• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Joe Johnson: "Some nights we look great, some nights we don't. Hopefully at Chicago we will look great. We'll see.”

GameTime

I've been trying my hardest to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and give credit when its due instead of harping on his numerous faults and bad games, which he has given me loads of ammunition to do so over the years. Fact is, all things considered, the guy makes me ashamed to be a Hawks fan making such a lifeless, defeatist comment, as if his too often ridiculous play didn't already. Who wants to place a wager on his free throw attempts this afternoon? Over or under 2? How about having the worst +/-? At his best, he's very good. Nothing more. At his worst, he's easily one of the worst in the league. You could see about a dozen awful plays and decisions on film borne out of sheer laziness.

Edited by benhillboy

It is tripe like this post that shows how the haters are. You are certainly not a "realistic" fan if you think Joe Johnson is "lucky" to be in the NBA at all. Even with his knee tendinitis affecting him he's still putting up numbers and holding his own on defense. What is NOT realistic is to expect him to put 30 points a night to "justify" his contract.

Why can Joe only be defended with straw men, hyperbole, and a hint of poor reading comprehension? I'm not going to waste my time with that.

• Premium Member

Why can Joe only be defended with straw men, hyperbole, and a hint of poor reading comprehension? I'm not going to waste my time with that.

Why can Joe only be attacked with straw men, hyperbole and a total lack of understanding the NBA? There's a difference between criticizing on a fair basis and making laughable comments like "he's lucky to be in the NBA".

O.J. Mayo

Jeremy Lin would never say this.

• Premium Member

I don't get how guys can bump for JJ. The guy hasn't been able to get his team past the 2nd round. The sad part is it's pretty much all downhill for him.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm trying my hardest to not fall to the dark side...

Joe is a good player, but I think we figured out a long time ago that he isn't the #1 option on a serious team. Hence, part of the reason nobody takes us seriously. I respect him for what he is though and for what he's done for our team.

“It's tough for everybody,” Johnson said. “You look around the league, a lot of teams are banged up, a lot of teams are depleted and don't have some of their key players. But that's part of it. Some nights we look great, some nights we don't. Hopefully at Chicago we will look great. We'll see.”

This was his full quote...maybe he's implying how much we miss Horf?

I like Joe. He reminds me of Woody in terms of honesty who I also liked. Woody had to go. Joe while I like him he needs to be a #2 option on this team and not the presumptive leader. No matter what, if we stick with this exact personnel, that will not happen.

Why can Joe only be attacked with straw men, hyperbole and a total lack of understanding the NBA? There's a difference between criticizing on a fair basis and making laughable comments like "he's lucky to be in the NBA".

When Joe averages 14 points on 39% shooting for a month he is lucky to be in the position he's in. He doesn't do anything else well enough to make it even close to respectable. Especially when the Hawks are 3-6 and he's making comments like these.

I told you to pump the brakes when you were calling people out for not recognizing "elite" Joe Johnson was back after a handful of decent performances against terrible competition. I wanted to be wrong. With every Bobcat, Buck, Piston, Cavalier, and Raptor he put down I tried to convince myself, but unfortunately in the NBA you have to play every team. Even the good ones.

He basically made it impossible for this team to make any moves. I know what people will say: "Yeah, you would have taken the money also" but he knew what it would basically do when he accepted all that money. Pretty much, he doesn't have a leg to stand on if he cries about the status of the team. Further moves can't be made BECAUSE OF HIM.

His shooting is dropping to the low 40's, his 3pt shooting is plummeting again and his rebounding and assists numbers are falling off more and more. He is only an all star this year because the pickings are slim.

Atlanta Spirit offered it and talked a good game. We are willing to pay the LT. We are willing to get you help JJ. Fast forward. They got rid of Mo Evans, Mike Bibby, and Jamal Crawford. Bibby was more effective in his 2nd season with the Hawks than Hinrich and Teague by a mile. Jamal was a supreme 6th man. We have since added Hinrich and Tracy McGrady crazy.gif

As much fun as it is to blame Joe, ASG is the criminals. They keep telling Stern they are trying. Dumb motherf**kers aren't doing sh*t right. Get us a #1 option. Isisah Thomas was a 2nd round pick from Wash with the last pick and he would be a better fit than Teague. O.J. Mayo has supreme talent and he would be an excellent fit for us at PG given our system and style. But no... Let's bring in Erick Dampier. man_in_love.gif

ASG is the issue. Joe contract/production is just one of many stupid things ASG has done in Atlanta.

Edited by nbasuperstar40
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

When Joe averages 14 points on 39% shooting for a month he is lucky to be in the position he's in. He doesn't do anything else well enough to make it even close to respectable. Especially when the Hawks are 3-6 and he's making comments like these.

