• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tracy McGrady

Wurider05

don't fool yourselves into thinking that he is going to have a resurgence here in Atlanta. I find it questionable that he signed with us so fast for the vet minimum. If that is the case why not go to a contender such Lakers, Heat, etc. We have weak leadership and soft players. He probably figured that he could come here and take over the team. really who is there to stop him? I hope that things work out for him and us but something doesn't seem right to me.

You know some will dream we get this T-Mac.

Several things could have come into play about his decision to sign here. 1) he could be a starter; 2) isn't Atlanta close to home (if not home) for him? 3) management made it clear that they have a big plan and he bought into it.

Lastly, I don't think these signings are quick and dirty deals. These have been talked about since the end of the season and we are just now seeing the culminations of the discussions between teams and agents.

I would also say that he knows we do not have solid and consistent play at the SF spot and can possible play significant minutes even when not starting. He will also see minutes backing up Joe as well with Hinrich out. Lakers, Heat are set at SF he would see very limited minutes.

• Moderators

He is not going to take over the team. He is a role player at this point in his career; he knows that and so does the front office -- that is why he signed at the vet minimum.

'

That is all the money he was going to get but he is joining a playoff team that was better than the Orlando Magic but has a dissappointing SF that he might believe he can beat out for a starting job and/or that he knows just had back surgery and is a risk to be out for some time this season which could open the door to a starting job.

He isn't going to have a shot at starting over Lebron but will with Marvin.

• Admin

For a vet min it is a great thing. He has a proven track record and was once a superstar in this league. He played well for Detroit, especially at PG. He is not coming her to dominate...he is coming here to solidfy our bench and give us 15 - 20 minutes off the pine. I think Sund did a great job getting him here.

'

That is all the money he was going to get but he is joining a playoff team that was better than the Orlando Magic but has a dissappointing SF that he might believe he can beat out for a starting job and/or that he knows just had back surgery and is a risk to be out for some time this season which could open the door to a starting job.

He isn't going to have a shot at starting over Lebron but will with Marvin.

Agree with all of this. My point was more to the OP's supposition that he 'could take over the team' and 'who is there to stop him?'.

This is a good signing and he could be a contributor for us, but it's not 2003 -- the Hawks are not going to become T-Mac's team.

• Moderators

This is a good signing and he could be a contributor for us, but it's not 2003 -- the Hawks are not going to become T-Mac's team.

I agree 100%. He isn't going to be healthy enough and his days with that kind of impact have come and gone. There is a big gap between "Marvin" and "better than Al Horford, Josh Smith & Joe Johnson", though.