• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Media Hates Atlanta.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Chris Brussard has really shown me the truth. I'm watching ESPN today. They are talking about the league... NY and LAL are not on top... now all the sudden, everybody in the league must bow down and make things better for those two teams? Brussard talked about how he would fix NY and LAL and came up with Lame trade suggestions to give NY's crap and LAL's crap to other team's for their stars. But here's my issue.

This time could have been spent talking about how an unlikely Hawks team has sustained their first class status. How even the loss of Horf haven't stopped the Hawks train. So what does it take? I betcha we can be in the finals playing OKC and the talk will be:

"What must Miami do to make it to the finals."

or

"When will King James win a ring."

I'll never understand why so many Atlanta fans have such a grudge with the media. The Hawks had their time in the spotlight as the "young, up-and-comers" when they went against Boston and the season after. Then they blew it with two ugly first round series and two second round massacres. They had a nice run last year, but it still ended with them losing in blowout fashion in the biggest game of the season. They have two great wins this season, but 5 bad losses. Totally outclassed by Houston, Indiana, and Philly. Then two miserable blown games against Miami's backups and Chicago who had like 13 points in the first half.

If you're not a huge market team like New York or LA, you have to earn the spotlight. The Hawks haven't done that yet.

it is beause we dont have any exciting superstars/up and coming exciting young players and we are not a popular team. Just look at the Twolves before rubio arrived and kevin love was putting up ridiculous stats at a very young age and the clippers before blake arrived. NO1 talked about them.

Talking about popular stars and teams = more ratings.

if they talked about players no1 cares about less people would be interested. ESPN dont care about substance all they care about is money.

Lets be real if they talked about joe johnson few outside of hawksquak (joke dont take too seriously) let alone the whole nation would care unless he does something OUTRAGEOUS.

Edited by yungsta

We shouldn't have to earn any media attention. They should mention every team in the NBA and show all the highlights of each and every game. How in the hell are they going to have fan voting, knowingly they only mention a few teams and players each and every night.

Everything should be divided the same and equally. We shouldn't have to "earn" media attention. That's pathetic. Like I said, that's why I go to NBATV because they actually show all the highlights of each and every team, regardless if they didn't "earn" respect to get coverage.

ESPN is a joke. But then again, I guess that's why it's called Entertainment & Sports Programming Network.

Edited by AHawks89

That's what NBATV is for. ESPN covers all sports. There's not enough time to give every game a decent amount of coverage, so they have to pick the games that the greatest number of viewers are interested in. Your average NBA fan doesn't care what the Hawks did against Cleveland or Milwaukee. They're fine with a 30 second highlight showing a Josh Smith dunk. I don't even tune into ESPN to see coverage about the Hawks unless it was a huge game. I watch all the games and discuss the team on here. If I'm watching Sportscenter, I want to see if the Knicks are still failing or if Kobe scored 40+ again.

This isn't youth basketball and ESPN isn't some group of parents. It's a business. There's no "everyone deserves a trophy!"

• Premium Member

This isn't youth basketball and ESPN isn't some group of parents. It's a business. There's no "everyone deserves a trophy!"

No, there's no everyone deserves the trophy... But when the Hawks are first in their division and the Knicks SUCK.. Why are they talking about the Knicks? If you want to talk about good business, why not talk about the need to BUILD another market instead of constantly trying to appease an established market? Both OKC and Atlanta play an exciting brand of basketball and they win... However, who are they talking about?? A team that hasn't won anything in the past 40 years and are still losing? NY got the gift of Pat Ewing. They got the gift of Melo and Amare. So the fact that they suck right now means that maybe the media needs to hold them to the same standard that they hold every other market to. You're right... NOT EVERYONE DESERVES THE TROPHY.

• Like 3

No, there's no everyone deserves the trophy... But when the Hawks are first in their division and the Knicks SUCK.. Why are they talking about the Knicks? If you want to talk about good business, why not talk about the need to BUILD another market instead of constantly trying to appease an established market? Both OKC and Atlanta play an exciting brand of basketball and they win... However, who are they talking about?? A team that hasn't won anything in the past 40 years and are still losing? NY got the gift of Pat Ewing. They got the gift of Melo and Amare. So the fact that they suck right now means that maybe the media needs to hold them to the same standard that they hold every other market to. You're right... NOT EVERYONE DESERVES THE TROPHY.

ESPN doesn't build up markets. How could they build up the Hawks? They program based on the markets that exist. New York is a HUGE market with plenty of storylines. That's the beginning and the end of it.

Also, the Hawks definitely don't play an exciting brand of basketball. They have streaks of entertaining up-and-down play, but most of their time is spent in a defensive struggle.

Edited by High5

actually majority of the people consider the hawks very boring. We have like the lowest national TV ratings when our games are on.

Even though the new york knicks suck and NY is a big market the owner does a good job of keeping the knicks in the media's mouth by constantly changing the team, making risky moves, being in trade rumors, signing big free agents, clearing cap space and going after superstars. The core of that team changed like 3 times in the last 2 years. Sometimes people think the owner is more worried about being on the front page than winning. If we did that I promise you we would be talked about alot more.

Edited by yungsta

ESPN doesn't build up markets. How could they build up the Hawks? They program based on the markets that exist. New York is a HUGE market with plenty of storylines. That's the beginning and the end of it.

Also, the Hawks definitely don't play an exciting brand of basketball. They have streaks of entertaining up-and-down play, but most of their time is spent in a defensive struggle.

You're wrong! The media has more influence in building markets than any other communication stream. That's just how the worlds ran these days. Hell, its been like that for a long time. I bet you can't get people in China to name all the small market teams in the NBA. The common response would lead to the big market teams that recieve national and international exposure.

You're wrong! The media has more influence in building markets than any other communication stream. That's just how the worlds ran these days. Hell, its been like that for a long time. I bet you can't get people in China to name all the small market teams in the NBA. The common response would lead to the big market teams that recieve national and international exposure.

ESPN can only do so much. They could put every Hawks game on national television, but their ratings would plummet and nobody else would gain much from it. The team has to be intriguing. Whether they're consistent winners, which the Hawks aren't, or they're entertaining in other ways, which the Hawks aren't. I love the Hawks as much as anyone else, but people have to be realistic. Their own city hardly supports them, why should anyone else?

• Premium Member

We don't have a star, we are slow paced, outside of Josh and maybe Teague no one is really explosive and exciting, we have no history of championships (have NEVER even made it to the conference finals), so why is this surprising? If I hadn't grown up watching this team I wouldn't care much for it either. We are playing very well right now, but can we keep it up throughout the season and, much more importantly, in the playoffs? Until this team picks up a Carmelo, Amare, Lebron, Wade, Kobe, Nash etc. or wins a championship no one is going to give two craps about it, and it's fairly understandable.

Edited by Atlantaholic