• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Poll: Make a big trade and have it blow up or stick with the status quo?

Admin

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

Yes, we dump his *ss fast. I like Teague but he's not that type of PG. If we are trying to land Dwight, I rather keep Teague than anyone outside of Joe. No offense can successfully run the PnR without the PG. Look at NYK before Lin. It's not possible.

TP had the freedom to attack the basket without the defense callapsing and him not having to pay for it like Teague does because he's playing with Tim Duncan who is one of the GOAT of the game and Teague is playing with a PnR PF or a talented but low bbiq tweener. If we are building around Al, Teague needs to go for a PnR PG. Simple as that but for who isn't even likely. There aren't any that their team doesn't value by 1000. Denver not trading Lawson. Minny not trading Rubio. We play ugly Basketball for two reasons. No real PG and no real fit even if you had a PG. The easy answer to our problem is a superstar.

Sund inherited a car with the wrong pieces.

Horford injury isn't career threatening, it's barely as serious as Joe's one last year.

He's good at passing when attacking the basket. He's very similar to Tony Parker but he's not as smart nor does he have the personnel that Parker has for most of his time in SA.

For starters, try as they might, the Hawks aren't getting Dwight Howard a by all indications he doesn't want to play in the ATL. Regarding Teague, well I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't get what you're talking. Is Teague a scoring point guard? Absolutely. But to say he can't effectively run the pick n roll is in direct contrast to what he's displayed thus far. To begin, he doesn't get as many reps with the play as he should. Secondly, when he runs the play Zaza, he delivers the ball in the right place at the right time more so than not. And those bounce passes he makes running that play, sometimes in traffic are not easy passes to make. As I said before, if Zaza were a better finisher, Teague's assist numbers would probably be a little higher. And I absolutely think the young man is "smart" enough to get even better running the pick n roll.

Teague can't effectively run a PnR. That's obvious. Everyone from the players to the management knows that. If you don't, it's understandable. Most fans don't know it till they get someone who can do it then it becomes obvious to them. Most fans on here didn't see Smith still being stupid past year three. I been saying it since his 2nd season. I was called a hater for not seeing that he not going to be our savior in 2006 and 2007. Now everyone agree. This Zaza PnR sh*t is hilarious. Neither one of them really play the PnR all too well. Zaza can't create space and he's uncoordinated so he has trouble finishing. Jeff has major issues with reads which is normal. It's kinda hard to make those type of reads much less playing with the speed of the NBA. Most PG's aren't PnR PG's. Very few are. There are only about 7-9 of them in the NBA. Most teams need one outside of Miami, LAL, ORL, and OKC.

Jeff Teague is not a true PG. He is a hybrid PG more like an undersized SG. While Hinrich is a hybrid PG as well but he is big PG and a decent sized SG. Only thing is Hinrich is very smart but doesn't have the talent Jeff has. To say Jeff is smart enough to run a successful PnR constantly is just as silly as hoping Josh plays to his strength and has the best consistency on the team. It's not in his skill-set.

To you and buzzard, I never said Dwight was coming here for a fact. I just said Teague needs to go if you are building around Horford.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Moderators

Most fans don't know it till they get someone who can do it then it becomes obvious to them. Most fans on here didn't see Smith still being stupid past year three. I been saying it since his 2nd season. I was called a hater for not seeing that he not going to be our savior in 2006 and 2007. Now everyone agree.

Wow.

If you are going to play the "I am a sophisticated basketball fan who sees things the average fan doesn't so listen to me because I was right on Josh Smith" then let's go to the tape and see what your assessment was on Josh:

nbasuperstar40:

Josh Smith "is thash, he wouldn't start on any team that wasn't the Hawks"

http://www.hawksquaw...__1#entry181829

I wouldn't pay him over 5 million, he sucks, only idiots think he any good.. he is below average at best and is worth 5 at max... anymore for him is ricdicous.... I'll happily trade him for some role playing talent... he one diminsonal at best not really worth more then 4 mil a season to be honest.. from reading alot of post on this site I come to a realazation that most of ya'll have no clue about basketball...

It is fair to say you (like most of the people on here) saw some flaws in Josh's game that are still a problem but that you massively missed the mark on his value and on what he would become in the days when you were saying he was trash, below average, etc.

If you miss the mark on Teague by a similar margin, he will be a very valuable player.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

Teague's biggest issue in the PnR is that he doesn't even look at the roll man and if he does is too tentative because he doesn't know how to make the appropriate pass. He may lead the team in assist rate but he's just a notch above TMac, Pargo and Hinrich in that regard so we can't crown him as being this advanced passer well beyond his peers just yet. Either way, whatever advances or lack of in his game will play a huge part in determining his value to the team come 2013! 2013! When he's up for a contract extension. Will he be a future member of the team or part of the shakeup?

Teague's biggest issue in the PnR is that he doesn't even look at the roll man and if he does is too tentative because he doesn't know how to make the appropriate pass. He may lead the team in assist rate but he's just a notch above TMac, Pargo and Hinrich in that regard so we can't crown him as being this advanced passer well beyond his peers just yet. Either way, whatever advances or lack of in his game will play a huge part in determining his value to the team come 2013! 2013! When he's up for a contract extension. Will he be a future member of the team or part of the shakeup?

That is true, but that comes with playing time and doing it over and over. We don't run those kind of plays consistenty enough and we haven't seen enough of Teague to make a determination of how effective or not he can be going forward. Like you said come 2013, the Hawks will be in a much better position to evaluate him.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

That is true, but that comes with playing time and doing it over and over. We don't run those kind of plays consistenty enough and we haven't seen enough of Teague to make a determination of how effective or not he can be going forward. Like you said come 2013, the Hawks will be in a much better position to evaluate him.

