• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Talks fail - Again - More games canceled.

Gray Mule

crazy.gif

Well, they still aren't playing NBA basketball this season. More games were canceled

today and now there can't be a full season. Can't agree on how to split all their $$$.

No paycheck for any NBA player on November 15. Poor guys. Do you suppose that

they will qualify for welfare? Not worried too much about them but how about their

poor, hungry wives and children?

Before someone offers to do a benefit for them to ease their obvious hurting, they

each will recieve a minimum of $100,000.00 from an escrow account which is monies

from last seson's revenue sharing account.

Pretty nice unemployment payment, isn't it.

diablo.gif

Wow...Owners playing SERIOUS hardball.

Now ESPN says that the owners will want to recoup the losses from the players from the loss of income from the loss of the first month of the season in their next offer - so it will be less?

Am I missing something here? How can the owners want to recoup lost income while they are claiming to be losing money?

What a mess.

Edited by DJlaysitup

The players are making a huge mistake here. The first rule of negotiations is to never walk away from guaranteed money. 50% of 1230 games at 18,000 tickets per game at an average of $150 a ticket is a whole lot of walking away. The just turned down $1.7 billion dollars in gate receipts alone.

• Moderators

Wow...Owners playing SERIOUS hardball.

Now ESPN says that the owners will want to recoup the losses from the players from the loss of income from the loss of the first month of the season in their next offer - so it will be less?

Am I missing something here? How can the owners want to recoup lost income while they are claiming to be losing money?

What a mess.

Both sides have been making this threat for a long time. The idea is that you put your best offer on the table early and if the other side doesn't take it then it gets worse because the passage of time represents lost opportunity that would have been there had the other side accepted earlier. To do that, you have to have the guts to actually go through with it for the long-haul, though.

That is the exact scenario that happened with the NHL. The owners made a better offer that was rejected by the players before talks really broke off than the one the players ended up signing.

• Moderators

The thing is (IMO)...the NBA is on thin ice to begin with. As an NBA-Hawks fan I can baely get my co-workers to care when we go on a winning streak.

No disagreement on my end. There is a big risk of losing some positive momentum from last season. A big risk for both the players and the owners. I get the owner's view that there is a bigger risk if they continue to bleed money (reportedly -300M per year over the last CBA) and on the player's end that they are doing nothing but conceding on this contract and want to draw the line somewhere. One or both parties are going to eventually move, though, and they would be better recognizing that sooner than later.

Michael Jordan, once the NBA's greatest player but now just another money-losing owner of a small-market team, is adamant about not giving any more concessions to players in their ongoing labor dispute, according to The New York Times.

Franchise success or failure often can be traced to the top. We rank the five best and five worst NBA owners.

Jordan, the Charlotte Bobcats owner, has emerged as a leader of a faction of 10 to 14 hard-line owners who are determined to cap the players' share of basketball-related income at 50 percent, the Times reported Friday.

All 29 owners are set to meet Saturday morning in New York City before the NBA and the players union return to the negotiating table in the afternoon.

About 10 to 14 owners, led by Jordan, are expected to reiterate their stance to NBA commissioner David Stern, which might make it more difficult to negotiate an end to the lockout