• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks offered for CP3

Joker

There is no way we get Paul and not give up Josh Smith. No Way in hell.

Paul

JJ

Marvin

Horf

Okafor

not a bad lineup if you ask me.

Wurider, you can't give up Smith because that requires you to give up more players than you get back. Josh makes 12mil/per. Okafor makes about the same. Paul makes 16.5. To get the salaries to match up, you need about 16 million in salary (minimum) and because the Hawks are close to the limit, you want to give back more than 16.5...about 17.5 to squeeze money for another signing. Only JJ on our team makes that much. Horford is next but he can't go if Josh goes and vice versa because you'd have no PF. So next on the list are Kirk are 8 mil, Marvin at 7.5 mil. That adds up to 15.5. You are still 500,000 short of what you need for a deal and really need 2 mil more because with the extra players you give up, you'll have to sign 2 extra minimum contracts to fill out the roster and that pushes you a couple million into the luxury tax. the only way you get a player with 16.5 million in salary when you have lots of roster spots to fill is by giving up similar value. In order to add that value you have to add their only other piece that matters which is Okafor which really jacks up salaries. From a GM perspective, that limits Atlanta's options because of our limited spots, money commited to JJ/Horf/Smith at the top.

Wurider, you can't give up Smith because that requires you to give up more players than you get back. Josh makes 12mil/per. Okafor makes about the same. Paul makes 16.5. To get the salaries to match up, you need about 16 million in salary (minimum) and because the Hawks are close to the limit, you want to give back more than 16.5...about 17.5 to squeeze money for another signing. Only JJ on our team makes that much. Horford is next but he can't go if Josh goes and vice versa because you'd have no PF. So next on the list are Kirk are 8 mil, Marvin at 7.5 mil. That adds up to 15.5. You are still 500,000 short of what you need for a deal and really need 2 mil more because with the extra players you give up, you'll have to sign 2 extra minimum contracts to fill out the roster and that pushes you a couple million into the luxury tax. the only way you get a player with 16.5 million in salary when you have lots of roster spots to fill is by giving up similar value. In order to add that value you have to add their only other piece that matters which is Okafor which really jacks up salaries. From a GM perspective, that limits Atlanta's options because of our limited spots, money commited to JJ/Horf/Smith at the top.

Unless they are willing to go over the cap...Who knows

They did say at one time they would go over the cap for Lebron...Maybe they look at Paul the same way

They did say at one time they would go over the cap for Lebron...Maybe they look at Paul the same way

You only have one year with a player that is guaranteed. You better try to sign some role players but I think the talent Atlanta has already is good enough.

• Premium Member

Paul

JJ

Marvin

Horf

Okafor

I thnk the way in hell is give up Horf in a trade for Paul.

So here's the deal:

Horf, Teague, Hinrich, Marvin, future 1st for Okafor, Paul.

Right now, NO has to decide will they resign West or Landry...

My feeling is that Landry moves to the 4, Horf to the 5.

No, it will not. I'm glad you guys aren't the GM. There are financial questions to be asked. Trading 4 for 2 kills us salary wise. We won't be able to sign anyone....ANYONE beyond that and will have no bench. Also, any deal that netted us Okafor will include a center for them (ie...Zaza). Smith won't be going because he makes less than Okafor and Paul. I already posted this in another thread. If you are getting both Okafor and Paul, you are giving up JJ, Zaza and probably Marvin. You are also giving up 1 first, not 2 nor a second.

You would line up....Paul, Hinrich, JSmith, Horford, Okafor. You probably SNT Crawford at this point for 2 lower paid players to help fill the roster (Craw at 8 per, take back a 5 mil, 2.5 mil). You find a jump shooting 2 in that. You keep Teague as your backup point. JJ, Zaza, Marvin (healthy) and a first is plenty to get those 2.

FYI, you run pick and roll, penetrate and kick till your eyes bleed with that group and defensively you could stop anyone. You get Hinrich to resign for 5 million after his contract is up and it frees up money for the money for Paul.

i am just guessing there, negative nancy believe me I don't want to be a GM.

But we do have the pieces, we just need to see if ASG wants to go with it or just content with this group.

Edited by NekiEcko

They are over the cap already. You mean "the luxury tax thresh hold".

Let me do my best to explain this. Once you are over the cap, you can't sign players except for the minimum. The only exception to that is if you have exemptions. However, once you hit the Luxury tax, those exemptions do not exempt you from the LT. You still would have to pay the Tax. AHF did a substantial write up on this here . Except I believe 13 is required now...I read that somewhere.

Now when you take into account you are trading 4 for 2...that creates 2 more minimum slots. You aren't going to get a good player at that slot....period!!!! trading 4 for 2...even if it's Chris Paul/Okafor is a step backwards because there is no one to come back in and take those 2 extra players slots. You become a 6 man rotation and are 1 injury away from the lottery. Welcome to the wonderful world of JJ's contract.

• Like 1

Too much talk about CP3. I don't really believe it.