Well that's the thing, he has this season and next to make all these improvements. Some like to view this as his rookie year but to me, as far as development from 2 years in college plus 2 years of pro practice and now plenty of PT, he should be just about set to make that leap if he's even going to make it.

IMO, if we still don't know what we have in him by the eve of his restricted free agency if not even by next year's trade deadline then he's definitely expendable. No more Marvins or Smooves where 7 years and hundreds of millions later we're still waiting for it all to "click".

Wow.

If you are going to play the "I am a sophisticated basketball fan who sees things the average fan doesn't so listen to me because I was right on Josh Smith" then let's go to the tape and see what your assessment was on Josh:

nbasuperstar40:

http://www.hawksquaw...__1#entry181829

It is fair to say you (like most of the people on here) saw some flaws in Josh's game that are still a problem but that you massively missed the mark on his value and on what he would become in the days when you were saying he was trash, below average, etc.

If you miss the mark on Teague by a similar margin, he will be a very valuable player.

I really didn't want Smith on the Hawks at all cost back then. He was the anti-thesis of a NBA player to me. To be honest, he wouldn't start for any NBA team outside of the Hawks in 2006. He was *ss. My grammar was horrendous back then. While they aren't the same, JaVale McGee for the Wizards gets the same treatment as Smith did in the 2000's. The difference is I won't hate on McGee after seeing what Smith achieved.

Maybe I was a hater to a degree on Smith but watching his stupidity back then angered me so much as well as fans on here claiming he's the next Nique. I was wrong on Smith I also admitted it as well and I am a much smarter Basketball mind now then I was then.

I like Jeff. I think Jeff can be a VERY GOOD basketball player but with this personnel and our team likely building around Horford, he doesn't fit. You should re-up all the posts when I spoke on fit and how this team will never win a title with this core from 08 to now. Please do that since your on a roll.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

PnR are about court vision and BBIQ. If you don't have it, you will never have it.

Diesel's greatest post

While Howard has a lot of potential, I don't think he's proven anything compared to Joe Johnson! Throw in Marvin's potential and this deal would be really good for Orlando. I'm not suggesting that Darko is on Howard's level... I'm Saying that Darko is good enough to start and be dependable to do what he does.

lol.gif

I don't think so as well. just look like a great role player to me on a team where he a star, kinda like Mitch Richmond or Glen Rice.

Joe's analysis

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index.php/topic/181839-does-jj-have-the-killer-instict-to-be-a-champion/

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Moderators

You should re-up all the posts when I spoke on fit and how this team will never win a title with this core from 08 to now. Please do that since your on a roll.

I don't see the special insight that separates one from "most fans" on here when "most fans" have noted the improbability of this core winning a title, because that is what I took from comments on how "most fans" don't understand the game the way you do. The idea that Josh shoots too many jumpers, handles the ball too much - particularly on the break , and struggles with basketball IQ or the idea that this core isn't going to win a title without a fundamental change is what "most fans" on this site think.

The idea that Josh isn't worth $4M per season, is trash and has no future are the ideas that cut against the opinion of "most fans."

Edited by AHF

I don't see the special insight that separates one from "most fans" on here when "most fans" have noted the improbability of this core winning a title, because that is what I took from comments on how "most fans" don't understand the game the way you do. The idea that Josh shoots too many jumpers, handles the ball too much - particularly on the break , and struggles with basketball IQ or the idea that this core isn't going to win a title without a fundamental change is what "most fans" on this site think.

The idea that Josh isn't worth $4M per season, is trash and has no future are the ideas that cut against the opinion of "most fans."

Josh was in his 3rd year playing like he had the iq of a hamster and the consistency of F rated fast food restaurant. He just wasn't any good till his 4th year.

Josh was in his 3rd year playing like he had the iq of a hamster and the consistency of F rated fast food restaurant. He just wasn't any good till his 4th year.

4 mill a year gets you a fat Hamster in the NBA. not a athletic one who can jump out of the gym and block shots like there is no tomorrow. Smoove at 4 MILL a year would be the NBA's steal of the decade.

You have no aurgument here at all saying he was not worth 4 mill a year. In fact you sound a lot worse than the low bbiq person you are critiquing....

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

4 mill a year gets you a fat Hamster in the NBA. not a athletic one who can jump out of the gym and block shots like there is no tomorrow. Smoove at 4 MILL a year would be the NBA's steal of the decade.

You have no aurgument here at all saying he was not worth 4 mill a year. In fact you sound a lot worse than the low bbiq person you are critiquing....

I've stated at that time I didn't want him back at all cost. It didn't matter, I did change my mid going into his free agency. I see no reason why I should be attacked for this when at the time, he was as Hots stated a "junk" player. He just wasn't that good at Basketball, he was awful in his 3rd season. He was an abomination. I don't even feel I should have to explain it because I still remember those days. I am happy to say Smith proved me wrong. I will gladly eat crow since it helped the Hawks but you are an a**hole for the bolded.

• Moderators

I've stated at that time I didn't want him back at all cost. It didn't matter, I did change my mid going into his free agency. I see no reason why I should be attacked for this when at the time, he was as Hots stated a "junk" player.

I only brought it up because you argued your basketball knowledge was superior to "most fans" on this site and that you were using your evaluation of Josh Smith to support this superiority when, in my estimation, you missed the mark on that one.

I don't think there is a trade you can make with this current roster that would make the team better. You can't really move Marvin or Joe because of there contracts, and I don't think other teams value Al or Josh that much relative to how good they are. I think we really try to improve through the draft, and maybe move some of our smaller pieces for draft picks.