• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

JSMoove is still unhappy

Wurider05

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2011/12/02/atlanta-hawks-afternoon-notes/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

Atlanta Hawks: Afternoon notes

3:33 pm December 2, 2011, by Michael Cunningham

Notes contemplated while waiting in an empty gym . . .

• Stopped by Philips Arena today. No players showed up during the couple hours I was there and none were expected. Again, I wouldn’t read too much into it, especially since guys have access to the facilities at any time and don’t need to work out at Philips.
  • It turned out Joe and Al were at Philips yesterday to get their physicals but didn’t take the court.
  • As you hear the Hawks connected to one free agent or another keep in mind that, like a lot of teams, they can’t be sure of their plans until the CBA is ratified and they know the rules. So take all these rumors with a grain of salt.
  • Also, I don’t think the Hawks have decided on their financial plan yet. Hawks officials aren’t commenting because they still are concerned about league fines but I’m hearing they haven’t yet ruled out spending into the luxury tax.
  • I wouldn’t look for the Hawks to use the amnesty this year. In fact, I don’t think many teams will use it now unless they are looking for major relief from the luxury tax or can gain cap room (and some teams in the latter category can’t use it because they would drop below the new minimum team salary). The Hawks don’t qualify on either count. They can save it for J.J.’s deal down the line.
  • It’s true Josh still is unhappy, and the reasons go beyond internal and external criticism of his play and extend into concerns about team chemistry. It seems as if he simply could use a change of scenery. That doesn’t mean it’s going to happen.
  • From what I can tell, none of Atlanta’s players have been declared untouchable for trades. So, at the very least, this would represent a shift in thinking by the Hawks about their proverbial “core” group. But if they do decide to pay the tax to add some significant pieces then it would seem to decrease the urgency of seeking a trade.
  • The Hawks will play two exhibition games against the Bobcats, Dec. 19 at Charlotte and Dec. 22 at Philips. The Hawks will hold a free public scrimmage Dec. 16 at 7 :30 p.m. at Philips. If you see me there, come down and holla.

Michael Cunningham, Hawks beat

he may indeed be on his way out. He already has an attitude problem when he's happy could u imagine him if he is unhappy. I just found out the other day that a co-worker in our finance department worked for the Hawks for 6 years and he knows the guys and management really well. He pretty much confirmed what we all have suspected and that their is dissension in the locker room and it all centers around Josh Smith. He stated that JJ is suppose to be the leader, Josh wants to be the leader, and Al is ready to be the leader. Its amazing how much of what he told me we have already speculated on this board. The only thing that surprised me was the fact the he told me that Nique was one of the main ones undermining the coach and that he stays in Josh's ear telling him to play his game (shoot jumpers). other tidbits he shared

• Billy Knight was a complete a**hole that no one liked
  • Drew created some of the dissension and pretty much stabbed Woody in the back
  • Woody was the ultimate control freak and was stubborn as hell (we know this)
  • internally its either Josh or JJ with Josh being the obvious one to go. Josh's camp is pumping him up.

we didn't talk long because i had to go but he was like he didn't know that there were any other hawks fan around. I am not sure what position he had with the organization but you can bet we are going to talk some more. i told him about the Squawk. Its crazy but what we know about them appears to be accurate.

Josh been feeling like this for awhile. He's a professional. When the time comes, he will get his option.

Give Charles Barkley credit.

2 years ago, he flat out said that the Hawks need to make a decision between JJ and Josh, because he felt that those two were battling for control of the team.

The problem with Josh Smith is that he thinks ( or his people think ) that he is WAAAAAAAAAY better of a player than what he really is. Josh is a very good player, just not a superstar player. The fact that he doesn't play to his strengths as a player, is a testament to how good he "thinks" he is.

He had one of his most efficient seasons back in 2010, when Woody had FINALLY gotten the 3 point shot out of his system. As soon as Woody left, Drew let him jack up jumpers again. And if Nique is a culprit in this, then maybe Nique needs to stop giving advice to Smith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvM-FFI71vI

I was kind of upset when Barkley did this. But his overall point was correct. And the sad thing is that TNT had to have had that helmet made up specifically for Josh. That's why I didn't like what Barkley and the TNT people did.

It didn't dawn on me by what chemistry problems are Josh Smith talking about? Crawford is gone. Marv doesn't shoot enough. So by default he has to have a problem with JJ or Horf. What I don't understand is why because as previously discussed Josh is going to get his shots.Maybe other players are complaining about Josh. I will say this stat wise Horf,JJ, and Smoove aren't that far apart but salary wise they are.

It didn't dawn on me by what chemistry problems are Josh Smith talking about? Crawford is gone. Marv doesn't shoot enough. So by default he has to have a problem with JJ or Horf. What I don't understand is why because as previously discussed Josh is going to get his shots.Maybe other players are complaining about Josh. I will say this stat wise Horf,JJ, and Smoove aren't that far apart but salary wise they are.

The problem is that Josh wants to shoot jumpers like JJ and Horford, and not get called out for it. He probably sees an 8 - 20 FG performance by JJ, with him missing a lot of jumpers, as a reason why the crowd should yell "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO" to JJ, instead of yelling "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" everytime he takes a 20 foot jumper.

Well Mr. Smith, the reason for that is because you have perennially been one of the worst jumpshooting players in the league. And that is documented, not something that is made up. And JJ is a guard.

(( talking like Katt Williams in the movie "Friday After Next" )) . . "You are a power forward . . . you are not a small foward anymore Josh"

But don't tell that to our coach or to Josh. He's in full SF mode now. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the butt.

