get serious ownership, get them out of the operation of the front office, and allow a real basketball mind to make REAL choices with the team.

• Premium Member

^^^ True Diesel, but all of that was on the previous GM. I actually like all of Sunds picks so far. I was never impressed with him in Seattle, but his scouts have done a good job of finding good players late in the draft here.

Edited by hawkman

If only I could win the lottery.

If only Jennifer Lopez would marry me and tell me I no longer had to work.

If only fried chicken and sweet tea were good for you.

If only the cartoon Silver Hawks would be made into a live action movie.

If only Beyonce thought it would be a good idea to walk the streets naked for one day.

If only male enhancement pills actually worked.

If only i had more time to work on this list.

If only more people would have a sense of humor.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

If only I could win the lottery.

If only Jennifer Lopez would marry me and tell me I no longer had to work.

If only fried chicken and sweet tea were good for you.

If only the cartoon Silver Hawks would be made into a live action movie.

If only Beyonce thought it would be a good idea to walk the streets naked for one day.

If only male enhancement pills actually worked.

If only i had more time to work on this list.

If only more people would have a sense of humor.

Wing of silver? Nerves of steel?

Partly metal? Partly real?

lol

You'll never hear me disagree with how badly we screwed up our drafting and why we're in this position. Honestly, I've been pretty disgusted with our drafts and attitude towards the draft in all of my 20-something odd years as a fan. Getting past that though, how do you rectify the situation?

People are crying out for change, but for the past couple of years, nobody wants to touch the "core." Up until this season, I think even Marvin was untouchable. I think it's time to make that "big" move. That blockbuster deal...but it's not going to happen dangling Marvin, ZaZa, and Crawford. Free agency is not the ticket either, all of our money is tied up into these players we're so afraid to move.

The source is most definitely the front office - Babcock and BK were just downright pitiful at their jobs. However, I really have no opinion of Sund because I believe the little room he has to work with is built with walls of fledgling financial limitations and is completely micromanaged.

Is there hope for a ECF in our future? I think if we get serious ownership, get them out of the operation of the front office, and allow a real basketball mind to make REAL choices with the team.

Wretch your exactly right. Talent evaluation in the front office is where the main problem is. If you don't evalute talent correctly it can burn you in the bud and the team never gets over the hump. Amazing what a quality GM can do for at team example the Falcon's and Dimitroff. It didn't take long to turn it around after so many pitiful GMs of the past. In the NBA you simply can't blow top 5 picks and the Hawks blew all except Horford.How BK kept his job so long is a mystery and led us down the path where we are now. The Hawks have parts but don't know how to play as a unit at least against better teams. Beating up the bad,average and sometimes quality teams everything seems fine but when the day comes playing against better teams the Hawks fold.

It's time to trade even the core to get the right pieces and a better team concept of playing defense and rotation of the ball on offense. The Hawks lack basketball IQ and have no real leader.It's been this way for awhile yet management doesn't do anything except hope the pieces magicially come together which it never does.

Edited by thescout5

• Premium Member

^^^ True Diesel, but all of that was on the previous GM. I actually like all of Sunds picks so far. I was never impressed with him in Seattle, but his scouts have done a good job of finding good players late in the draft here.

Honestly, BK could find good late picks and he was limited by a price cap too.

I liked Donta. I liked Solo. I like Josh Smith. Even Diaw turned out to be OK...

but when we had the most on the line is when BK would FU.

• Premium Member

BK's problem has become the ongoing issue with us. He tried to build an unconventional team. Hellbent on doing so, he ignored common sense with a fury...and screwed us for years to come.

...but we're still holding onto the remnants of his foolishness.

• Like 2

If only we had a PG...

I have always found it ironic that we unloaded JT and after the following season brought in Joe. I wonder how it would have worked out if we had both of them.

BK brought us Al Horford, Josh Smith, and Joe Johnson our core in which has 7 all-star appearances. Sund has not brought a single guy that is all-star quality or could push the team to the next level and that includes Hinrich and Jamal. He has also ignored size when drafting and trying to make trades. He has failed to recognize we need to get bigger. BK atleast tried to correct most of his mistakes. He did trade Sheldon and crew for Bibby whom helped us get to the next level. Neither of Sund's moves has helped us get to the next level, Jamal nor Hinrich because we were already in the 2nd round before either showed up. Sund's best chance is Teague helps us get to ECFinals next year or he actually makes a good trade for a C and drafts a C or SF. I think he can do it but he probably want or atleast that's what history says about him

• Moderators

BK brought us Al Horford, Josh Smith, and Joe Johnson our core in which has 7 all-star appearances. Sund has not brought a single guy that is all-star quality or could push the team to the next level and that includes Hinrich and Jamal. He has also ignored size when drafting and trying to make trades. He has failed to recognize we need to get bigger. BK atleast tried to correct most of his mistakes. He did trade Sheldon and crew for Bibby whom helped us get to the next level. Neither of Sund's moves has helped us get to the next level, Jamal nor Hinrich because we were already in the 2nd round before either showed up. Sund's best chance is Teague helps us get to ECFinals next year or he actually makes a good trade for a C and drafts a C or SF. I think he can do it but he probably want or atleast that's what history says about him

Give Sund tons of cap space to get a max free agent and give him lots of lottery picks and I suspect he will also put together a core with some all-star appearances. Definitely comparing apples to oranges here.

BK's handling of the lottery picks destroyed this team's window to be championship quality. Trading for Bibby doesn't correct things after passing on Paul, for example.

Likewise, getting us to the "next level" was easy for Knight since we started off as one of the worst teams in the entire NBA. It is much harder to move the team to Conference Finalists when you don't have a guy who is a true star.

That isn't a big endorsement of Sund but it is a critique of BK.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

Give Sund tons of cap space to get a max free agent and give him lots of lottery picks and I suspect he will also put together a core with some all-star appearances. Definitely comparing apples to oranges here.

BK's handling of the lottery picks destroyed this team's window to be championship quality. Trading for Bibby doesn't correct things after passing on Paul, for example.

Likewise, getting us to the "next level" was easy for Knight since we started off as one of the worst teams in the entire NBA. It is much harder to move the team to Conference Finalists when you don't have a guy who is a true star.

That isn't a big endorsement of Sund but it is a critique of BK.

I cannot believe how long it has taken many to realize how bad BK was.

Sund is no better though. At best he is a "journeyman" GM.

I am unconvinced that Teague can maintain any form of consistency. The Hinrich trade looks like a mistake as he is on a Bibby like negative trajectory. Sund has also boxed the team in from a contract/financial perspective. JJ's contract is going to be an albatross in a few years.

• Premium Member

I cannot believe how long it has taken many to realize how bad BK was.

Sund is no better though. At best he is a "journeyman" GM.

I am unconvinced that Teague can maintain any form of consistency. The Hinrich trade looks like a mistake as he is on a Bibby like negative trajectory. Sund has also boxed the team in from a contract/financial perspective. JJ's contract is going to be an albatross in a few years.

Sund's moves are baby sitting moves. We have not really regressed and we have not taken a big step forward either. We're in a holding pattern which is dangerous in sports.

We do have some semblence of a team.

But I have never viewed Sund as a guy wtih a plan.