• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lack of talent evaluation haunts Atlanta

DJlaysitup

Obviously we have made some serious mistakes with high draft picks (Marvin/Shelden/Chillz)...but the thing that also gets on my nerves is how we have lost out on quality players in the second round when we had pretty nice picks there. Two players that always get on my nerves are Milsap and Barea. I really expected Milsap to be a quality NBA player - even though he came out of a lesser NCAA program - just because what he had accomplished. Did I expect him to be a far better player (as a second rounder) than Shelden? No...I actually expected both of them to be good...but I sure wouldn't have passed on Milsap in the second round.

J.B. apparently followed Barea and knew about him and propped him for a second round pick. Of course our Hawks (needing PG help) passed on him. Now he is getting 10-20 point scorer off the bench with a good assist ratio for Dallas. Where were our scouts?

I guess my point is - who the heck was in charge of talent evaluation when we were wallowing in high draft picks? We pooped away most of our high ones (2/5/6) and also pooped away multiple really good 2nd round chances.

It's somewhat miraculous that we are even where we are right now with all the dumb stuff the ASG and "management" has pulled in the "rebuilding" process. If not for Smoove it would be a total strikeout. :banghead:

We have improved a bit lately - AL was a no-brainer and is doing well and it looks like Teague has what it takes to at least compete...but we lost so much over those "sucking years" that we have only end of the bench type depth.

For me - PLEASE SELL ASG - let's get a new owner and a management crew that can actually judge talent. We will never get those picks back - but at least we can stop making the same type dumb mistakes in the future.

(and you don't EVEN want to get me started on the JJ S-n-T :doh: )

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 1

Since you're on this street, you might as well include Monte Ellis. BK took Salim over him.

As many have said a million times on this board, this team's owners would not be talking about empty seats in the arena if they had someone competent to run the show when they had higher draft picks...

I'm afraid its been this way forever. The Hawks have seldom picked up anyone in the draft. Remember Cal Bowlder (sp?). Every few years one of the local columnists is snarky enough to print a list of Hawks draft picks over the years. Not a pretty picture.

It shouldn't be a surprise. They can't even recognize talen sitting on thier bench or Jeff Teague would have played some more minutes before the final round of the playoffs.

BTW - you could add Wesley Matthews to the list. I don't think he was even drafted and his dad played for the Hawks long ago. Seems like they would have given him a tryout at least.

:beathorse:

I must add.........there are 29 GMs guilty of passing on Barea........can't say I blame them either since there have not been many people his size be successful.

Your right though. If you want to get to the next level without going over the luxury tax then your scouting must be perfect..........like how the Spurs were able to maintain after their 1st championship by reloading with Parker, Ginobli, Blair, and Splitter all late in the draft. I also think James Anderson will end up being a good player for the Spurs.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

:beathorse:

I must add.........there are 29 GMs guilty of passing on Barea........can't say I blame them either since there have not been many people his size be successful.

Your right though. If you want to get to the next level without going over the luxury tax then your scouting must be perfect..........like how the Spurs were able to maintain after their 1st championship by reloading with Parker, Ginobli, Blair, and Splitter all late in the draft. I also think James Anderson will end up being a good player for the Spurs.

If I were the Knicks or a team with a ton of disposable income, I would offer the Spurs management and scouting team double what they are making now to come work for me. Those guys have done an amazing job over the years with their picks.

That sure would have been money much better spent than Isiah Thomas and his machinations (Eddy Curry, etc.).

• Premium Member

If I were the Knicks or a team with a ton of disposable income, I would offer the Spurs management and scouting team double what they are making now to come work for me. Those guys have done an amazing job over the years with their picks.

That sure would have been money much better spent than Isiah Thomas and his machinations (Eddy Curry, etc.).

Isiah had a good eye for talent but severely underestimated team chemistry.

Isiah had a good eye for talent but severely underestimated team chemistry.

This is true. His teams had a great amount of talent and he turned late round picks into Ariza, Chandler, Lee and Robinson but the problem was that he acquired too many me first players at a time with Marbury, Jamal, ZBo, Francis and Curry.

This is true. His teams had a great amount of talent and he turned late round picks into Ariza, Chandler, Lee and Robinson but the problem was that he acquired too many me first players at a time with Marbury, Jamal, ZBo, Francis and Curry.

Thomas could pick individual talent but had no idea how to mix the ingredients for a winning recipe. That and cap management are his flaws.

Thomas coaced a Pacers team that was put together perfectly without having a superstar but he could not be the "chef" as Bill Parcels says.

