• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hoopshype ranks the coaches...Popovich is tops but zld gets high marks

capstone21

• Admin

Grading the coaches

July 25, 2011 @ 5:34 pm by Charley Rosen ·

While the NBA season remains in a coma, the league's coaches are still alive and well. But how good are these civilians who occupy the command seats?

It says here that even the worst of them are better than the best college coaches for a variety of reasons. The real question is this: How do NBA coaches compare to each other?

Here's how:

Mark Jackson (Golden State): Has the playing experience, the blarney, and the arrogance to succeed. Grade: Incomplete.

Frank Vogel (Indiana): Did a terrific job in rousing the mediocre Pacers in the stretch run. But energizing a team for a whole season is a different task. Grade: Incomplete.

Mike D'Antoni (New York): A one-trick pony whom I call "Antoni" because his D is silent. What will happen when the sticky fingers of Melo make D'Antoni's run-amok offense spin its wheels? Not only is he the wrong coach for the wrong team, but Antoni's philosophy is designed to please fans but not to win championships. The most overrated coach in the NBA. Grade: D plus.

Erik Spoelstra (Miami): Showed minimal imagination, minimal flexibility, and minimal control of LeBron. But does work hard and is a nice guy. Grade: D plus.

Alvin Gentry (Phoenix): The perfect match of nondescript team with nondescript coach. Grade: Gentleman's C.

Flip Saunders (Washington): His multi-faceted offensive strategies are too complicated for today's dumbed-down players. Lacks the charisma to be head coach. Would be best utilized as an assistant in charge of Xs. Grade: C minus.

Stan Van Gundy (Orlando): Talks too much, lacks charisma, and fails to make adequate adjustments. Otherwise he's A-OK. Grade: C minus.

Mike Brown (LA Lakers): Was AWOL in too many timeout huddles in Cleveland, and also let LeBron walk all over him. No way he can handle Kobe. Grade: C minus.

Vinny Del Negro (LA Clippers): Needs to control his ego and his intensity, but has the requisite grit and smarts to be successful. Grade: C minus.

Kevin McHale (Houston): Is frequently intolerant of, and impatient with mistakes. Everyone's, that is, but his own. Was unable to instill a winning attitude in his last go-round with the woeful Timberwolves. Can he maintain his own interest if Houston has a slow start? Grade: C minus.

Tyrone Corbin (Utah): A protégé of Jerry Sloan's, but micro-managing the same old tired offense is n exercise in futility. Still, being in charge from the get-go just might encourage Corbin to be more of his own man. Grade: C.

Scott Brooks (Oklahoma City): Unimaginative offense and imaginary defense can only go so far. Not nearly far enough to match the talent at his disposal. Grade: C plus.

Avery Johnson (New Jersey): Has also toned down his act, but still managed to get his lackluster team to play all-out all of the time. But can he do the job under real pressure? Grade: C plus.

George Karl (Denver): Can be intimidated by star-quality players, so will operate more comfortably with Carmelo Anthony elsewhere. Preaches free-form offense, gimmick defense, and full-time effort. His teams tend to underachieve. Grade: C plus.

Dwane Casey (Toronto): A quality guy and underrated coach. Too bad the Raptors are clawless. Grade: B minus.

Paul Westphal (Sacramento): A good coach wasting his talents with a bad team. Grade: B minus.

Doug Collins (Philadelphia): Kept his ego and his mouth in check and did a great job with an inferior team. Has widened the scope of his game plan since his days in Detroit and Chicago. Grade: B minus.

Byron Scott (Cleveland): His overbearing attitude is a negative. His expertise and ability to keep his inept group of players competitive are positives. Grade: B minus.

Paul Silas (Charlotte): Dignity, honesty, experience and a calm demeanor are his main qualifications. Gets the most out of veteran players, but needs help in Xs and Os from his assistants. Grade: B minus.

Larry Drew (Atlanta): Did a good job coaching a bunch of mostly uncoachable players. If/when the roster is purged of knuckleheads, it remains to be seen if he can take his abilities and his team to the next level. Grade: B minus.

Scott Skiles (Milwaukee): Has toned down his over-the-top intensity and pushed his guys into overachieving. Grade: B.

Lionel Hollins (Memphis): Maximized the abilities of his players, most of whom had severe limitations. Could eventually join the ranks of the A-rated coaches. Grade: B.

