• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks: Michael Gearon Jr. Q-and-A

Wurider05

I enjoyed it and agreed with most of what he said. But the reason why Hawks fans don't like the Hawks like that is because they don't like the players like that. Smith gives fans a headache, Horford is boring, Joe is extremely boring, and Marvin pick still lingers for many fans. Honestly, I agree for the most part. The fans here are too hard of Gearon and Levenson. They are doing as much as Blank sans advertising. They spend more money on the team. But ATF said it best earlier, they don't like the pieces you spent on more than you spending the money. They don't like JJ as a #1 option which I doubt ASG even liked to be honest. Josh/Al aren't a realistic low post tandem. They want a superstar, heck I want a superstar. Under Rick Sund, the moves have greatly improved. Under BK, a lot of missed calls, like passing on Deron and drafting Shellhead.

I defended them, until last summer. They re-signed JJ, and then just gave up.

- didn't hire the big name experienced coach ( Avery Johnson )

- traded the #24 for the #27 and #31 . . and then traded the #31 for cash

- brought in 3 bottom of the barrel big men ( Powell, Etan, Collins ), with only Collins partially paying off during the playofs

- traded Josh Childress for a trade exception, and didn't use it

- didn't use the MLE . . and could've used it on Shaq to get that box office draw the 'casual fan' in ATL may gravitate toward. Matter of fact, they haven't used the MLE since they signed Speedy back in 2005.

- traded "that #55 dude" and our 1st round pick of 2011 + Bibby and Evans . . . for Hinrich.

In all, this team could've had 3 young players on the roster right now that would be better than Benson, Sy, and Rolle . . a proven head coach that knows what it takes to win a championship ( as a player, but got to the Finals as a coach ) . . and had a big charasmatic center to market the team to the casual fan ( had he'd not retired ).

This ownership group had a chance to make their move last summer, and they absolutely froze up.

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Know it's not a popular opinion to hold... and, after all, wasn't that me who was just yelling about the need to be in Gearon's ear about not re-signing Crawford(?)... but I respect everything Gearon says in the piece, and agree with most of it.

- I don't care about the "name" of the coach. Coaching names are easily over-rated.

- I don't pretend to know whether the #31 pick was worth $3 million, but I give the benefit of a doubt, particularly since I'm not persuaded that the player chosen, or that we would have chosen had we been picking for ourselves, would be making any difference now or in the future.

- As bottom-of-the-barrel acquisitions go, Collins sure has been a difference maker at critical times, and I'm not sure how much contribution one should expect from minimum salaried players to begin with.

- I don't see trade exceptions getting used very often by any team even though they appear plentiful... seems to require a lot of serendipity for those kinds of trades to occur.

- I think the non-Shaq acquisition was extremely smart in an environment where emotions could have gotten the best of the decision-makers

- Using the MLE and being $1.00 over the LT threshold under the previous CBA was particularly perilous to a team's payroll... I would have loved to see us using it, but in truth, Gearon's right in the implication that there hasn't really been a difference maker whose contributions would have made this team any more likely to advance.

- I think Hinrich's defense was huge in the ORL series, just as Gearon suggests

Having said all of that, I continue to believe that in a season that has such a concentration of games even featuring four games in four nights, there is more reason than ever before to cross the threshold and add the guys you need to keep your starters from being exhausted come April and May. I don't think it's a good idea to wait until the deadline, because you're forced into acquiring talent by trade rather than picking up some free agents who do not cost you any talent in return.

Thought he took some shots at the local media and blamed them for the perception of the team. Pretty cheap.

It was one of them that made the statement publically: if anyone wants to buy the Hawks . . . . . . .sad

It wasn't cheap it was quite on target, the truth.....most people on this board and all other media outlets have called them cheap from that one article.

Granted if they hadn't resigned Joe they really would have been stuck with the cheap label.

I may not always agree with how they spend their money, but it is their money

Edited by JayBirdHawk

It wasn't cheap it was quite on target, the truth.....most people on this board and all other media outlets have called them cheap from that one article.

Granted if they hadn't resigned Joe they really would have been stuck with the cheap label.

I may not always agree with how they spend their money, but it is their money

Only problem is... If they don't want to make this a championship team, there isn't a real reason for them to own the team. Being a fan isn't enough of a reason. If you don't have the money to make them a title contender, all you're doing is holding them back by owning them.