After leading the Pistons PG, that team was put together perfectly you would think he knew what he is was doing. Heck, Joe Dumars put together the perfect team but he did it by aquiring veterans through trades (Billups, R. Wallce, B. Wallace). Thomas tried that same method but chose the wrong veterans in Marbury, Francis, and Curry. Plus his cap was already wrecked from the previous GM paying A. Houston so much.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

OK, let's kill this myth about the freakin Spurs...

The Spurs are given too much credit.

If David Stern had screwed the Celtics by giving the Hawks Tim Duncan.. guess what.. we'd look like great scouts too.

The Spurs have made 2 good picks... Manu and the Frenchman.

However, how many times have they missed.

They are dinosaurs right now because they have missed so much.

About Isiah... He couldn't manage money worth a damn...

But

He drafted Trevor Ariza at 43. He drafted David Lee at 30. He signed Nate Robinson, Matt Barnes, and Wilson Chandler late draft. He traded for Zach Randolph and was scrutinized for getting Zebo and Jamal Crawford.

I would say that Isiah's late picks are better than Buford's.

OK, let's kill this myth about the freakin Spurs...

The Spurs are given too much credit.

If David Stern had screwed the Celtics by giving the Hawks Tim Duncan.. guess what.. we'd look like great scouts too.

The Spurs have made 2 good picks... Manu and the Frenchman.

However, how many times have they missed.

They are dinosaurs right now because they have missed so much.

About Isiah... He couldn't manage money worth a damn...

But

He drafted Trevor Ariza at 43. He drafted David Lee at 30. He signed Nate Robinson, Matt Barnes, and Wilson Chandler late draft. He traded for Zach Randolph and was scrutinized for getting Zebo and Jamal Crawford.

I would say that Isiah's late picks are better than Buford's.

There is no myth.....Aside from the Duncan pick which was a no brainer....The Spurs do deserve the credit they get when it comes to evaluating talent. Spurs have been picking late in the 1st round and 2nd round for years. Tony Parker, Manu Ginobli, George Hill, Gary Neal, Luis Scola (traded), DaJuan Blair. Tony and Manu alone doesn't even compare to Isiah. Granted, they have also had misses but it hasn't prevented them from staying competitive. How many guys drafted that late have been #1 and #2 options on their teams and not just roll players.

AS much as it pains me to say: The Spurs may be dinosaurs but I still have more faith in them getting back to championship level before the Hawks get close.

Edited by jaybird

Asides from Rick Sunds rambling on about this "core" lovefest and being bent over by other teams in trades, he does have 1 good quality about him that separates him from most of our previous GMs........HE IS ACTUALLY DRAFTING WELL! YES I DID TAKE MY MEDS!

Do you think BK would have selected Teague with late first round pick or anybody worth something? I think not! He has also drafted Pape Sy. Now I know many of us haven't seen much out of him yet because we understand the dude is still a bit raw. But considering how well french players have been able to translate their game better to NBA than their own french leagues (Boris Diaw Tony Parker), the guy is actually flashing signs of being a possible contributor as long as drew doesn't give him the Jeff Teague treatment. I guess thats why I am not feeling as sick to my stomach this year compared to past drafts.

I still wish we could go after Rick Adelman. He will turn these guys around in no time. Its amazing the job he has done with both Sacramento and houston. If the rockets would get their head out of their hole, they would realize they are messing up something beautiful. Oh well...not my problem

• Premium Member

There is no myth.....Aside from the Duncan pick which was a no brainer....The Spurs do deserve the credit they get when it comes to evaluating talent. Spurs have been picking late in the 1st round and 2nd round for years. Tony Parker, Manu Ginobli, George Hill, Gary Neal, Luis Scola (traded), DaJuan Blair. Tony and Manu alone doesn't even compare to Isiah. Granted, they have also had misses but it hasn't prevented them from staying competitive. How many guys drafted that late have been #1 and #2 options on their teams and not just roll players.

AS much as it pains me to say: The Spurs may be dinosaurs but I still have more faith in them getting back to championship level before the Hawks get close.

The only way they do that is if they find another Duncan.

Let's face it, Duncan makes those around him better. Not to take anything away from these guys.. oh.. and by the way.. have you looked at the Scola trade?? That's up there with Rumeal Robinson for Mookie. Say it aint so.

However, Three players... Ginobili, Parker, and Scola.. That tells me that their foriegn scouting is good. DaJuan Blair fell.... FELLL Into their lap. Who is Gary Neal???