• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

As a Hawks Fan are you afraid to trade Josh Smith?

JTB

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So put yourself in one of the ASG owners shoes. Would you vote to trade or keep hometown J- Smoove?

I know this is a common topic especially with the smith for bynum rumors but I just wanted to provide a poll to see actually how many hawk fans are willing to get rid of Josh.

Let me be real and share with you guys. Im actually scared to get rid of Josh though I admit he is a bonehead alot of times but I fear us trading him and Josh going somewhere and he suddenly becomes that all-star we see on some nights but on a consistent basis.

In regards to the rumor: I mean getting bynum would be great but bynums health scares the hell out of me and unlike LA the Hawks need all their players all season long and not just the playoffs. but then imagine smith on LA what if Kobe, Brown and the rest of the LA veterans make Smith that all star he should be here. Most of us would be mad as hell!

............unless we are able to get a CP3 for Josh i say we keep him and getting a CP3 doesnt look possible. I mean I will also go off and say I rather see Smith coached by a complete new voice thats a proven coach like Rick Adelman before we trade him away! To me he just has too much all star potential and value. we need to find a way of getting it out of him!

Edited by JTB

• Premium Member

So put yourself in one of the ASG owners shoes. Would you vote to trade or keep hometown J- Smoove?

I was more open to trading him before I was studying 82games info that showed him to actually be in the mix for more of our best 5-mans than Joe. And, I continue to see just enough growth out of Josh each season that I can't stand not to see how much he might grow the next season. Like anyone else, I'd have to know what someone else is offering, but I don't think I'd be determined to make a deal short of something that is by almost anyone's measure an even trade.

Afraid to trade him?

No.

Not if him leaving balances the team out. His hometown status should NOT be the reason to keep him. Nor should his potential that he hasn't fully realized yet ( or has he )? You don't trade him for garbage though. Any trade involving him should be for a legit player ( or combination of players ).

The bottom line with Josh is that he'll never be a good shooter for an entire season . . nor will he'll be able to create his jumpshot off the dribble. So the only thing left for him to do is to develop a post game. If he refuses to work on doing that full time, then he'll never be much better than what he is right now ( which is a good, borderline all-star player ).

No one on this team is a box office attraction ( at home or on the road ).

I'll tell you what though ( and I said this 4 years ago ). The role that Josh may have to assume on this team, is a role similar to Lamar Odom's. Bring him off the bench and let him be the super sub 6th man type that plays 30 - 34 minutes a game. If we can find that mythical, starter caliber center, we can start the center + Horford at PF, and bring Josh off the bench to play both PF and SF ( but mainly PF ). At the end of games, play him at whatever position will help us the most.

I know this is a common topic especially with the smith for bynum rumors but I just wanted to provide a poll to see actually how many hawk fans are willing to get rid of Josh.

Let me be real and share with you guys. Im actually scared to get rid of Josh though I admit he is a bonehead alot of times but I fear us trading him and Josh going somewhere and he suddenly becomes that all-star we see on some nights but on a consistent basis.

In regards to the rumor: I mean getting bynum would be great but bynums health scares the hell out of me and unlike LA the Hawks need all their players all season long and not just the playoffs. but then imagine smith on LA what if Kobe, Brown and the rest of the LA veterans make Smith that all star he should be here. Most of us would be mad as hell!

............unless we are able to get a CP3 for Josh i say we keep him and getting a CP3 doesnt look possible. I mean I will also go off and say I rather see Smith coached by a complete new voice thats a proven coach like Rick Adelman before we trade him away! To me he just has too much all star potential and value. we need to find a way of getting it out of him!

"all star" potential means little to this team right now concerning Josh Id much rather be concerned about building a title contender than simply worrying about Josh making a all star team.

• Premium Member

I think it all depends on what we get back.

If we trade Smoove for a good Center or a young prospect that can add an impact or along with Marvin to get a really good player ,then let the trading begin.

If we trade Smoove out of frustration, I say... hold on.

• Premium Member

I don't care if Smoove becomes an All-Star somewhere else. What matters to me is that it's pretty clear that he'll never "get it" as long as he's here in Atlanta.

• Like 1

• Admin

I have to agree with Diesel ... you trade him if you can get the right player(s) back.

A change of environement might be good for both the team and Josh.

I don't think we should trade him because he is a 'bonehead' but if it is good for the team.

No

It has to make us a better team, outside of a clear winner deal which is very limited, I don't think Smith will be traded. We will see.

What every other sensible person is saying. If it makes us a better team do it, but no way you make a lateral move for Josh just because you are tired of him doing whatever it is that pisses you off. If I were in the ASG or even Sund's shoes there would be no fear because I trust my decision making and talent evaluation. On the other hand, I am afraid that the ASG or Sund will make another trade in which they give up too much and get too little back like the Hinrich trade. I would much rather get some people who know how to evaluate players in here before any move is made.

Edited by TRUEINTELLECTPLAYA

What every other sensible person is saying. If it makes us a better team do it, but no way you make a lateral move for Josh just because you are tired of him doing whatever it is that pisses you off. If I were in the ASG or even Sund's shoes there would be no fear because I trust my decision making and talent evaluation. On the other hand, I am afraid that the ASG or Sund will make another trade in which they give up too much and get too little back like the Hinrich trade. I would much rather get some people who know how to evaluate players in here before any move is made.

LOL....i guess a better question would have been, as a fan do you trust the ASG to get back legit talent if they traded smith?!....hahahahahaha

• Like 1

I have to agree with Diesel ... you trade him if you can get the right player(s) back.

A change of environement might be good for both the team and Josh.

I don't think we should trade him because he is a 'bonehead' but if it is good for the team.

Plus 1.

Think he needs to leave his hometown to grow up a bit.

I use the Milwaukee example.

Josh to Milwaukee is enough salary to net - Andrew Bogut or Maggette and Dooling or Salmons, Ilyasova and Sanders

Joe to Milwaukee is enough Salary to net - Bogut, Ilyasova, Jennings and 1million dollars of space. or Salmons, Delfina, Ilyasova and Jennings Plus 2 million in space.

No to Josh, Yes to Joe.

The problem with trading Josh is you can only take back salary for salary and 12 million will only buy you so much to fill out needs. Trading Joe, returns back 50% more player in salary.

I'm not saying who you could get in real value, I'm saying how much their salaries allow us to bring back to fill our holes. Trading Josh for a 12 million dollar player does not make us a contender.

Edited by thecampster

No, for all the good things Josh does, he equally does bad. Stats don't take in account momentum turning turnovers/missed jumpers or playing outside your role on a team. That's why guys like A.I. don't win.

Edited by Supporter
  • Like 1

Definitely not afraid to trade him. If we do trade him and he turns his act around and becomes a great player in this league, I'd be thrilled for him. I don't see any way that he does that as a hawk.

• Like 1

As a Hawks fan if we trade Josh Smith I'm afraid I want be a Hawks fan!! He's my favorite player since Dominique and I've been a fan since. If we repeat history and curse the franchise by trading a Josh Smith who is not even close to his prime it would be hard for me to be a fan. He came straight out of highschool!! He's younger than Lebron & although it may be a slow growth there is growth in his game every year!!