Monty Williams (New Orleans): Except for the marvelous Chris Paul, and with David West on the shelf, the Hornets were a mediocre team. But Williams quietly led them into the playoffs. Grade: B.

Lawrence Frank (Detroit): Nobody works harder or is better prepared. Despite his mild exterior, can be a martinet behind closed doors. Grade: B.

Tom Thibodeau (Chicago): Defensive mastermind, but lack of dependable scorers hamstrings his total game plan. Give him time and he'll be another Ace. Grade: B plus.

Doc Rivers (Boston): Took his aging team as far as it could have gone. What happens now that Father Time has caught Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen from behind? This season will be the truest test of Doc's chops. Grade: B plus.

Nate McMillan (Portland): Always gets the most out of the least. Grade: A

Rick Carlisle (Dallas): His toughness is contagious, his preparation is immaculate and he's not afraid to take chances. Grade: A.

Gregg Popovich (San Antonio): With Phil Jackson out of the picture, Pop is the best in the business. Demands discipline, hustle, and unselfishness, and always speaks his mind. Grade: A plus.

Unknown (Minnesota): The yet-to-be-named sacrificial victim will be tasked with the thankless job of making Ricky Rubio a decent NBA point guard. Grade: Doomed to the read flag.

Read more: http://blogs.hoopshy.../#ixzz1TB4whtYJ

Edited by capstone21

Exactly. Who are the knuckleheads?

People around the league ( media wise ) must really love LD. All he did was continue what Woody did here, with the exception of installing a new offense ( that actually made us a little more inefficient offensively ).

LD deserves a C at the highest. This team was in a straight freefall from early Feb. to the start of the playoffs. He was even questioning if his players could "turn it on". Luckily for him, they did. And the PG who barely played stepped up big time , even though had Hinrich been healthy, coach would've had him buried on the bench.

There's no way you can put Drew over a guy like Scott Brooks.

None.

• Premium Member

Why should I care what... what's his name... Charley Rosen?... okay... why should I care what he thinks?

I'll take Diesel or Northcyde or capstone or whoever. This guy's an unknown just filling space and making a deadline.

• Moderators

Actually,

They credit LD with the ballziest move of playing a big lineup with a guy who only gets you 2/1 in 20 minutes. AND having that ballzy move work against a team that beat you by an average of 25 pts last year. You can try to talk down LD but the way our players played against both Orlando and the Bulls was something that Woody could have never got. We looked like we belonged in the top 8. We looked poised, experienced and like a team that can contend for the title. Even to the fact that we lost our starting PG and pulled out a little used player who had the wherewithal to go toe to toe with the MVP of the league and didn't look bad doing it. That my friend is coaching. If we had a better reg season, LD would have gotten an A if not top honors. Because Nate gets an A? Really? Really??? What did his team do in the playoffs?

I agree totally. And in what why did the Bucks overachieve? I like Skiles but they were a total non-factor this year.

We looked like total crap down the stretch and that cost us...nothing. We didn't fall out of our playoff spot, we played about as well as we could of in the playoffs.

• Premium Member

OK, I have to go in again in Rosen.

This guy is a straight up idiot. He has already graded Mike Brown with the Lakers? Really?

He gives Nate an A and give Scotty Brooks a C? Really?

This dude has no freakin Clue.

Ok, did my homework... here goes.. Charley Rosen on Hawks/Magic 1st round:

(4) ORLANDO vs. (5) ATLANTA

Why the Magic should win: Dwight Howard has an unbeatable size and strength advantage over any and all of Atlanta’s bigs. Jameer Nelson has his flaws, but leadership isn’t among them. Hedo Turkoglu has rediscovered his comfort zone. Ryan Anderson’s all-around hustle and 3-point bombs are a significant plus off the bench. Jason Richardson has found the fountain of youth in Orlando. Brandon Bass has taken full advantage of his increased daylight by climbing the glass and popping his mid-range jumpers. J.J. Redick has evolved into a crafty, bull’s-eye shooting sub. And whatever Gilbert Arenas brings to the mix in any given game always makes a difference.

In sum, the Magic’s board power and usually alert defense are abetted by Stan Van Gundy having eight double-figure scorers at his disposal.