Joe didn't just have a bad year last year... He is a declining player. This teams ceiling is the same that it's been for 3 or 4 years now. 2nd round and that's it. They played tougher last year in the playoffs than they had the 2 years before, but the results were largely the same. They played hard, but this team isn't good enough to get out of the 2nd round. For years now this ownership has told us that we haven't seen enough of this team to determine how far they can go. This team has been together, what.... 7 years? He's still trying to pass this team off as he was at the end of 2007. Sorry, it's 2011. We have seen how far this group can go.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Moderators

Wow. That was a crazy interview. I didn't disagree with everything but he is struggling with reality.

- he took issue with 'owners suing each other' - well they did get sued and they sued their own lawyers. It took 6 years to straighten this out

- he took issue with people not thinking they are committed owners / said how much losing the Thrashers hurt him - really? You told us for 7 years the Thrashers weren't for sale and then admitted at the end that you had been trying to sell them since day one, invested nothing in that team, and un-did all the work that had been done to bring the nhl back to Atlanta. Probably losing hockey forever. This was more than bad business decisions it was a civic disservice. I'm real sorry it was so stressful for you.

- we aren't looking at the facts? You tanked the Thrashers, publicly pleaded for new investors, sold the team to a guy with even less money then you and wanted to make him the face of the franchise and now say you don't know why people don't think you're a committed owner?

- you seem to blame everything on the ajc and 'public perception'. Somehow this isn't your fault its the fan's fault. And that's been the story for 7 years. You can't spend money because the fans don't come to the games. Its hard to win when the fans don't show up. We have a saying at my company. "It's not what you are but what people think you are". You need to work on changing your own story.

- You have your marquee player you've barely spoken too in 7 years. You think Mark Cuban has only had 50 words with Dirk? I don't care that Joe is quiet. You should be going to dinner with the guy. He is your guy and he needs to be marketed to the friggin city. Most of the city wouldn't know him if they saw him on the street. You have to MARKET your stars. Letting your number one player just show up and work out real hard isn't enough.

- The knowledgable fan knows what's real. You bailed on BK the guy you had entrusted with the rebuild. Quit letting him make basketball decisions, as a result hung onto Woody way too long, hired a yes man GM at the point you had important decisions to make and left him no choice but to re-up Marvin, Bibby, Joe. Kept the team in a situation where you couldn't afford quality backups. All the while screwing your hockey fans and working to bail yourselves out. Not marketing the team. It is a good team. It could be a great one.

- Not a mention of wanting to play for Atlanta from CP3, Deron, Dwight. Dwight friggin grew up here and is best friend is on the team. Yet there are still excuses why this is. Its the medias fault, or players talking???? Atlanta could be right up there with Chicago, New York, LA but it takes work, smarts, money. 5 nights a week the national tv nba broadcast is done right next to our freakin arena and we can't put an nba team on the map???

Anyway, quit blaming everyone else and get to work. You want to attract the casual fan then give them something to believe in.

• Like 2

They are still content with status quo, quite obvious with the mid-level signings of T-Mac and the incredible Radmane. This team won't make any drastic changes, but we can all dream.

....yeah, Boss dogg is back

Edited by Boss

Wow. That was a crazy interview. I didn't disagree with everything but he is struggling with reality.

- he took issue with 'owners suing each other' - well they did get sued and they sued their own lawyers. It took 6 years to straighten this out

- he took issue with people not thinking they are committed owners / said how much losing the Thrashers hurt him - really? You told us for 7 years the Thrashers weren't for sale and then admitted at the end that you had been trying to sell them since day one, invested nothing in that team, and un-did all the work that had been done to bring the nhl back to Atlanta. Probably losing hockey forever. This was more than bad business decisions it was a civic disservice. I'm real sorry it was so stressful for you.

- we aren't looking at the facts? You tanked the Thrashers, publicly pleaded for new investors, sold the team to a guy with even less money then you and wanted to make him the face of the franchise and now say you don't know why people don't think you're a committed owner?

- you seem to blame everything on the ajc and 'public perception'. Somehow this isn't your fault its the fan's fault. And that's been the story for 7 years. You can't spend money because the fans don't come to the games. Its hard to win when the fans don't show up. We have a saying at my company. "It's not what you are but what people think you are". You need to work on changing your own story.

- You have your marquee player you've barely spoken too in 7 years. You think Mark Cuban has only had 50 words with Dirk? I don't care that Joe is quiet. You should be going to dinner with the guy. He is your guy and he needs to be marketed to the friggin city. Most of the city wouldn't know him if they saw him on the street. You have to MARKET your stars. Letting your number one player just show up and work out real hard isn't enough.

