• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If you could trade Smith, Horford or Johnson for the same player(s) and or pick(s) who would you trade?

PaceRam

Just curious on who (Smith, Horford or Johnson) would you trade if the trade would land you the same deal. I am sure I am in the minority but I honestly think I would trade Johnson. Again, I am sure I am in the minority but I think with the right coaching Smith could be an elite player in the NBA and I think Horford is a steady (not flashy) player who is a true asset to the Hawks. As good as Johnson is I do believe his salary will eventually (if, not already) hurt the Hawks and their pursuit to get quality players to fill out their roster/bench. And, I am probably wrong on this one since I don't get to see as many Hawks games as I would like (actually, I see very few games each season and they are on TV) but for some reason sometime I think Johnson actually slows down the Hawks flow of the game. I do think Johnson is a great player and he has been a tremendous player for the Hawks but it seems to me the Hawks want to run the floor at a faster pace than they are used to doing the past few years and I am not sure that is Johnson's strong point.

This is a tough question because they all create different holes if each are traded. If you are asking which one is the least valuable to us...

Johnson.

And it's not even close. With his contract, his age for a SG, the fact that he's already reached his ceiling, it's no contest.

I say Josh or Joe. Joe only because of his contract. I do really like him as a player, but not as a #1 option.

Josh frustrates me more than any other player I can ever remember and if money was not a factor, he would be far and away my choice.

I'm willing to give horf another year to show that something was wrong w/ him at the end of last year.

Josh is definitely frustrating, and Horf has his identity issues, but Joe (because of the contract) is the least valuable to our team.

In the midst of their individual issues, both of our big guys are signed for good contracts and provide more value.

The problem is they are not big enough big buys to play PF and C consistenly come playoff time.

I personally think JJ will bounce back next year. With a healed shooting elbow I would expect his shooting percentage to return to what he is used to (37% 3pt & 45% FG). We have seen shooters have long careers. I'd ride it out with JJ another season or 3 before I give him up for Rip Hamilton's 2 years of bloated salary.

Edited by coachx

Just curious on who (Smith, Horford or Johnson) would you trade if the trade would land you the same deal. I am sure I am in the minority but I honestly think I would trade Johnson. Again, I am sure I am in the minority but I think with the right coaching Smith could be an elite player in the NBA and I think Horford is a steady (not flashy) player who is a true asset to the Hawks. As good as Johnson is I do believe his salary will eventually (if, not already) hurt the Hawks and their pursuit to get quality players to fill out their roster/bench. And, I am probably wrong on this one since I don't get to see as many Hawks games as I would like (actually, I see very few games each season and they are on TV) but for some reason sometime I think Johnson actually slows down the Hawks flow of the game. I do think Johnson is a great player and he has been a tremendous player for the Hawks but it seems to me the Hawks want to run the floor at a faster pace than they are used to doing the past few years and I am not sure that is Johnson's strong point.

The only thing that matters is if the style of play we go with . . wins.

How many "running teams" were in the playoffs and had success? This is a league in which defense, rebounding, and halfcourt execution wins championships. Phoenix, with all of the good to great players they have, and the best offensive system in the league, has never won a dang thing, let alone get to the NBA Finals.

Take away JJ from the team last year, and we don't even get out of the Orlando series.

People keep hoping for Josh and Al to reach their potential . . but what if they have? No one wants to accept that fact that maybe Josh and Al are no more than good complimentary pieces that will always have limitations as players. Josh can't consistently make a perimeter shot, or even create a perimeter shot for himself. And while Horford was the best OPEN midrange shooter in the league last year, his post game is garbage. If Horford doesn't fully commit to developing that post game, he'll always be a complimentary piece.

Unless something drastically changes with the CBA, the history of this league has shown that guys with ridiculous contracts can and do get traded all the time, especially within the last 2 years of the end of the contract. Don't think for one minute that when JJ is making 25 mill in Year 5 of the deal, people who are looking to possibly get out from under longer contracts can and will deal with the Hawks. And if we happen get to Year 6 of JJ's deal with him making almost 25 million, that kind of expiring contract will be like a piece of gold to teams around the league.

People are worried about the wrong things, when it comes to JJ's contract. There is little change that if JJ goes into decline, the Hawks will NOT be on the hook for the full 6 yrs - 120+ million. He'll be able to be traded quite easily, especially to championship caliber teams looking for a complimentary piece, and don't care if they get rid of 2 or 3 non-essential contracts. Those teams have historically overpaid that "missing piece", and gladly parted with fringe pieces that didn't get them to that next level.

If we can get a superstar, Josh Smith

If we can't, Joe Johnson.

• Premium Member

JJ cuz it gets us out from under his contract and we have more flexibility

More flexibility to do what?

Let me explain it for you.

We trade JJ for ending contracts. We get this great thing called flexibility. We're still Atlanta. We will have the flexibility so that we can sign guys like:

Boris Diaw, Matt Barnes, etc.

Our next big signing with be for a star passed his prime... Like Gerald Wallace. We get Crash and he averages about 30 games a year.