• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Singleton and Jordan C for Hinrich

TheNorthCydeRises

Remember that folks.

That's essentially what we gave up to bring Kirk here. Either Kirk needs to perform at a high level next season, or Sund needs to trade him for a player or players who will help us in the long run. All I know is that those are 2 players I would've LOVED to have coming off of our bench for the next few years. One is a gunner . . the other is a perimeter defensive hybrid of Josh Smith and Deshawn Stevenson.

Plus we could've had one of those project centers that people wanted last year with the #31 pick ( Whiteside, Pittman, Alabi, etc . . ). I personally wanted Varnado.

Sund and the ASG are so against paying even a little luxury tax, that they've bypassed 1st round talent that could've helped this team in the near future.

When you talk about developing an identity for a team, you need to have in mind exactly what you want your team should look like. Some people were wondering who would fall in the draft. It looks like that guy was Singleton. You just have to wonder if we didn't just give Washington an offensive AND defensive stud with that trade. How nice would it have been to bring this guy into a game to lock up people on defense?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMC71wpjZzQ

LOL .. that dude is talking about guarding positions 1 through 4? If he's that good of a defender that he can literally guard 4 spots, it's just another black mark for that idiot GM of ours.

Teague

Jordan

Varnado

Singleton

Four 1st round talents that could've been on this team the past 2 years, but only one is on the team? Horrible.

Edited by northcyde

It's sickening man.

And I know the Jordan C topic was beat to death on here. But this could end up being MUCH WORSE, if Singleton turns out to be an elite defender. God knows we could use on of those on this team. The money that Jordan, Singleton, and Varnado would've made this year combined, wouldn't equal what Kirk makes in 2012.

I hate rooting against people, but I'm almost hoping that Jordan and Singleton don't turn out to be good players. Because if they do, you'll NEVER hear the end of it . . NEVER.

• Premium Member

Don't forget we would still be stuck with Bibby and his 2012 contract. (He would not have been bought out if not traded to the Wizards).

Plus we would have been surely beaten by the Magic had Bibby remained the starter. Then Teage would have never had time to shine against Rose for 6 straight games in the 2nd Round.

The glass can be half full with the right perspective..........epsecially if those 6 games against Rose gives Teague the confidence to turn his career around and be our be our franchise PG.

This.

Don't forget we would still be stuck with Bibby and his 2012 contract. (He would not have been bought out if not traded to the Wizards).

Plus we would have been surely beaten by the Magic had Bibby remained the starter. Then Teage would have never had time to shine against Rose for 6 straight games in the 2nd Round.

The glass can be half full with the right perspective..........epsecially if those 6 games against Rose gives Teague the confidence to turn his career around and be our be our franchise PG.

Agreed! In addition to that who's to say that we would have finished with the same record and with the same spot in the draft or that we would have drafted the same guy? I'm a hell of a lot more satisfied that we have seen that Teague can actually play at this level than when I was where Jordan never played and we were stuck with Bibby starting for us.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Agreed! In addition to that who's to say that we would have finished with the same record and with the same spot in the draft or that we would have drafted the same guy? I'm a hell of a lot more satisfied that we have seen that Teague can actually play at this level than when I was where Jordan never played and we were stuck with Bibby starting for us.

Yep.

And... I think that it was important for us to show:

1. That we could beat Orlando.

2. That we could hang with the team with the best record in basketball.

3. That we could win a second round playoff game.

For the last two playoffs, we put a team out there but honestly, none of us had any thoughts that the team would put out there could win. This year, especially after we won game 1 against Chicago, I think a whole lot of fans start believing that we could win. It was a validation. I really take that validation than all of JC2's bench Minutes and All of Bibby's OLAY defensive maneuvers. Yep, just give me the validation. Otherwise, we would have been crushed by Orlando for the second straight year and this team would have been broke up.

• Like 1

I'm a big FSU fan so I know what Singleton is capable of. He is a legitimate lock-down defender so I would have LOVED seeing him play for Atlanta; however I have to agree with Coach. Everything is about perspective. It reminds me of a story...

A preacher was late for a date to preach at a church that was downtown in a busy city. After cirlcing the block many times trying to find a parking space, he parked in a no parking zone and left a note on the car saying he was the guest preacher at the church and was running late. He jotted the verse "Forgive me of my trespasses" When he came back to his car after a dynamic sermond preached by him, he found another note attached to a ticket that read. I've been a traffic officer on this block for 20 years. If I didn't write you a ticket, I could lose my job, pension, benefits, and everything I have. Following those words, he wrote the scripture "Lead us not into temptation". Who was right and who was wrong? It's all about persepective.

• Like 1

Singleton sounds like a bigger Bruce Bowen. He needs to be on a team with a good low post scorer to cover up his lack of offensive skills. I don't think he would fit in with our offensive scheme.

• Premium Member

Why does it have to be either/or? Why can't the hawks have it ALL for once? If LD would've just played Teague/Crawford when it was obvious Bibby was on his last leg the future would seem so much brighter. We could have won the series against Orl AND had some nice young players who could contribute next season.

• Like 1

Singleton sounds like a bigger Bruce Bowen. He needs to be on a team with a good low post scorer to cover up his lack of offensive skills. I don't think he would fit in with our offensive scheme.

Some feel he shoots just fine. He's actually not a total waste on offense. He doesn't have very good handles, but he can score the ball. FSU's offense was so bad last season, he would sometimes just take over games on both sides of the ball. As the entire FSU team did, he seemed to play up to the competition as well. I think that'll make him a scrappy NBA player. He may never be an All-Star, but I could see him making an all-defensive team a few times in his career. He's got a great motor and a solid body to match. He's not one of these undersized guys who make up for it with hustle. He has a big frame and good mechanics and decent footwork.