And BTW this thread's title is very inadequate. Hawks have offered nichts so far.

That and the fact these articles are mentioning that the Hornets are more interested in packages from in conference opponents like the Warriors and Clippers than us lead me to believe that A) We aren't offering the goods B) We don't got the goods to get a deal done.

Paul

JJ

Marvin

Horf

Okafor

Hmm

Teague

JJ

Marvin (or replacement)

Smoove

Horf

based off Teague performance in the playoffs I'd rather just get a strong SF to replace Marvin and then we would have a better lineup.

• Like 1

• Admin

I thnk the way in hell is give up Horf in a trade for Paul.

So here's the deal:

Horf, Teague, Hinrich, Marvin, future 1st for Okafor, Paul.

Right now, NO has to decide will they resign West or Landry...

My feeling is that Landry moves to the 4, Horf to the 5.

No way I do that without the promise of Paul resigning.

I think the better deal is Smith instead of Horford anyway

• Moderators

No way I do that without the promise of Paul resigning.

I think the better deal is Smith instead of Horford anyway

Wasn't Sheed supposed to be a rental for the Pistons on his way to New York? Then things went well (ok they won a championship) and he stayed in Detroit. Its a gamble but we could certainly offer Paul a big contract. Doesn't seem likely though.

The only trade that comes close to working is Joe + Josh + Teague for Paul and Okafor . Al is a Full BYC player and is essentially untradeable until next summer.

I just dont see a league owned team accepting a deal with Joe because of his contract nor Josh because of his rep . They would take AL + picks/ salary but hes essentially off the table .

THe Hawks need to do something, per RealGM the Lakers are gonna try and trade for both Chris Paul and Dwight Howard. Everyone on the table except Kobe. Personally I don't see how they have the peices to make those trades.

THe Hawks need to do something, per RealGM the Lakers are gonna try and trade for both Chris Paul and Dwight Howard. Everyone on the table except Kobe. Personally I don't see how they have the peices to make those trades.

I can't see how the Lakers could get both Howard and Paul. It would have to be something like Bynum +fill to Orl, and Gasol for Paul. Why would NO take Gasol for Paul? I can sort of see Orlando pulling the trigger as they are about to loose Howard for nothing, but Gasol in NO will be a disaster.

If the Lakers get both those guys it just shows that Stern gained nothing in the lockout negotiations. This sort of talent pooling was supposed to stop with the new deal.

• Moderators

If the Lakers get both those guys it just shows that Stern gained nothing in the lockout negotiations. This sort of talent pooling was supposed to stop with the new deal.

While I can't see the Lakers getting both, bear in mind that a lot of the things that were supposed to stop player movement like this won't really be in effect until year 3 of the contract (most notably the stiffer LT penalties and sign and trade restrictions). So you really can't get a good sense of whether stars will keep doing this under the new CBA until at least year 3.

While I can't see the Lakers getting both, bear in mind that a lot of the things that were supposed to stop player movement like this won't really be in effect until year 3 of the contract (most notably the stiffer LT penalties and sign and trade restrictions). So you really can't get a good sense of whether stars will keep doing this under the new CBA until at least year 3.

Thanks for the clarification on that issue. So this might be the off-season where a big run on gathering talent occurs as everyone knows it will start to get dispersed in a few years.

Not sure if anyone has seen this or already posted it, but just thought i would throw it out there if you havent...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/969026-nba-trade-rumors-chris-paul-and-5-players-atlanta-hawks-should-go-after

• Admin

The only trade that comes close to working is Joe + Josh + Teague for Paul and Okafor . Al is a Full BYC player and is essentially untradeable until next summer.

I just dont see a league owned team accepting a deal with Joe because of his contract nor Josh because of his rep . They would take AL + picks/ salary but hes essentially off the table .

I want to see Joe and Paul together in the backcourt. We would have the best backcourt in the league. Don't forget we also have Hinrich's contract as well as a sign and trade of Crawford who is interested in playing for the Hornets.

Whatever deal NO accepts, it will most likely pass through since it will be seen as a rental but whoever lands CP3 will have to deal with the NY media and their constant badgering of CP3 to NY. The only thing Atlanta can do is win and produce at a high rate to where it's clear Atlanta is the best decision for Paul. I really don't think Smith+CP3 is a good mix. It seems like mixing arsenic with Cake mix to me. I understand the talent he has but talent isn't always a good combo if you have the wrong mix. At least have like minded talents like Dwight and Josh together. We have to remember, CP3 is not resigning if he resigns till FA. We are basically trading for those Bird rights and a chance to go to the NBA Finals as being contenders. No matter what MC thinks, Atlanta is at a crossroad and if you feel that Horford could take his game to the next level, do it. Joe will get clearly better with CP3. No one doubts that since Joe is a great 1v1 player, he just has trouble with the double team. Horford seems like CP3's Cinderella but will the shoe fit is the question.

I like our chances at him resigning if he likes his teammates and the fit of the team.

Edited by nbasuperstar40