• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Josh Smith nails 6 threes at summer league

Deeman

I see what he's been spending the summer doing. His motion is different, he doesn't have the same windup and release as before. Less of a setshot also....dare I say..... it actually looks like a decent motion.

his motion is still similar. He's bringing the ball from the same spot. It's only slightly different but I think he's jumping at a different point in his release.

his motion is still similar. He's bringing the ball from the same spot. It's only slightly different but I think he's jumping at a different point in his release.

I think the difference is that 1) it's much quicker and 2) he's keeping the ball in front rather than his usual motion where the ball is above his head or beside his ear. I do agree after multiple viewings that he didn't completely retool his motion but he's eliminated some of the hitches and snags.

• Premium Member

Say what you will about Josh but at least he puts in work in the off season to improve his game. I would like to see him work on his post moves and ball handling more but maybe he prefers to fix one flaw at a time.

• Like 2

I think the difference is that 1) it's much quicker and 2) he's keeping the ball in front rather than his usual motion where the ball is above his head or beside his ear. I do agree after multiple viewings that he didn't completely retool his motion but he's eliminated some of the hitches and snags.

Exactly what I was thinking. Looks a lot quicker and smoother and not as much forced which I think is helpful. Finally kind of living up to the name Smoove!

• Premium Member

Exactly what I was thinking. Looks a lot quicker and smoother and not as much forced which I think is helpful. Finally kind of living up to the name Smoove!

It looks like a shot he can make consistently instead of a shot he shouldn't take under any circumstances. He looked like a confident shooter and ball handler back in high school but seemed to forget how to do either of those things once he got to the NBA. Sometimes it looks like he's trying to 'convince' everyone he can still handle and shoot it. That's fine becuase his versaility is a weapon, but he needs to do a better job of picking his spots and not over handling the ball on the break or taking bad shots.

• Moderators

Ugh. I don't like watching Josh pretend he is Ray Allen. I did enjoy watching the blocks and certainly hope that is he is going to keep playing on the perimeter that he continues to improve his jumper but I'd rather see him back inside.

Smith has had a few games in which the stroke was really going from the outside and he looked really comfortable shooting the ball from about 20 feet out. Unfortunately, those games came few and far between.

Like AHF, I would've loved if he were showing off an array of post moves. I mean, unless we're going to start asking JJ and Marvin to post up a lot more on the inside, either Josh or Al are going to have to start scoring a lot more in the paint.

Why are all of our guys ( JJ, Josh, and Al ) allergic to playing more near the rim?

( sigh ) . . it is what it is though. I refuse to call Josh Smith "Smoove" anymore. I don't want him to be "Smoove" . . I want him to be "Smash". Embarrass and strike fear in your opponent by driving into the lane and dunking on them, not out-finesse them by shooting long jumpers in their face. He greatly diminishes his chance to become an All-Star in this league by continuing to try to be a finesse player.

• Like 1