• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Which player is more valueable Josh Smith or Al Horford

coachx

Al in almost every facet of the game

Except heart. Except passing, Except Heart. Except scoring at the rim. Except Heart. Except post scoring. Except ...heart.

Except heart. Except passing, Except Heart. Except scoring at the rim. Except Heart. Except post scoring. Except ...heart.

• Premium Member

Believe it or not, it's a loaded question.

Al is valuable from the standpt that we have no other big that can play as well as him.

However, Josh's value is that his play can make or break us.

Josh has the ability to shoot us out of games.

Josh has the ability to save wins for us.

Al has never been the guy to elevate his level of play. He plays according to his competition.

Josh on the other hand can get up for a game.

He can also play us out of a game with bad decisions.

So who do you say is more valuable.

The guy who is pretty consistent but won't play outside of his comfort zone and sometimes disappear.

or

The guy who is just not mature but when he does put it all together he's a special player?

Hard call.

• Like 1

Al, he is less of a net negative to the team, and he is more consistent. Both of which make him the better player. Also, Horf can play center in the league, which is far more valuable than a guy who is a SF/PF tweener. However, I will say that if Josh stays in the post and plays more power forward, that he is more valuable.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Teague will be the Hawks 3rd or 4th best player next year.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Teague will be the Hawks 3rd or 4th best player next year.

He was the Hawks 1st or 2nd best player in the Bulls series.

In all honesty Jeff Teague is the only thing giving me any hope for the Hawks improving next season.

• Like 2

After the playoff performance Al had...I'm going to have to say Josh. Josh is a knuckle head but he doesn't disappear in the playoffs and plays with more intensity than anyone on the court. Him and Teague should quickly become a problem next year on the fast break. I also truly believe this is his breakout year, and this is coming from someone who really doesn't like Josh Smith.

• Like 1

Josh is more valuable, Al is more efficient but Josh is more valuable. He causes more problems defensively, he's a better passer, better finisher...I love em both but Josh is more valuable in my opinion

• Like 1

Did you just say Josh has more heart than Al? Wow, see I think it's the exact opposite. Josh has more natural talent than Al but Al does more with what he has. The reason Al does more with what he has is because he has more heart.

Noah, Boozer, Thomas, Asik and Taj Gibson took turns punking Al. Al grew more and more timid as the series went. He Faded to the 15 foot area. He shrunk at the absolutely wrong time.

Slight edge goes to Al . . simply because he's the only legit guy who we have that can play the center position. When Smith is playing at a high level, there is no one on the team more valuable than Smith . . including JJ. But Smith's "feast or famine" type of play is what makes people uneasy about Smith.

Al's consistently ( normally ) makes him the more important player. The playoff performance this year ( especially offensively as a PF ) is definitely one to be concerned about in regards to Al.

Slight edge goes to Al . . simply because he's the only legit guy who we have that can play the center position. When Smith is playing at a high level, there is no one on the team more valuable than Smith . . including JJ. But Smith's "feast or famine" type of play is what makes people uneasy about Smith.

Al's consistently ( normally ) makes him the more important player. The playoff performance this year ( especially offensively as a PF ) is definitely one to be concerned about in regards to Al.

Really? The playoffs are what matters. The shrink factor is underated.

Noah, Boozer, Thomas, Asik and Taj Gibson took turns punking Al. Al grew more and more timid as the series went. He Faded to the 15 foot area. He shrunk at the absolutely wrong time.

Then maybe you should rephrase what you said to Smoove having the better series. On a nightly basis, throughout their careers, Al has shown more heart. In fact, that is Smooves main problem. He gives no consistent effort. Effort=Heart. Al had a rough series but has shown more heart (effort) in his little pinky than Smoove has in his whole inflated head.

I'm almost judging these players strictly on the playoffs since we are now in the Braves mode of the 90's. Josh was inconsistent vs. the Bulls and Magic but very productive.

Horford putting up 11 and 9.5 on 42.5% shooting is not boss to me. Considering being matched up against Bass and Noah who he should have dominated. Josh easily puts up those numbers at the 4 and Al puts up slightly better numbers than that at the 5. So basically the 3 spot is where you compliment these two. Maybe a Bargnani where he plays 4 on D and the 3 on 0.

• Premium Member

The guy who is pretty consistent but won't play outside of his comfort zone and sometimes disappear.

or

The guy who is just not mature but when he does put it all together he's a special player?

Hard call.

This is hitting the nail on the head. Al is consistent. But is his problem that he has a comfort zone or that he has reached his ceiling? If Al could have those "amazing" games night in and night out, he'd be epic. If he would use his strength to his advantage with that and go inside more he'd be legendary. He would be more valuable.

As for Josh..... I don't know if the Men in Black came in and just used the "flashy thingie" on everyone or what. But does ANYBODY remember how Josh used to control the paint? Am I the only one that remembers a guy that teams would actually prepare for. He was Mutombo-esque in that you'd start seeing wild shots anytime he was patrolling the lane and ANY time a weak-*ss shot went up, you KNOW it was going back the other way. THAT Josh Smith is worth a 100 Al Horford's even on his best day.

It's funny to say that Al has more heart. I think Josh emotions show who has more heart. The celebrating, pouting, the anger, etc.

Challenging teams instead of fading. Josh got face to face, elbow to elbow in the last playoffs. If you are not impressed by his attack playoff zone, you just hating. Al did not engage.

• Moderators

If we are talking league-wide value, I think it is Al Horford. Al would be an asset to any team in the league. His ability to play minutes at center is a big plus over the ability to play SF/PF. He shoots better than just about any big man in the league on his jumper which would let teams create floor spacing on the interior and would make for a killer pick and roll partner. His downside is fading into mediocrity rather than shooting his own team in the foot. If Josh decides to play to his strengths or Horford fades in the future like he faded this season down the stretch that could change. For now, Al is the more valued player around the league based on where their games are today.

Edited by AHF