• Premium Member

But surprisingly when it came to 3 pointers last year (NBA Stats):

Hinrich - # 32 in the league at .399 %age

Craw - # 105 in the league at .341 %age

Smoove - (not counted in stats due to not enough shots).. .331 %age

Mo Evans #116 in the league at .329 %age

Joe Johnson #131 in the league at .297 %age

Hmmm....... rolleyes.gif

nbasuperstar40 already mentioned the injuries. There's also the small detail of nearly all of JJ's perimeter shots being contested while almost none of Josh's were. And that JJ has a long history of being an effective three-point shooter, while Josh was only good (really, only decent) for about 3 months last year and 2 months back in '07, despite the fact that no one bothers to guard him when he's on the perimeter.

The truth is that a lineup of Teague/Joe/Marv (or prince!)/Smoove and Horford ought to be wearing other teams out with their style of play. Instead often we made it easy for the other team.

And you don't think Josh, with his desire to run the break and shoot 3 pointers while playing poor on-ball defense and only rebounding when he feels like it, is a major part of that problem?

But surprisingly when it came to 3 pointers last year (NBA Stats):

Hinrich - # 32 in the league at .399 %age

Craw - # 105 in the league at .341 %age

Smoove - (not counted in stats due to not enough shots).. .331 %age

Mo Evans #116 in the league at .329 %age

Joe Johnson #131 in the league at .297 %age

Hmmm....... rolleyes.gif

Hmmmmm...one of these things is not like the others. Everyone on that list are guards except Josh. Josh taking 3-pts is not the issue, it's time and circumstance in games that has always been the problem.

If I were Rick Sund I would call the Mavericks to gage their interest in a sign and trade with Tyson Chandler for Josh Smith.

The Mavericks need to get younger, in the worst way, and are looking at all angles with Tyson Chandler. This could make sense for both sides. Smoove would be a nice fit next to Dirk. Rick Carlisle with veterans like Kidd, Terry, and Dirk could be what Smith need to keep his attitude and emotions in check.

Chandler has warts.........he just turned 29 in October but has had his share of injuries. At the same time he is a true center, made the NBA All Defense, has championship expierence, and is coming off his best season last year. Anyone we get for Smoove will have some warts.

My 2nd call would be to the Nuggets to inquire about a S&T for NeNe with Josh Smith.

Al Jefferson would be target #3.....though a 3 team trade would be needed considering Josh Smith and Utah's fan base go together like oil and water.

After those 3 guys I would just assume keep Josh Smith unless we are talking draft picks.

Edited by coachx

My only concern is that word is that Tyson Chandle wants a max deal in the 17 mil range for the max nbr of years...huh? I think that would be too much money tied up in Joe and Tyson for the next 3+ years.

My only concern is that word is that Tyson Chandle wants a max deal in the 17 mil range for the max nbr of years...huh? I think that would be too much money tied up in Joe and Tyson for the next 3+ years.

I totally agree a Chandler is not a max salary kind of player. I cannot see a team giving Chandler the max. I can see him getting an offer for $11 - $12 mill per year which is about the same as what Josh Smith is getting. Smith is makes $12.5 mill this season and $13.3 mill next season over the last 2 years of his deal.

Legit centers are never cheap but neither is Josh Smith.

Tyson Chandler is much like a bigger version of Marcus Camby......who played at a high level well into his 30's. They have the same strengths and weaknesses.

Edited by coachx

I totally agree. At the same time I cannot see a team giving Chandler the max. I can see him getting an offer for $11 - $12 mill per year which is about the same as what Josh Smith is getting. Smith is makes $12.5 mill this season and $13.3 mill next season over the last 2 years of his deal.

Tyson Chandler is much like a bigger version of Marcus Camby......who played at a high level well into his 30's. They have the same strengths and weaknesses.

True, I don't see him getting the max (but some crazy team under the cap just might). If Dallas can sign him for 12 mil why would they not keep him when all his teammates say how instrumental he was in them playing defense and winning. His defense and size is what they needed and on the offensive side, he doesn't care that much about shots.

True, I don't see him getting the max (but some crazy team under the cap just might). If Dallas can sign him for 12 mil why would they not keep him when all his teammates say how instrumental he was in them playing defense and winning. His defense and size is what they needed and on the offensive side, he doesn't care that much about shots.

