• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Keith Benson

ATLFORLIFE

For the 48th pick in a weak draft, I'm fine with Benson. 17 ppg, 10 rpg, and 3 bpg are pretty good college numbers, although Hollinger's draft rater didn't like him much - probably in large part because he was a 7-footer and a 4-year player who didn't start to put up numbers until his junior and senior years - most real 7-foot prospects don't have to stay in school for 4 years. But with that said, he has very good height and very good wingspan, and since he isn't particularly strong and won't dominate on the inside offensively, I like the fact that he's apparently skilled from the perimeter and shoots it well. He's a project, but maybe he'll be able to help us down the road one day.

For the 48th pick in a weak draft, I'm fine with Benson. 17 ppg, 10 rpg, and 3 bpg are pretty good college numbers, although Hollinger's draft rater didn't like him much - probably in large part because he was a 7-footer and a 4-year player who didn't start to put up numbers until his junior and senior years - most real 7-foot prospects don't have to stay in school for 4 years. But with that said, he has very good height and very good wingspan, and since he isn't particularly strong and won't dominate on the inside offensively, I like the fact that he's apparently skilled from the perimeter and shoots it well. He's a project, but maybe he'll be able to help us down the road one day.

He mentioned in that video that he was still growing into his body and wasn't really comfortable in it until his junior year so I'm not too worried about him being a 4 year player.

Is this supposed to be our enforcer? Our tough guy who will do the dirty work? Meh, I guess it might happen.

So are you of the opinion that we should have drafted one of the numerous enforcers available with our 48th pick then? :ok:

• Like 1

So are you of the opinion that we should have drafted one of the numerous enforcers available with our 48th pick then? :ok:

I find it a little frustrating that we have numerous players, coaches, gms talk about our need for an enforcer and we go out and pick up a guy who is known for offense (if known at all) along with not having a motor. You can't be an enforcer without a having an above average motor. But like you said, who else was available?

However, our roster is shaping up to have a lot of bigs where none of them are enforcers (like someone said, Zaza is more of a reinforcer). It's dangerous to have too unbalanced of a roster like we had last year (remember when mo and marv went down? Imagine kirk or teague going down) and in my mind its dumb to be picking up cupcake centers to take up spots.

Edit: I see Harrelson was traded for cash at the 45th to the knicks. That guy is going to be a great enforcer, but maybe I am a little biased towards jorts. I know he wasn't "available" at 48 but he was certainly to be had at the right price. That's what happens though when Sund writes down his top 5 on a post it note and then hits the bed by 8. Although I think there was a Murder She Wrote marathon on so he might have stayed up until 9 for that.

Edited by hawksfanatic

I've learned a few things. 1.) Oakland is apparently in Michigan, not California. 2.) Saw his interview on Draft Express. He's very well spoken and seems quite intelligent. 3.) He's worked hard to improve. So maybe there is something here.

So he's a 48th pick originally thought to go higher, and some of the guys others had hoped for (Liggins from Ky, Hopson fron TN for ex) are undrafted, so they could end up in camp as well. Hope he does well. Maybe we got lucky with all those international guys being picked, it left him available for us.So far, I like his chances better than Pape Sy. May have to change my avatar.

Edited by Randy

On a college budget and depending on the affluence of your parents (or if they even care), meals outside of Cup Noodles are few and far between.

That, and when its your full time job to get in better shape (gain more muscle, loose fat, etc), I'm sure its a little easier.

I find it a little frustrating that we have numerous players, coaches, gms talk about our need for an enforcer and we go out and pick up a guy who is known for offense (if known at all) along with not having a motor. You can't be an enforcer without a having an above average motor. But like you said, who else was available?

However, our roster is shaping up to have a lot of bigs where none of them are enforcers (like someone said, Zaza is more of a reinforcer). It's dangerous to have too unbalanced of a roster like we had last year (remember when mo and marv went down? Imagine kirk or teague going down) and in my mind its dumb to be picking up cupcake centers to take up spots.

Edit: I see Harrelson was traded for cash at the 45th to the knicks. That guy is going to be a great enforcer, but maybe I am a little biased towards jorts. I know he wasn't "available" at 48 but he was certainly to be had at the right price. That's what happens though when Sund writes down his top 5 on a post it note and then hits the bed by 8. Although I think there was a Murder She Wrote marathon on so he might have stayed up until 9 for that.

I don't know I think we're too talent deficient when it comes to scoring in the paint so I'm glad we went that route and maybe Benson will be able to help, although maybe not this year. If we're going to get an enforcer I'd rather try and find him in FA like the Bulls did last year with Kurt Thomas. I don't know if Kurt is available but I'd try and get him or Reggie Evans in FA to be our tough guy PF that we really need.

