• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Things Hawks players need to work on

TheNorthCydeRises

This should keep some of you hardcore b-ball heads occupied for several hours. If you want to learn about how basketball is played, these series of videos are a great tutorial to give you a glimpse inside what wins in the NBA.

LARRY DREW

Your motion offense was a good idea, but wasn't exactly a good fit for this team. We didn't have guys who could consistently make a shot, nor did our players move within the offense like they should've. So you may want a modification of that. But the real issue with this team is defense. If you are going to continue to play offensive minded players, and expect them to defend at a high level, they must be able to understand team defensive concepts. People like Hubie Brown, so I'll just let him explain it all. Damn . . I can listen to this all day. What a great teacher.

Looks like the way the forum is set up, that I can't post all of these vids at once. So I'll leak them out a little at a time.

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 2

JOE JOHNSON

Become a more efficient "triple threat" offensive player in the half court . . . by using the Jab Step, Crossover, and Shot Fake to set up your shot. It will also help you draw more fouls if you get players up in the air for the shot fake, and you jump into him ( ala Paul Pierce ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nChsuzllPhs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4g8KjMb-G8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJbNiXVfOJU

JOSH SMITH

Become a better post player as a hybrid PF. We need you within 15 feet of the basket a lot more, not 20 feet away, waiting on the pass to shoot the open jumper. Develop your post game as that hybrid PF, and your offensive arsenal will take you to All-Star level. Use your speed to your advantage. The other thing you must do more is BOX OUT. Matter of fact, that should be your top priority next year . . boxing out. If you listen to this guy, you could average 11 rebounds a game next year, with your superior athletic ability.

AL HORFORD

I've already talked about what you need to do in the other thread. It's all about becoming the best post player you possibly can. Learn from Hakeem Olajuwon, in that aspect. But the other thing that you need to work on, is your post defense. And it wouldn't hurt to become a little better of a shot blocker as well.

MARVIN WILLIAMS

We need you to be a specialty player on both offense and defense. As an offensive player, it's all about developing your jumper as much as you can. To be a viable player on this team, you MUST be able to make the open 15 - 25 footer. This MUST HAPPEN for you. As a defensive player, it's about trying to become the best man defender on the team. That means that you guard JJ or Jamal in practice, whenever possible.

JEFF TEAGUE

We all liked what you did in the Chicago series. Now it's time to prove that you can be a complete PG. You MUST learn how to lead a team. And the key element of this, is becoming a MASTER of the pick and roll and pick and pop in the halfcourt set. I know Drew told you to work on your 3-ball, but you becoming a pick and roll/pop master is much more important. And please, know the plays so that your teammates will have complete trust in you.

JAMAL CRAWFORD

If you come back to the team, you already know what it is. It's all about your defense.

KIRK HINRICH

Offensively, your midrange and long range shooting game is average to above average. But you only shot 53% at the rim while in Atlanta. So maybe you need to get a little stronger and finish in traffic better. Overall as a PG, if Teague isn't ready, we need you to be a better playmaker as well.

ZAZA PACHULIA

You miss too many layups too. You go up strong, but out of control at times. Gotta make those layups. So practice on your power layup. And if you could defensive rebound more consistently, maybe it's YOU that could be the elusive starting center that we need here. Let the master of defensive rebounding teach you a thing or two. Great old school clip here.

Great info. Now if we can only get these multimillion dollar athletes to listen and do whats on these tapes.I do have to question the work ethic of most of these players. How is it you can't learn a few of these things every off season? Heck to the hardcore fans we'd be working on this stuff all the time to improve and get better. I guess you can lead a horse to drink but will they? I hope they mature (the players) but without someone pushing them like Drew or find it within themselves it'll be the same ole bad fundamental Hawks next year.