• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Now that it's over, do you think Stern/NBA did the best thing for Hornets?

sturt

I had thought that the League made a great deal. That is until I heard that Boston offered Rondo as part of a package for Paul...What???

Paul for Rondo is still nothing compared to this deal. If you take into account the three players plus the TWolves pick, this is equal to four lottery picks for Paul. If Kaman does not return to form, which he looked healthy at the end of last season in limited play, it is still like getting three lottery picks for Paul.

Kaman is basically traded to make salary match.

• Moderators

I've seen a lot of people on other forums saying that the Lakers/Rockets deal was a better haul for the Hornets... I personally couldn't disagree more. Sure, you get three borderline All Stars and a decent PG, but Odom, Martin, and Scola are all up there in age and aren't getting any better. In the immediate short term (this season), NO would've been better, sure. But the NBA/Stern's goal is to make that franchise attractive to potential buyers. Thus getting Gordon, Aminu, Kaman, and a '12 top 5-10 pick is a MUCH better haul. Stern is building the Hornets for the future (to sell...) and getting this deal done was a very important step in ensuring that happens.

Like others have said, it'll be very interesting to see what happens with Gordon. I honestly can't see him resigning in NO, he (along with Aminu and Kaman) already don't look very happen in their new surroundings...

new-hornets.jpg

That is one of the most uncomfortable photo moments I have ever seen in professional sports. Steve Francis looked happier when the Grizzlies selected him.

• Premium Member

I've seen a lot of people on other forums saying that the Lakers/Rockets deal was a better haul for the Hornets... I personally couldn't disagree more. Sure, you get three borderline All Stars and a decent PG, but Odom, Martin, and Scola are all up there in age and aren't getting any better. In the immediate short term (this season), NO would've been better, sure. But the NBA/Stern's goal is to make that franchise attractive to potential buyers. Thus getting Gordon, Aminu, Kaman, and a '12 top 5-10 pick is a MUCH better haul. Stern is building the Hornets for the future (to sell...) and getting this deal done was a very important step in ensuring that happens.

Like others have said, it'll be very interesting to see what happens with Gordon. I honestly can't see him resigning in NO, he (along with Aminu and Kaman) already don't look very happen in their new surroundings...

new-hornets.jpg

It's not even comparable. The Lakers were given up Fools gold. The fact that Stern got Eric Gordon and Minny's pick is good enough. Factor in a true Big and a prospect Sf and you have a sweet deal.

However, I would love to know the totality of the Celtics deal.

Stern should never have gotten his grubby fingers in a deal that had nothing involving him. The trade was blocked for no good reason. Stern basically is saying "Ehhhh.... if I don't like the trade, YOU CAN'T HAVE IT!!! eheheheh."

Seriously, somebody take the guy out back and put him out of his misery. He's been ruining the NBA for years now.

EDIT

f***in LOL @ that pick of Gord and Kaman. Seriously loling right now.

Edited by Boss

• Moderators

Stern should never have gotten his grubby fingers in a deal that had nothing involving him. The trade was blocked for no good reason. Stern basically is saying "Ehhhh.... if I don't like the trade, YOU CAN'T HAVE IT!!! eheheheh."

The trade never would have been blocked if the Hornets were not owned by the league. This is the conflict of interest situation that evolves. Stern either should have put management in place with the Hornets and let them run the team or said from the very beginning that any trade would ulimately be his call. It is the fact that he seemed to do the first and then changed it to the second that makes it so unseemly.

That is one of the most uncomfortable photo moments I have ever seen in professional sports. Steve Francis looked happier when the Grizzlies selected him.

I know, right? Can't blame them for being upset, I guess. Especially Gordon. I really thought he had a future with the Clippers.

It's not even comparable. The Lakers were given up Fools gold. The fact that Stern got Eric Gordon and Minny's pick is good enough. Factor in a true Big and a prospect Sf and you have a sweet deal.

However, I would love to know the totality of the Celtics deal.

Oh, I totally agree. The Lakers/Rockets deal wasn't bad, but compared to the Clippers deal... No contest.

The trade never would have been blocked if the Hornets were not owned by the league. This is the conflict of interest situation that evolves. Stern either should have put management in place with the Hornets and let them run the team or said from the very beginning that any trade would ulimately be his call. It is the fact that he seemed to do the first and then changed it to the second that makes it so unseemly.

+1 to this also. I don't everyone would be as upset if they knew from the get go that Stern had final say on any potential deal. The way he handled it was not very professional at all, especially all the back tracking the league has done since.