I told you to pump the brakes when you were calling people out for not recognizing "elite" Joe Johnson was back after a handful of decent performances against terrible competition. I wanted to be wrong. With every Bobcat, Buck, Piston, Cavalier, and Raptor he put down I tried to convince myself, but unfortunately in the NBA you have to play every team. Even the good ones.

You see that right there is just untrue. Even when Joe isn't shooting well he does provide other things on the court. He rebounds, he gets assists and oh yes, there's that entire other side of the court where he is an ELITE defender. Even when Joe can't hit the broadside of a barn he's still giving you effort on the other end. That is why he is as good as he is. It isn't just points he gives it is the other things. Does he have bad games with those as well? Of course, no one is perfect. But when people completely ignore all his other valuable contributions to focus in on a shooting slump it is hard to take them seriously.

You see that right there is just untrue. Even when Joe isn't shooting well he does provide other things on the court. He rebounds, he gets assists and oh yes, there's that entire other side of the court where he is an ELITE defender. Even when Joe can't hit the broadside of a barn he's still giving you effort on the other end. That is why he is as good as he is. It isn't just points he gives it is the other things. Does he have bad games with those as well? Of course, no one is perfect. But when people completely ignore all his other valuable contributions to focus in on a shooting slump it is hard to take them seriously.

Have you been watching the Hawks this month? Joe is allergic to rebounds and his <4 assists aren't anything to write home about. Also, "elite" defender? Give me a break. He's a good perimeter defender, better than most 2's, but never elite. And lately, he's been inconsistent at best. Of course, all his problems are blamed on injuries (iron man to glass man), but if a guy is never healthy enough to produce when it matters then what's the point?

I try to empathize and be open-minded with people who like Joe. I really do. I was the first Hater to prop the guy when he was roasting bottom feeders. Yes, I know full well how he can get hot, how he's always been a very good defender, how he has great size, above average passer at the 2, low maintenance in the media and off the court. Yada, yada. I can't see how anyone can like this guy. Joe Fans, lend me those Rose-Colored Glasses for a second so I can get hyped about this stiff. The "the coaches voted him 6 years straight" argument doesn't mean much to someone who can think and see for himself. The fact that Atlantans, let alone nobody in the national media, cares if he lives or dies supports my argument.

Edited by benhillboy

Atlanta Spirit offered it and talked a good game. We are willing to pay the LT. We are willing to get you help JJ. Fast forward. They got rid of Mo Evans, Mike Bibby, and Jamal Crawford. Bibby was more effective in his 2nd season with the Hawks than Hinrich and Teague by a mile. Jamal was a supreme 6th man. We have since added Hinrich and Tracy McGrady crazy.gif

As much fun as it is to blame Joe, ASG is the criminals. They keep telling Stern they are trying. Dumb motherf**kers aren't doing sh*t right. Get us a #1 option. Isisah Thomas was a 2nd round pick from Wash with the last pick and he would be a better fit than Teague. O.J. Mayo has supreme talent and he would be an excellent fit for us at PG given our system and style. But no... Let's bring in Erick Dampier. man_in_love.gif

ASG is the issue. Joe contract/production is just one of many stupid things ASG has done in Atlanta.

Atlanta Spirit talking a good game? They're incompetent in almost every way possible. When was the last time anyone believed them? I'm sure they told JJ that they would do more to try and make the team better, but I think it was more of Joe taking the money and running. Which a lot of people probably would do the same. But that goes to show you greed and incompetence is commonplace in the NBA.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

No player in Hawks history has been able to get the team past the 2nd round.

Edit: Atlanta Hawks history.

Ben you lost me last year when you were talking about Crawford being better then Joe.

Never said that. Said some things to the effect of him scoring more points more efficiently in the playoffs two years ago or making more free throws than Joe took during that regular season or how he's more aggressive, energetic, and much more entertaining to watch, but find the quote where I specifically said "Jamal is Better" and I'll gladly eat crow. Better pound-for-pound scorer IMO, yes, overall player, hell no, which shows you what I think of Craw's overall game: not much. I just wished he took a few more shots away from Joe as his ability to get to the hole and the line was vastly superior. Scoring accounts for about a third of a great well-rounded player's game, and sometimes less than that if scoring comes naturally. As much as I hate Joe, I wouldn't place him on the level of a one-dimensional player, no matter how explosive that one dimension could be at times. I'll always respect Joe's passing and defending at his position, but as good as those attributes are, they don't even begin to make up for his gross flaws in shot selection, energy, athleticism, and leadership. Nowhere near. Ive gone overboard on my Joe Bashing today, so I'll chill for a few days. I just couldn't be quiet about -21 for him today. If you're truly hurt to the point you're doing your team a disservice, SIT OUT!!!! I would expect a "captain" to know this.

Edited by benhillboy