Seen this guy play twice last year.

Once against Austin Peay ( my hometown college team ) during a holiday tournament around Thanksgiving. AP's frontline was smallish, and Benson completely dominated them. One of the better college games I saw last year too. That game went to OT and Oakland pulled it out. I think Benson got something like 20 points and 20 rebounds that game, with about 4 or 5 blocks.

Then I saw him again a few weeks later vs Tennessee when they went to Knoxville on a Vol replay of that game. UT had just come off of the biggest win of the year when they went up to Pittsburgh and beat them. Pitt was the #3 team in the country at that time. Vols were ranked #7 when Oakland came to Knoxville. Benson pretty much had his way vs Brian Williams and Tobias Harris ( who went in the 1st round ) in the 1st half of that game.

As far as how he'll be in the NBA, you're probably looking at guy who may be a slight upgrade over Josh Powell. Like Powell, he has range on his jumper out to around 20 feet and isn't going to bang in the post much. Hopefully, he rebounds and defends better than Powell did.

This is the Tennessee game I'm talking about

Edited by northcyde

Northcyde

thanks for posting the video. Here is what noticed:

1) Benson has a SF game in a 7' body. His jumper looks nice and fluid. He has range.

2) It looks like he has a little bit of a back to the basket game as well.

3) My gosh is he weak. He was getting moved off the block constantly. That has to be his number 1 priority.

4) Footwork looks OK, but not great. He is quick though, so if he can get better footwork he might turn into a good rebounder.

I just hope people understand exactly what this guy is. Please don't overrate him and expect him to be some sort of great find by Sund. Just keep everything in perspective and see how the kid turns out.

Exactly. His a project pick in a historically weak draft. He may never play in the NBA, or be 5 mpg guy. I think this was good value pick, but nothing or more.

Sweet! We got Solomon Jones Jr.

Another great draft with another promising player!

This guy looks nothing like Solo and plays nothing like him either. Solo might have been a better defender in college but Benson is far more gifted offensively. How many non-Dirk 7'ers have you seen that can shoot a near college 3 off the dribble like he showed in his highlight video a couple of times?

I don't know I think we're too talent deficient when it comes to scoring in the paint so I'm glad we went that route and maybe Benson will be able to help, although maybe not this year. If we're going to get an enforcer I'd rather try and find him in FA like the Bulls did last year with Kurt Thomas. I don't know if Kurt is available but I'd try and get him or Reggie Evans in FA to be our tough guy PF that we really need.

That would be great except for one small problem. All indications are that he doesn't have a low post game, more of a jump shooter. That is one thing we do not need.

That would be great except for one small problem. All indications are that he doesn't have a low post game, more of a jump shooter. That is one thing we do not need.

Looking at the videos posted it looks like he's pretty agile and has a few nice moves. I'm not saying he's Hakeem but it looks like at worst he's as good as Al was coming out of college at scoring on the block and it can't hurt that he's got a good jumper either.

He actually seems to have a back to the basket post game. His feet are actually OK. His biggest issue is strength. If he can get stronger, his post game will look better. Right now he seems to use his quickness to get around guys in the post.

Big point is that he isn't a savior of the franchise. At best he's a role player that can give us short minutes or fill-in in an emergency. That is value at 48.

I just read a quote about benson from a piece by MC. It says benson has been working out three times a week so far with his new weight trainer. Whoah there, we sure do have a gym rat on our hands!!!

/sarcasm

• Premium Member

Agreed, not Solomon Jr... very possibly Josh Powell, Jr.... you do have to like that he's got a frame that can probably put 15 lbs of muscle on, and be a contributor, albeit not a rotation guy, and in 2012-13, not 2011-12.

I just read a quote about benson from a piece by MC. It says benson has been working out three times a week so far with his new weight trainer. Whoah there, we sure do have a gym rat on our hands!!!

/sarcasm

Hey now how many times have YOU been to the gym this week? :alcoholic: ... I can tell you that I pay for a gym membership every month but usually find an excuse not to go because I'm kinda lazy and I get plenty of exercise playing center field for my softball teams 3-4 games week ... of course I wash that exercise down with a few beers as well so it all evens out LOL.

• Moderators

So he's a 48th pick originally thought to go higher, and some of the guys others had hoped for (Liggins from Ky, Hopson fron TN for ex) are undrafted, so they could end up in camp as well. Hope he does well. Maybe we got lucky with all those international guys being picked, it left him available for us.So far, I like his chances better than Pape Sy. May have to change my avatar.

Liggins was drafted by the Magic, FYI. Not sure why we are seeing that appearing multiple times. Maybe people stopped watching the draft after the Hawks picked?