How the Hawks could win: On the basis of sheer talent, Atlanta can beat any team in the NBA at any time. Too bad their roster is stocked with too many wildly immature players. In any event, the Hawks can turn the Magic into rabbits if Josh Smith and Jamal Crawford can be dosed with grown-up pills; if Joe Johnson can succeed on the majority of his one-on-one forays; if Al Horford can out-quick Howard and also knock down his jumpers; if Marvin Williams isn’t paralyzed by stage fright; and if his scatterbrained teammates can yield to the leadership of the slow but tough-enough Kirk Hinrich.

Prediction: Orlando can be had but not by the iffy Hawks. The Magic make Atlanta vanish in six games.

Then I found this prediction about Dallas/PTL first round

But mainly because coach Rick Carlisle is the toughest individual in the Dallas organization, and his players are indeed soft.

Prediction: On the basis of their huge edge in heart, Portland wins in seven games.

Then there's this:

• Premium Member

hmm....Did the Hawks get out of the second round?

I'd imagine Woody is somewhere thinking:

WTH is this garbage! Did these people not see what I did with that scrapheap of a team? Why is this clown getting credit for doing nothing, while I can't land a gig with sorry *ss Golden State. I mean...this fool did not make it pass the second round, yet people act as if he won a title. Hell I'm the one walking around with championship jewelry! I'm the one who was stuck playing Mike Bibby! I'm the one who got stuck with an injured Joe Johnson in the playoffs!

Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Charley Rosen used to be one of the best basketball writers out there. He's been losing it the past couple seasons, but I think this article was pretty spot-on. Mike Brown's grade seemed to me to be as much a prediction as an actual grade. And the prediction frankly seems generous to me. The only difference between Woody and Mike Brown is that Woody had JJ and Brown had LeBron. Neither knew how to make adjustments, which inevitably doomed their teams to failure when they ran up against teams that could disrupt their simplistic offensive schemes.

And northcyde - I guess I commend you for sticking to your guns despite the fact that LD showed more coaching acumen in 3 weeks this past April/May than Woody did in 6 years. Woody almost dropped a first round series to a Milwaukee team that was missing its two best players and starting Kurt Thomas at center and then saw his team get blown away by Orlando in the most lopsided series in the history of professional basketball. LD took the same group, beat Orlando with a game to spare, and took the team with the league's best record to 6 games.

Scratch that, I can't commend you for sticking to your guns. Woody was the most miserable epic failure of a head coach I've seen in any sport. LD actually had people talking about the Hawks as ECF contenders for a couple weeks. I'm not ready to crown LD as a "great" coach, but he's already shown himself to be 300x the coach that Woody was.

Edited by niremetal

hmm....Did the Hawks get out of the second round?

I'd imagine Woody is somewhere thinking:

And to that I would add Woody saying "After all, I was coaching the same bunch of uncoachable knuckleheads as LD. In fact, I'm glad someone else noticed that they were a bunch of uncoachable knuckeleheads. finally."

Mark Jackson (Golden State): Has the playing experience, the blarney, and the arrogance to succeed. Grade: Incomplete.

I knew we shoulda hired jackson! i was totally saying that what this team needs more than anything is BLARNEY! damn. you just wait, golden state is gonna blow up now -- hand down, man down.

this article obviously shows that charley clearly understands two things above all others -- nba coaches and leprechauns.

Edited by bird_dirt

• Premium Member

So, when do we get to grade Charley Rosen's literary works?

~lw3

The House of Moses All-Stars: A+

Edited by niremetal

Who are the knuckleheads he refers to? I can count maybe 1, maybe 2 of those type of players on our team...

My knucklehead ratings:

1. Josh Smith: the writer is DEFINITELY talking about Smoove as a knucklehead.

2. Marvin: he sulked on the bench ANC basically called out Drew. His game has disappeared.

3. Zaza: complains about minutes and always bumps head with coaches.

4. JJ? He is a Negative Ned. Still a ball hog. He seemed to fight the offense.

5. Crawford: he got his crying started before the season began, and he also whined about Drew's offense.

Yup, this team has more than it's fair share of knuckleheads.

• Moderators

Charley Rosen used to be one of the best basketball writers out there. He's been losing it the past couple seasons, but I think this article was pretty spot-on. Mike Brown's grade seemed to me to be as much a prediction as an actual grade. And the prediction frankly seems generous to me. The only difference between Woody and Mike Brown is that Woody had JJ and Brown had LeBron. Neither knew how to make adjustments, which inevitably doomed their teams to failure when they ran up against teams that could disrupt their simplistic offensive schemes.