The only reasons would be b/c Josh Smith is younger and they are already over paying for Haywood at center.

The Mavericks are the oldest team in the NBA.

They

The only reasons would be b/c Josh Smith is younger and they are already over paying for Haywood at center.

The Mavericks are the oldest team in the NBA.

They over paid at center for Haywood last season and won it all, I think they would prefer to bring Tyson back and defend their title while overpaying Haywood, than get younger with Josh and no Tyson.

They would probably prefer to move Haywood than Tyson

If I were Rick Sund I would call the Mavericks to gage their interest in a sign and trade with Tyson Chandler for Josh Smith.

The Mavericks need to get younger, in the worst way, and are looking at all angles with Tyson Chandler. This could make sense for both sides. Smoove would be a nice fit next to Dirk. Rick Carlisle with veterans like Kidd, Terry, and Dirk could be what Smith need to keep his attitude and emotions in check.

Chandler has warts.........he just turned 29 in October but has had his share of injuries. At the same time he is a true center, made the NBA All Defense, has championship expierence, and is coming off his best season last year. Anyone we get for Smoove will have some warts.

My 2nd call would be to the Nuggets to inquire about a S&T for NeNe with Josh Smith.

Al Jefferson would be target #3.....though a 3 team trade would be needed considering Josh Smith and Utah's fan base go together like oil and water.

After those 3 guys I would just assume keep Josh Smith unless we are talking draft picks.

I don't really understand Nene for Josh Smith to be honest. It's not that easy. We lose all the good Josh does as well, not just the bad and Nene gets the good. Nene doesn't bring Smith defense and his ability to anchor. Nene doesn't bring that very high talent level. It's just not that simple. Tyson Chandler??? We already have Al Horford and Marvin who are movement players, they are TRVIVING with is personnel, why can't TC? Well our PG is not a PG and he's not ready. Our other PG is not a PG either, he is a defensive minded SG. It's not like we have Chris Paul or Deron on the roster where this would make sense. We have Teague and JJ and we run our offense through Joe and a heavy dosage of Iso Joe. But I like what you are trying to do.

I would love Al Jefferson for Hinrich and Zaza. That would greatly improve are talent base. I personally think that should be a biggest need if we miss completely on CP3, Deron, and Dwight. The idea of trading Smoove for him is a terrible one. Trading offense for defense for a team who needs both isn't a good move at all, in fact it's a terrible one.

I would rather keep Smith to be honest. He provides a lot. None of these guys can provide as much as Smith. They just don't have the talent.

I totally agree a Chandler is not a max salary kind of player. I cannot see a team giving Chandler the max. I can see him getting an offer for $11 - $12 mill per year which is about the same as what Josh Smith is getting. Smith is makes $12.5 mill this season and $13.3 mill next season over the last 2 years of his deal.

Come on coachx, Chandler and Camby are nothing alike outside of size and their defense. Camby is a good face up player while Chandler is a movement player. Camby and Chandler are about the same on defense when they were the same age. But Camby can play in any offense and not be a nuisance, Chandler can be a nuisance without a playmaking PG. Look at his numbers without Jay Williams, CP3, and Kidd. Look at Camby, not much of a drop wherever he plays.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Moderators

nbasuperstar40 already mentioned the injuries. There's also the small detail of nearly all of JJ's perimeter shots being contested while almost none of Josh's were. And that JJ has a long history of being an effective three-point shooter, while Josh was only good (really, only decent) for about 3 months last year and 2 months back in '07, despite the fact that no one bothers to guard him when he's on the perimeter.

And you don't think Josh, with his desire to run the break and shoot 3 pointers while playing poor on-ball defense and only rebounding when he feels like it, is a major part of that problem?

I agree that there are times that Josh Smith makes maddening mistakes but he's improved every year and still makes game-changing plays. To me most of our other players make just as many head scratching plays and often don't make up for them the way Josh does. The difference is that its not always obvious the mistakes other guys are making where Josh's jumpers are known to everyone. Horford passed up tons of wide open 15 footers i guess because the play they were running called for him to pass the ball. I yell at Horford to do something with the ball as much as i yell at josh to not shoot. Joe has been inefficient and turnover prone for a while now and he's starting to get beat on defense regularly. I yell at Joe to pass the damn ball as much as i yell at Josh to not shoot.

I expect Josh to remind people what he can do pretty quickly this year.