• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Graphical look at JJ's point scored game by game as a Hawk

Admin

I was curious to see what JJ's game-by-game scoring log would look like in a graphical format so I put together the attached chart, along with the spreadsheet that I created it with. I'm no Excel wizard or even close to it so this is very rough but maybe some of you statistic genius' can do something more with it? It's kind of interesting to see the all to common ups and downs of JJ that we're used to and it's also scary to see how few big games he has these days.

JJ points log as a Hawk.pdf

JJ Points Game Log.zip

• Premium Member

I was curious to see what JJ's game-by-game scoring log would look like in a graphical format so I put together the attached chart, along with the spreadsheet that I created it with. I'm no Excel wizard or even close to it so this is very rough but maybe some of you statistic genius' can do something more with it? It's kind of interesting to see the all to common ups and downs of JJ that we're used to and it's also scary to see how few big games he has these days.

I don't think it's unusual. I would have been surprised to see any star give you consistent +30 games with no >20 games. There are way too many varibles to extract anything useful from the numbers. You have personnel, you have physical condition, you have age, you have coaching, you have opponent.. just to name a few. However, I expect that this is true of all players. I think more telling would be the coaches opinion of JJ. They are the ones that ultimately have to coach against him. He's a 6 time allstar. That means that coaches respect him enough to admit that gameplanning against the Hawks means gameplanning for Joe. Just to make one more point here. We are 1 and 1/2 year removed from ISO Joe. That was an offense based on Joe's ability to break down a defense on his own. Recently, I have noted Joe using more screens than ever. Statistics can't track that. Nor can they track when he plays with another ball handler like Crawford or with a rookie PG like Teague.

• Moderators

That's interesting. I know we've lost i think one game this season when Joe has scored 20+. To me there is a difference between iso-Joe and featuring Joe in the offense. The 'just taking what the defense gives me' is a great strategy....for Josh. Joe should be pushing the issue a little more i think and the team should work a little harder to get him good looks. He's far and away our best offensive player.

• Premium Member

That's interesting. I know we've lost i think one game this season when Joe has scored 20+. To me there is a difference between iso-Joe and featuring Joe in the offense. The 'just taking what the defense gives me' is a great strategy....for Josh. Joe should be pushing the issue a little more i think and the team should work a little harder to get him good looks. He's far and away our best offensive player.

The team has really never just featured Joe. He has always been the guy who the offense was run through and who could get his if he needed to. I'm kinda glad that Joe doesn't have the blackholeness that Jamal was. However, I would like tosee more of a team effort for Joe. I kind of think about Joe and paul Pierce. Peirce has a lot of plays drawn for him. Drive and kick outs to Peirce. Whereas Joe plays the same way as Peirce, the gameplanning for Joe is much different.

I think the lack of Joe's big games are directly correlated to what we have around him. We have too many players who NEED shots, (not necessarily a bad thing, just one that limits the opportunities that JJ has). Josh needs his shots, Horf needed his, Marvin NEEDS them if he wants to get going (but never really gets that many, perhaps due to airballing layups, haha) and the PG needs shots/plays in order to get others going (Not to mention Craw jacking the last few years). What I saw when Horford went down was 8-10 extra possessions for Joe/Josh a game, with the rest delegated to Zaza to get his on open jumpers and second-chances. That being said, far too often, in losses especially, Josh is picking up more of the extra plays and taking more shots, (especially early in games). Sometimes it pays off, other times it doesn't.

You can't have it both ways, either Joe takes a ton of shots and has more big games, or he plays the way he normally does, get a few shots early, and then get a nice run of attempts in the 4th quarter. He is 22nd in the NBA in FGA per game, and 17th in scoring. Pretty similar, and not bad actually for someone who doesn't get many free throws either. You can criticize his attempts, mainly the overuse of isolation, but JJ has always been the same JJ. I like his increased 3-point attempts this year however, because I feel getting that stroke back from 3 is imperative to getting the superstar Joe.

Another reason for some of the up/down disparity is our extreme number of blowouts where he doesn't even see the court in the last 12 minutes. If we could stay competitive every game, JJ's scoring average would probably be up 2-3 points easily.