• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Coaching Wise what would you like to see.

Wurider05

Our core has been togethter for several years now. from a coaching aspect what would you like to see that hasn't really been tried with our talent?

I was just wondering why do we need 3pt shooters to open the floor when our bigs (smoove, AL) don't post or have any kind of post game?? Team of jumpshooters??

• Premium Member

You make a good point. Since we don't have low post offensive players, I would like to see motion that takes advantage of where Smoove gets the ball. Make Smoove a slasher. Set picks for Smoove. One thing we know is that Smoove is a better passer than a shooter and often times, he's left alone outside. Take advantage of that. Have Marv, Joe, and Horf prepared to set picks for Smoove so that he can get a run at the basket.

The other set is to use Teague in a lot of drive and dish situations coming off of screens. Old School. Let Teague play off the ball in the halfcourt set, and run him through screens Reggie Miller style. When he gets space, give him the ball going to the lane and give him two outs on the dish.

Put JJ down in the lost post more. He can back down any other SG in the NBA with his size and strength.

I also agree with the rebounding premise. We really need to get better at that. You can't be a running team unless you rebound.

• Moderators

I'd like to see Smoove at least getting the ball in the low post rather than at the top of the key or 3 point line. There are a lot of PFs that he can simply jump over and shoot a 3 footer. We've never really been serious about being up tempo. We need to do that.

More than anything I'd like to see us develop a bad reputation. I'd like to see a no layup rule and some harder fouls. That combined with pushing the ball more would make us a team no one wants to play. Most up tempo teams are soft on defense. I think that's our key to success. Hard nose defense / run and jam.

I'd like to see Larry Drew develop a system in which he DOESN'T play the entire bench at once. I can't count the number of times we've lost the lead or completely been blown out as a result of this kind of subbing. Drew needs to learn to play no more than 3 bench guys at once. If he doesn't get this down, especially during this shortened season with the bench we have now full of old vets, I don't like our chances.

• Moderators

I'd like to see a maturing set of players who play all the way through the whistle, not just until the first notion of contact, when they have the ball.

I want to see our bigs be more comfortable handling the ball in the low post.

I want to see a motion offense where players are actively moving to get open for shot opportunities, and not find stations around the arc acting like they'll play "Keep-Away" for 20 seconds before deciding what to do with the ball.

For Smoove and Zaza, the grenade rule applies -- the ball should be intentionally out of your hands within three seconds, either by pass or by shot, or you've blown up the entire possession. Joe gets an extended five-second rule when the shot clock is not an issue.

I want to see Smoove, Kirk, and Hofo get help with defensive footwork when they've been isolated away from the rim and the ballhandler drives.

I would like to see Teague play smarter with his hands on defense, knowing that gambling, swiping, and fouling after the shot is not a defensive strategy.

I want to see Marvin living at the rim on both ends.

I want to see greater capability of finishing fastbreak opportunities from defensive rebounds and turnovers.

~lw3