Edited by northcyde

Why do you act like you know what's going on? I don't know and neither do you. My opinion is that if there's any lack of chemistry (IF), then I didn't see this stuff going around until Al Horford came to Atlanta. Al had the mentality coming out of college; being cocky since he won 2 championships, and then comes into the NBA with that same mentality, which is a big NO NO. Al thought he would playing PF, which he's not. His mentality going along with him not playing his position is already off to a bad start. Hearing Al's dad make side comments to the media is not going to work either.

Anyways, that's just my opinion. Plus, I thought Joe & Josh were pretty good friends. They've played in a lot of charity games over the off season, and were supposed to play another one in Atlanta, but Josh wasn't there.

Edited by AHawks89

@mike: “MC- When you say “Its true, Josh is still unhappy”, what is the source of this? He told you this? Can you expand on why he is unhappy?”

well, he chafed at the criticism of his shot selection from L.D. and media more than once last season. he hasn’t said anything about wanting out (and never would) but i’m basing it on conversations with others. it’s solid info. i think the theme of his unhappiness is related to his belief that his teammates don’t get criticized nearly as much as he does when they play poorly.

What MC responded to someone who posted. People are blowing this whole "unhappy to be in Atlanta" out of proportion.

Edited by AHawks89

It doesn't take a genius to realize Josh is a malcontent. Maybe MC was just re-stating the obvious to get people talking. Either way, Josh has to be on his last leg with this organization. Either he matures into a team player or he's traded for the best deal Sund can work out at the time.

Why do you act like you know what's going on? I don't know and neither do you. My opinion is that if there's any lack of chemistry (IF), then I didn't see this stuff going around until Al Horford came to Atlanta. Al had the mentality coming out of college; being cocky since he won 2 championships, and then comes into the NBA with that same mentality, which is a big NO NO. Al thought he would playing PF, which he's not. His mentality going along with him not playing his position is already off to a bad start. Hearing Al's dad make side comments to the media is not going to work either.

Anyways, that's just my opinion. Plus, I thought Joe & Josh were pretty good friends. They've played in a lot of charity games over the off season, and were supposed to play another one in Atlanta, but Josh wasn't there.

There is clearly a lack of chemistry with this team. Generally speaking is when bad fits=lack of execution=bad chemistry=poor communication. That's clearly an issue with this unit.

That sounds like bulls***. We had chemistry issues before Horford. No need to play the blame game.

I don't know about friends, Josh has his own crew outside of the players. Al does his own thing too. A lot of lone wolves on this team, not like the Celtics.

It doesn't take a genius to realize Josh is a malcontent. Maybe MC was just re-stating the obvious to get people talking. Either way, Josh has to be on his last leg with this organization. Either he matures into a team player or he's traded for the best deal Sund can work out at the time.

Malcontent is a strong word. I think he grew out of that stage.

• Premium Member

Josh won't be happy until he lands with a coach who will let him shoot jumpers at will. He just doesn't realize that there is no such coach in the NBA.

• Like 1

....He had one of his most efficient seasons back in 2010, when Woody had FINALLY gotten the 3 point shot out of his system. As soon as Woody left, Drew let him jack up jumpers again....

But surprisingly when it came to 3 pointers last year (NBA Stats):

Hinrich - # 32 in the league at .399 %age

Craw - # 105 in the league at .341 %age

Smoove - (not counted in stats due to not enough shots).. .331 %age

Mo Evans #116 in the league at .329 %age

Joe Johnson #131 in the league at .297 %age

Hmmm....... rolleyes.gif

Edited by DJlaysitup

But surprisingly when it came to 3 pointers last year (NBA Stats):

Hinrich - # 32 in the league at .399 %age

Craw - # 105 in the league at .341 %age

Smoove - (not counted in stats due to not enough shots).. .331 %age

Mo Evans #116 in the league at .329 %age

Joe Johnson #131 in the league at .297 %age

Hmmm....... rolleyes.gif

Joe shot the ball so poorly in the 1st half of the season thanks to the elbow. After that he was back to Joe, especially in the playoffs. Nothing to worry. I don't think Smith is as poor a shooter as people think. He has improved greatly at it but he really need to stick to shooting within 15 ft.

smoove is right. drew did not pull alfred one time for not playing as hard and physical as he should. al and his father both seem to think he is better than he really is. they talk way more than they should.

What are you talking about?

it's pretty clear what i'm talking about. al never gets pulled for playing poorly. he has a lot more freedom to suck in games before coach drew sits him.

Oh my, you have no clue do you? Josh didn't get pulled because of playing poorly. He was pulled because he was making decisions that was taking us out of games and changing the morale of the team single handedly. If he was pulling starters for playing bad, Al would have been benched more often as would Joe. Jamal as well.

Look at Wade and Lebron, they play poorly at times and they don't get benched. There is a reason why to that. It's not about showing favoritism. We expect Smith to struggle at times like EVERYONE else but the reason he gets benched is cause he can take you completely out of a game. Example: Philly v. Atlanta last year. The one where we were blown out. Josh took us out of that game from the beginning and we never recovered. If Woody didn't value defense so much, the same thing would have happened to Josh then too. Stop thinking this about I like Al better or stuff. Sometimes certain players can have an impact that can be positive and negative. Smith is one of those players.

• Moderators

Josh is just taken for granted around here. NBA careers are short and honestly i think Josh can see that this team has 2nd round exit as ceiling without some changes. Some of our players seem content with this. I hope i'm wrong and we get some guys with something to prove this year. The truth is that a lineup of Teague/Joe/Marv (or prince!)/Smoove and Horford ought to be wearing other teams out with their style of play. Instead often we made it easy for the other team.