• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Allen Iverson as the 6th man?

Joker

• Premium Member

If his body and his MIND is right, why not? The Hawks need bodies right now and he's already been working out with Hawks players in Atlanta during the lockout. If I was the GM, I'd at least talk to some of the guys who worked out with what they honestly think about AI.

• Moderators

Love AI, as always, but there's no doubt, in his mind, he's nobody's "sixth man." Not even "second man." Having Teague looking over his shoulder to find AI's fans screaming for the hook won't work well for chemistry on this team. And we have a dribble-out-the-shot-clock guy already. I do hope he finds a spot (still moderately-conditioned given his age and injury history), just not on this roster. He's burned enough bridges on two continents now that it literally has to be the perfect low-risk set-up.

~lw3

6th man? NO.

As the 3rd PG . . definitely.

I have no problem putting AI out on the court at the beginning of the 2nd quarter to spell Teague and play him in the backcourt with Hinrich. Give him 5 - 7 minutes and see if he can make something happen. If he plays well, give him minutes again in the 4th. If not, just keep him on the bench.

One thing about it though, Allen Iverson in a Hawks uniform is a box office draw . . even in a limited role. We could do far worse than give him the league minimum, and play him in an Eddie House like role. There will be a few games in which AI has it going, and that's when you extend his minutes. As long as he KNOWS that he has no chance in displacing Teague ( unless Teague dramatically regresses ), then I'm cool with Iverson on the Hawks.

And you're right. This team may miss Jamal's scoring punch at times, especially if Teague isn't the same guy that we saw in the Chicago series. Hopefully, a guy like Iverson would finally accept his role as a veteran mentor, and teach Teague how to become an effective scorer.

Possible rotation minutes

PG - Teague ( 28 ) - Hinrich ( 10 ) - Iverson ( 10 )

G - Johnson ( 22 ) - Hinrich ( 16 ) - Damien ( 10 )

F - Marvin ( 30 ) - Johnson ( 14 ) - Smith ( 4 )

PF - Smith ( 32 ) - Horford ( 16 )

C - Horford ( 20 ) - Zaza ( 20 ) - free agent C ( 8 )

Johnson ( 36 )

Smith ( 36 )

Horford ( 36 )

Marvin ( 30 )

Teague ( 28 )

Hinrich ( 26 )

Zaza ( 20 )

Damien ( 10 )

Iverson ( 10 )

free agent C ( 8 )

Now if Hinrich goes down . . . then we'd have no choice. Teague's minutes would have to increase, as well as Iverson's

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 1

Haha, I saw that game live in Atlanta. AI didn't look to shabby. He went off in the 4th quarter and took over the game. In my opinion, he's good enough to play on our roster. It seems like he's out there to prove everyone wrong. But then again, like someone said, I don't know how this would workout with the chemistry of this team.

He would bring fans to the game, that's for sure.

• Premium Member

Haha, I saw that game live in Atlanta. AI didn't look to shabby. He went off in the 4th quarter and took over the game. In my opinion, he's good enough to play on our roster. It seems like he's out there to prove everyone wrong. But then again, like someone said, I don't know how this would workout with the chemistry of this team.

He would bring fans to the game, that's for sure.

That's why it is important to talk this over with the players who played with him first. It's easy to say it won't work from a distance based on AI's past, but I'd put more stock in the opinions with the guys that would have to be on the court with him. If Jamal walks, he'd essentially be his replacement which was basically a gunner off the bench. I think he can fill that role just fine IF his body and mind is right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I am of the same mind as capstone. This guy has been a cancer repeatedly since he left Denver and left his role at or near the center of the team's offense. I don't trust that he will suddenly turn that attitude into a team-first, bench role.

Sometimes I say "might not be too bad" then other times I'm like "hell no"

If it's a one year, vet min deal and his mind (more so than his body) is in the right place to be the scorer off the bench then maybe.

• Moderators

With AI, we may need a different kind of coach. (enter Larry Brown).

Larry Brown would only put up with AI when he was the MVP AI. He wouldn't take that from his 8-10th best player on the roster.