And northcyde - I guess I commend you for sticking to your guns despite the fact that LD showed more coaching acumen in 3 weeks this past April/May than Woody did in 6 years. Woody almost dropped a first round series to a Milwaukee team that was missing its two best players and starting Kurt Thomas at center and then saw his team get blown away by Orlando in the most lopsided series in the history of professional basketball. LD took the same group, beat Orlando with a game to spare, and took the team with the league's best record to 6 games.

Scratch that, I can't commend you for sticking to your guns. Woody was the most miserable epic failure of a head coach I've seen in any sport. LD actually had people talking about the Hawks as ECF contenders for a couple weeks. I'm not ready to crown LD as a "great" coach, but he's already shown himself to be 300x the coach that Woody was.

Yet another year goes by with no team wanting Woody - not even the Pistons - and his fans still think he was doing great things for this team. Woody can't even interview well - he was saying that he wanted the Pistons job at the same time he was interviewing in Minny. I bet that helped his chances.

Woody coached one season where the team met or exceeded its potential in the regular season and that same squad put up a shameful effort against a wildly less talented Bucks team and then laid the biggest egg in NBA history in the sweep by the Magic (#2 seed v. #3 seed).

People around the league ( media wise ) must really love LD. All he did was continue what Woody did here, with the exception of installing a new offense ( that actually made us a little more inefficient offensively ).

LD scrapped a fundamentally flawed offense and a fundamentally flawed defense. Kudos for not continuing two systems doomed to failure but the biggest change was dumping the auto-switch defense Woody loved.

I do agree that LD hasn't proven much but at least he schemed properly for playoff success. A C seems like a fair grade. Woody gets a D because the team played hard most of the time despite knowing they were doomed to watching teams cherry pick who they were going to match up with Bibby using the autoswitch's autoselect option that lets you get PG v. C matchups as easily as PP v. Bibby.

OFFENSIVE RATING

2010: 111.9 ( 2nd in the league )

2011: 106.1 ( 20th in the league )

DEFENSIVE RATING

2010: 106.7 ( 13th in the league )

2011: 107.0 ( 13th in the league )

So the numbers are lying that much to say that Woody didn't have this team running a better offensive AND defensive system, than LD did? The offense much better suited the abilities of our players last year, and the defense didn't change much at all, even though LD had a defensive upgrade at PG for the last third of the season.

So two 2nd round playoff wins . . . wins that occurred because JJ finally stepped up to play like an all-star player in the 2nd round . . . negates all of the bad that happened during the season? Sorry guys . . not buying it.

The so-called horrible offense we had here last year saw JJ make 3rd team All-NBA . . Jamal win the 6th man of the year . . Horford become an All-Star ( although he had a better year this year ) . . and Smith shoot a CAREER HIGH 50.5% FG with only 7 three point attempts. But this year, everyone regresses . . . EVERYONE . . with the exception of Horford?

There's no way you can give a coach who saw his team regress from the previous season and post their first sub .500 months in 3 YEARS, a B- . . . but see a coach who won 53 games ( 5th best all time in franchise history ) a D. Honestly, one of the things that killed us in that Orlando series in 2010, is that JJ and Jamal flat out missed wide open jumpshots, and couldn't make the shots they normally make. In 2011, the reverse happened. On the flip side, the Orlando shooters, while challenged better on the outside by our guys, flat out missed open jumpers themselves.

And I don't know what great adjustment LD made in the Chicago series, other than lucking up having Teague finally play to his potential.

I don't want to drag Drew through the mud, but he's not the better coach. The one thing Orlando complained about all throughout the 2011 series, is that they couldn't handle our guards in isolation. It wasn't some elaborate offense we were running. Drew simply gave the ball to his main scorers, and they delivered. Those same scorers didn't deliver in 2010.

Edited by northcyde

• Moderators

You give Woody Kirk Hinrich for the last third of the year, and I guarantee that this team doesn't finish 8 - 14 in their last 22 games.

Since no one wants to hire Woody, I guess we'll never know.

• Premium Member

No one wants to hire him? Several teams have looked Woody's way. Not Woody's fault NBA GM's are idiots. Good lord, these are the same people who made Joe Johnson, Brandon Roy, and Gilbert Arenas gazillionaires.

I think Tech would have been a great place for Woody. I guarantee he would have been a huge upgrade of Hewitt.

Edited by NineOhTheRino