• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Marvin's closest comparables after 6 seasons

sturt

• Premium Member

And so....

The next logical question that occurs to me is a more subjective one...

If Sund is out there marketing that Marvin's comparables track is something between Horry and McKey to-date, (a) what teams out there would appear to be suitors for such a player right now, and (b) what do they have to offer us, if anything?

Or, on the other hand, I'm going to ask the question that Diesel has been so active in attempting to pre-emptively strike down...

Assuming Marvin continues to track this way... and of course, there's certainly a decent chance he could bump down to Tim Thomas or a significantly lesser chance that he could bump up to Lamar Odom... is that potentially "enough?"

Yes, it's an old question, but one situated in a new light, I think, since we can think in terms of some comparables...

And, a related question, though more a matter of skill set... is there a role for him if we were somehow able to climb the ladder even further next season, or is he less of a fit here for our situation and thus better shipped off somewhere else?

I know it's particularly difficult to answer those questions in any balanced way for probably the majority reading this.... that is, my perception is that so many fans here have long ago made a decision on Marvin, and of course, one that is very strongly embedded in the context of whether he could ever reach a level of play that is consistent with being selected #2 in any draft, let alone one where he was selected ahead of Deron and CP3.

And we have pessimists and optimists among us. But I'm begging for some objectivity that this comparables thing can lend to the conversation now after six seasons of quantitative data...

Under this track, he's not going to be better than Deron or CP3. What's more, he's also not ever going to justify his #2 slot...

Given his comparables, he'd have been more appropriately a mid-lottery guy.

Okay, so pretend then that we did draft him after all somewhere around #8... set aside the draft-day expectations... admit that the people who said he didn't have a ceiling were wrong... he's now 25 and conventionally-speaking, we can be almost certain that any improvements in his game will be only slight...

Address, then, the two questions above (... and I'm especially interested in hearing from those of you who haven't voiced any strong opinions on Marvin yet, since those who have are probably mostly only going to be re-hashing the same that they've been saying forever...)

He's 7th maybe 8th man off the bench for a good team. He's so clumsy that its almost painful to watch alot of the time. With his complete lack of ball handling he's pretty much a 6'9 spot up shooter thats not that great of a shooter. With his athletic ability no way should that be what this guy is relegated to. The only time I feel confident that Marv is going to make a shot is at the free throw line. He can get hot and knock down a couple of jumpers but thats about it. He's nonexistent 8 out of 10 nights. He's a decent defender and thats what I like the most about him, if he can take a bruce bowen type approach to the game I would love him

Marvin is a decent to sometimes good role player, simple as that. The problem with him and this team is that his contract is steep given the ownership's financial goals and the role that he plays on the team. Now he may only make a few hundred k more than plenty of his contemporaries at the position while his statistical production and impact is actually greater than theirs putting the statement of him being "overpaid" in context, the fact remains that this team is better served breaking up that amount into multiple players. At the time it was inked it was felt to be fair (and looking across the league, it is) but few also felt that it would be hard to not only justify but live up to if a year later Joe was retained because both the roles that Marvin is asked to fill and he is comfortable with will stay the same while dollar commitments increased to even fewer players. Even if the event were to occur where he "breaks out" as a player that just means that another player's salary will now be restrictive and a trade or salary dump will still have to occur to ensure the stability of this ball club barring a serious influx of money or a friendly CBA.

• Premium Member

For what it's worth and no insult intended to those who've followed up thus far, but I'm less interested in what amounts to more sidebar, albeit related, commentary... and really interested in gaining some specific answers to the questions posed if you don't mind. Aside from Dr. Reality, who I think is probably saying Marvin is better sent somewhere else, if you're intending to answer, I'm not understanding. And from Reality, I'd like to know an example of a team that might be a good fit, and better, what they might have that could interest us(?).

Edited by sturt

• Premium Member

To answer your question...

Marvin should be shopped to the Lakers. He could possibly be a starter there if they get rid of Artest. Mike Brown likes to surround a scorer with spot up shooters who can play defense. Marvin adds the extra quality that if pushed he can rebound. Even though Marvin doesn't stop anybody, people like to believe that he's a good defender. PLUS...playing beside Kobe will help Marvin (if they get a PG).

The Lakers don't have any money, but they have a ton of bad contracts.

• Premium Member

Cunningham tweet within the hour... confirms a suspicion of mine...

ajchawks # Hawks F Marvin Williams had surgery to alleviate bulging disk in back. Expected to return to bball activity in 6-8 wks

Seems to me that, just generally, physicians try to do anything and everything to avoid back surgery... normally a last resort. I know two season ago Roy Oswalt had prescribed to him a number of off-season swimming pool exercises, and that those seemed to be enough in his case. Marvin's had two back episodes now, one at the end of 09 and one in the middle of this past season. Not good.

• Premium Member

Cunningham tweet within the hour... confirms a suspicion of mine...

Seems to me that, just generally, physicians try to do anything and everything to avoid back surgery... normally a last resort. I know two season ago Roy Oswalt had prescribed to him a number of off-season swimming pool exercises, and that those seemed to be enough in his case. Marvin's had two back episodes now, one at the end of 09 and one in the middle of this past season. Not good.

Marvin had a bad fall this past season. His game was garbage before the fall.