- The knowledgable fan knows what's real. You bailed on BK the guy you had entrusted with the rebuild. Quit letting him make basketball decisions, as a result hung onto Woody way too long, hired a yes man GM at the point you had important decisions to make and left him no choice but to re-up Marvin, Bibby, Joe. Kept the team in a situation where you couldn't afford quality backups. All the while screwing your hockey fans and working to bail yourselves out. Not marketing the team. It is a good team. It could be a great one.

- Not a mention of wanting to play for Atlanta from CP3, Deron, Dwight. Dwight friggin grew up here and is best friend is on the team. Yet there are still excuses why this is. Its the medias fault, or players talking???? Atlanta could be right up there with Chicago, New York, LA but it takes work, smarts, money. 5 nights a week the national tv nba broadcast is done right next to our freakin arena and we can't put an nba team on the map???

Anyway, quit blaming everyone else and get to work. You want to attract the casual fan then give them something to believe in.

Great post. I believe Howard and Paul have both expressed that they would like to be Hawks in the past. Don't hear that from them now.... hmmmm. Why not? Either they don't want to play here now, or they have accepted that ownership doesn't have the ambition to bring either of them here. Either way, it doesn't look good for them.

Oh, and I'm tired of them saying "We haven't seen enough of this team yet." They'll be saying that crap until these players are old.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Reading that Q&A, I get discouraged. It's either pure spin (BS) or Gearon is truly confused about "winning." Nobody cares about who lost the NBA Championship and they care less about the milestones of the 15 other teams. It doesn't matter how well Joe plays, as long as the team continues to flounder in the 2nd round, this team will remain irrelevant. That is why we cannot attract the big names and that is why the team is not getting the interest of the local fan.

I have listened to people transplant and native to Georgia, for the past 20 something years talk about this team. They don't read articles and form an opinion of the Hawks. They don't look at the standings and decide to go to the games. They watch the game and see us as nothing but a speed bump for the big dogs - and they follow the big dogs.

Here's a hint Gearon...no amount of bleeding on blog is going to make much of a difference because the casual fan isn't reading it and/or won't be swayed by it. They are too busy shopping for LeBron/Kobe jerseys online (oh wait, they can find that right in our goddamned house....)

There is simply a lifeless culture around this club anchored by a lack of personality. The remedy? Change the damn culture. Diesel said it in another thread and I can't agree more:

This is time for honesty, realism, and balls.

D-12. D-12 is not unattainable. The Magic have made the mistake of keeping D-12. Yeah, they will get offers but as the deadline approaches, so will D-12's power. D-12 will have more say over what he wants. For people to say that he doesn't want to play in Atlanta, that's straight foolish. IF he dreamed of playing for the Hawks as a child and if He and Smoove dreamed of it since HS... Then you can guarantee that it maybe something he wants. Here's the deal. At the Deadline: Horf + Hinrich + Picks should be able to get the job done.

This is a game literally driven by stars. LITERALLY. You have to have that guy that puts asses in seats. He's the guy they come to see and it's not just about him. You have to put a team around him that can whoop *ss. He's the guy that gets people like Chris Paul wanting to represent Clipper Nation. He's the guy that makes LeBron make a "decision."

You don't piddle around, with nickel and dime players (or coaches). You do what needs to be done to get that personality on the team and then you surround that guy with talent and you don't stop until you break out of the 2nd round. That team will win just like this team will, but people will care about it.

The s*** is chess.....and you play the game off the court as hard as you play it ON the court if you want to win.

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 2

Wow. Hots, Wretch, Diesel, and Macdaddy are dead on, bullseye on the mark. The more Gearon tries to point his finger in our direction, there are 5-6 more pointing back at him. I never seen a successful business blame the customer for not reaching their goals and profit margins; NOT ONE.

The secret's out now; the ownership has no ambition to be great. That's the bottom line. Gearon is quite happy with making the playoffs, so long as he gets to have a few more home dates to pad the bottom line. There's no sense of urgency to bring in more talent (sorry but an old Tracy McGrady doesn't count) to get them over the hump. There just isn't. And if they could care less about winning games that MATTER, why should fans like me be concerned with going out of my way to see them live?

• Moderators

Do you see a mushroom cloud in Atlanta this morning?? If you do,, it's because 790 the zone just dropped a nuclear bomb on Gearon for that AJC. interview.

Steak is killing that dude right now...!

Recap?