• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Fare Thee Well, Damien!

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
"The situation in Atlanta doesn't seem likely and that's disappointing, but it's the business and I'll accept it. I'm as prepared mentally and physically as I've ever been so I remain confident that I'll do great when the opportunity presents itself."

-Damien Wilkins, speaking to Hoopshype. Wilkins told Hoopshype that six unnamed teams have expressed interest in him.

~lw3

This was going to happen, I don't know why he's surprised.

He's surprised because he turned down looking for a job overseas thinking he had a guaranteed spot back in Atlanta.

Why did he think that was the case, even Sund said publicly that he will resign Collins but they are still thinking about Damien. This was after the draft as well. Damien shouldn't be so naive.

• Premium Member

I will never forget the Miami game in December where he came into the game almost right off of Biscayne Boulevard and literally handcuffed LeBron with his D. Xmas came early last year.

~lw3

+ This. Damien was effective and CHEAP. The ASG should be begging him to come back for the min. He was a bargain.

My take is that Wilkins would have clogged up the roster. I think there is a moving coming from the Hawks where one of the "core" is going to be moved. Wilkins was a nice role player, but that roster spot might be needed for whatever package the Hawks are working on.

• Moderators

Two small postscripts for the Human Highlight Nephew:

http://www.pitchengine.com/damienwilkins/hawks-free-agent-damien-wilkins-treats-high-school-athletes-to-fine-dining-experience-at-mortons-steakhouse

Damien Wilkins, exceptional forward and Hawks’ free agent invited members of North Atlanta High School’s basketball team to the inaugural Damien Wilkins’ Holiday Dinner at the world renowned Morton’s The Steakhouse. While attendees enjoyed premium steaks and decadent desserts, they took part in a conversation with Damien ranging from the importance of education, to succeeding despite obstacles they may face at home.

Damien encouraged participants to focus on their education to achieve true success, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and surrounding themselves with the right influences. Students had a chance to ask questions and were surprised to learn that Damien had experienced many of the same struggles they face. “It was important for them to know, I’ve been where they are, and I made a choice at a young age to stay focused on my goal, which was making a better life for me and my family” said Damien, “I challenged them to work on being a step ahead of their competition on the court and in the classroom”.

The kind hearted NBA star has been heavily involved in community outreach initiatives in Atlanta since joining the Hawks. Most recently, he became an ambassador for the Boys & Girls Club, an organization he credits with saving his life as a young man. In that same spirit, Damien decided to host this holiday dinner to reach out to young men who could benefit from the same type of experience that changed his life. More importantly, Wilkins knew that they would be able to relate to him because he understands their journey as student athletes. Damien also serves as an international ambassador for Save the Children with a focus on their programs in Africa.

Also congrats to his sister, Jasmyn, who won Miss Georgia USA last month.

~lw3