Why does it have to be either/or? Why can't the hawks have it ALL for once? If LD would've just played Teague/Crawford when it was obvious Bibby was on his last leg the future would seem so much brighter. We could have won the series against Orl AND had some nice young players who could contribute next season.

Maybe we would have beaten Orlando with Teague starting but maybe not ... the reality is that situation would have never occurred because Bibby was going to be the starter regardless of what Teague was capable of.

I think this is a bit too simplistic because that trade got us out from under Bibby's contract. In Washington, he happened to negotiate out of it, but he certainly would not have done that in Atlanta.

So the trade is actually $6.2 million in 2012 + Hinrich for JC2 and Singleton.

While it still isn't a great move with the emergence of Teague, he was a big question mark at the time of this deal. I believe Teague would not have performed to the level which he did unless he had no PG behind him (Hinrich's injury forced this in the CHI series). With 2012 being a major FA year and the unknowns in the CBA, $6.2mil is pretty valuable.

The Chris Singleton who tore his ACL?

I don't know about that, but I thought he broke his foot and then came back right before the NCAA tournament. As a matter of fact, he was playing limited minutes because of it.

We not only could have kept Jcraw but all those Euro projects pushed good players down to 18. We could have taken that kid Faried that is a robo rebounder which we desperately need. Jordan Hamilton and that 2 guard Brooks were still there as well. Hinrich plauyed well vs Orlando but with him its the same old song, he plays well for awile then he gets hurt and is either out or severly hampered for some time before he keeps back to good form, then gets hurt again.

Coach . . who gives a flip about Bibby's contract. You're paying him a little less than you'd be paying Hinrich this year. And who cares about being beaten by the Magic this year, if we STILL lost in Round 2 this year. Hinrich wasn't traded to simply win a 1st round series was he? We did that in the 2 years prior to him coming here. And if he stayed healthy, we still wouldn't have seen Teague perform in the Bulls series, because Drew would've opted to go with the guard rotation he had in the Orlando series. And we still would've lost to the Bulls, because of that.

Without the trade, Teague would've for sure gotten his chance next year if Bibby sucked. He may have gotten his chance earlier, who knows? What I'm talking about is making sure we have enough talent overall in the mix so that we can compete in the future. Like I said . . that's 3 or 4 first round talents that could've been coming off the bench for us in 2011 - 12. Instead, we're going to be scavenging the dumpsters again for big men and wings that nobody wants.

Here's a question. Do you think Kirk Hinrich will be on this team after 2012 . . especially if Teague supplants him as the starter? The ASG is counting on his expiring contract coming off the books, just like they apparently have done with Jamal this year.

With the amount of money that our "core" is making, it is essential that the Hawks obtain and keep talented but cheap players on the roster. Mid to late 1st round picks enable you to do that. The Spurs have made a living in doing just that. Look what they did last night. They trade a talented young guard in George Hill, for 2 first round picks.

With Hill going into the last year of his contract before he becomes a restricted free agent, the Spurs went ahead and traded him for a draft pick that they can pay a little more cheaper for a few years, instead of re-signing Hill at 5+ mill a year for the next 3 - 5 years. Instead of trading Tony Parker, they kept him in the mix and added 2 young forwards that they can pay dirt cheap for 2 - 3 years. That's why the Spurs NEVER stay out of the mix. Don't be surprised that they pull off their biggest move this year, with an aging Tim Duncan, and his whopping 21 million a year salary this season. Watch that team trade Duncan to somebody wanting cap relief, and watch the Spurs get back 2 or 3 quality players in return. Think Monta and Biedrins for Duncan.

But as for us, had we not made the trade and kept our draft picks . .

- Teague will only make 4 million in the next 2 years

- Jordan will only make 2.3 million in the next 2 years

- Singleton, under a new CBA, may be making less than 4 million the next 2 years

- Varnado as a 2nd round pick, wouldn't have made 2 million in the next 2 years.

That's 4 players that would've collectively made less than 7 million next year. If just 2 of those guys gave you any value, that's a plus for this team. And I think Bibby was due to make 6 million and would expire at the end of this season anyway.

Hard to say that.........all we know for sure is what actually happened.

I know D. Howard makes alot of people think twice before they drive into the lane. Who knows how aggressive Teague would have been with Howard patrolling the paint and who knows how many minutes he would have gotten with a healthy Bibby.

All I can say is that I'm happy with the way it worked out.

• Premium Member

Maybe we would have beaten Orlando with Teague starting but maybe not ... the reality is that situation would have never occurred because Bibby was going to be the starter regardless of what Teague was capable of.

And that's the problem. Why was Teague only allowed to play as the last resort during the Bulls series? He didn't just 'get it' all of a sudden. He played huge in some of the biggest games and at the most crucial time in the season. He wasn't injured, sick, or suspended during the regular season. He was rotting on the bench while Bibby struggled for the first half of the season and while Hinrich had a rough patch during the second half of the season. Teague was available during all that time and LD's answer to the PG problem was more Crawford at PG? I actually like LD and appreciate what he did as a Rookie coach this season, but this was one thing he got DEAD wrong and I feel it cost us.

Coach . . who gives a flip about Bibby's contract. You're paying him a little less than you'd be paying Hinrich this year.

My post was in the context of a reply to your previous post.

Yep there is a $2 mill difference. Bibby would have been due $6 mill and Hinrich would have been due $8 mill.

I was simply responding to you last most when you said we be paying Vanardo, Crawford, and pick #18 less then Hinrich had the trade never happened. While that is true we still would have had Bibby's $6 mill on the books for 2012. You simply faild to acknowledge that in your pevious post and I thought is should be pointed out along with a few other things.

Edited by coachx