• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Great Pachulia article, talks about almost being traded last year

Admin

A lot more to this so please click the link ...

http://www.hoopsworld.com/hawks-zaza-pachulia-off-the-trading-block?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=hawks-zaza-pachulia-off-%20the-trading-block

“Last year I was very close to being traded,” Pachulia told HOOPSWORLD reflecting on the drama of last year’s trade deadline. “It was tough. It wasn’t easy. I won’t lie. I didn’t have experience with the trade deadline and after getting used to this city, the fans and the arena – this is my home. The [trade] talks lasted a tough couple of days. During my career I haven’t been traded often, only after my first year when Charlotte came into the league with the expansion draft. They picked me and traded me right away to Milwaukee and that was the only time. My last six or seven years I’ve been here with the Hawks.”

• Premium Member
“Everything starts with the minutes,” Pachulia said. “I have more confidence now. It definitely feels great playing all of these minutes – night in and night out. The big thing for me this season is I’ve started running on the fast breaks more and getting easy buckets. Playing in Europe, those guys really helped me to get out faster on the break so when I came back to Atlanta I started using the same approach and it works perfectly.“

I think you can poll our guys and each of them would tell you that with more minutes, you get better confidence and better production. We've seen it with Teague, Zaza, and Pargo... I would even throw Mean willie Green in there. My thought is will LD ever be comfortable giving players more rest like he did at the beginning of the season or was that just to get guys back into bball shape?

Although Zaza isn't a great starting center, he is one of the best backup center's in the league. Last year was clearly one of his worst seasons since joining the Hawks. He wasn't a factor in the playoffs and his energy wasn't there. He has done a great job picking up the slack since Horford has been out, and his production has actually been fairly close to being in line to what Horford put up. Great rebounder and great energy.

Zaza has been awesome and he's definitely one of my favorite Hawks if all time. I live what he brings to the table and if he had better hands and a pump fake he could be a legit starting center on a championship level team.

I think you can poll our guys and each of them would tell you that with more minutes, you get better confidence and better production. We've seen it with Teague, Zaza, and Pargo...

Was it the minutes that gave them better production, or did their better play warrant more minutes? I don't believe minutes give you confidence and better production, it is other factors. But either way, you really cannot disentangle the two effects.

I've known for a long time that Zaza was capable of starting in the NBA, or at the very least being a backup center on a legitimately strong team. From his time as the starter for us in '05-06 and '06-07; it was evident that he has strengths which make him effective in the league, but are also accompanied by weaknesses which limit his usage possibilities.

The Good-

1. A soft touch on jumpers, and a decent-to-good free throw percentage.
  2. Tenacious energy, especially on the offensive boards.
  3. Good court vision for a center.
  4. Quick (as quick as anything can be for Zaza) hands on defense, especially facing up with other center.
  5. The ability to draw fouls (though he does try too hard sometimes).
  6. He is in shape, as he spends every summer playing for either Georgia or Turkey.
  7. He is tough and nearly fearless, intimidation from opponents can limit the effectiveness of some players, yet when somebody tries to intimidate Zaza I feel as though it motivates him.
  8. Team player, his goal has always been to help the team however he can.
  9. Great behind the back passes.

The Bad-

1. Hands of stone.
  2. Lack of vertical leap.
  3. Lack of lateral quickness, used to be unbelievably easy to beat him off the dribble.
  4. Falls for way too pump fakes.
  5. Tries to dribble too much for somebody with such limited handles.
  6. Hesitant on some offensive rebounds, hoping for the and-1 rather than the quick putback.
  7. Smacks Josh in the back of the head pretty hard after dunks on Ibaka.
  8. Slow pick and roll defender.

That being said, Zaza was no slouch when he was starting in '05-06 and '06-07. If you compare his two seasons at starter to Horford's first two seasons, you see that Zaza was putting up similar numbers to Horf, due to his higher usage rate. However, Zaza's usage rate has decreased five (5) consecutive years, with this season being his lowest of his career (14.1 according to basketball reference, and 13.0 according to Hollinger; good for 284th in the NBA out of 337 qualified players). That could be a testament to Zaza finally playing within himself, as we have enough scorers on the team, though it is still important to note.

nzgmjq.jpg

kdlqtf.jpg

What these (poorly done) charts tell us is that Zaza was a serviceable starter on some bad Hawks teams and as a result we scored the Horford pick and acquired a quality big-man (center or not). The comparison between the two is not meant to imply that Zaza is better or worse, but merely that Zaza was a performing at a quality level at a young age, at being given the opportunity. it is to be assumed that the Hawks recognized that Zaza's potential was limited and agreed that it was better for the future of the franchise to go away from him as a starter. We all know the rest of the story: Zaza didn't take kindly to his limited roll on the bench and has played up and down basketball ever since. However with Horford's injury this season, coupled with Zaza's improved defense, we are seeing him succeed once again.

I have said it before; but I think it is obvious that Zaza's awkward demeanor and Eastern European mold make it easier for some to laugh at him, especially coupled with her love for falling down. However, what some people do overlook is the contact that Zaza actually absorbs and does not get the benefit of the doubt on. It is common knowledge throughout the NBA that Zaza is a banger, and I believe that influences some refs to swallow their whistles in certain situation, especially under the basket. It is obvious that Zaza doesn't have the cleanest moves under the basket, but there are times where the whole chat blows up on him for missing an easy put back when the replay clearly shows he took a Dwight Howard finger in the ear, and an elbow in the love handle.

Zaza has recently turned 28 (and yes I still believe his age is accurate) and if he is able to continue the success that he is exhibiting in filling in for Horford, the Hawks might have a very valuable trading chip next season if they wish to deal him. The number of quality centers in the league is dwindling, and Zaza has proven once again that he is capable of contributing. Coupled with his improved defense (thanks in part to better positioning and patience) Zaza could entice a lot of teams, especially with a reasonable contract set to expire at the end of the next season. Two of the top three teams in the NBA: Oklahoma City with Kendrick Perkins, and Miami with Joel Anthony are receiving absolute horrid results from their big men and has really hindered them. Add in the Celtics struggling to survive with Jermaine O'Neal, Dallas lacking depth behind Brendan Haywood (who is overpaid and set to be overpaid for the next 4 years), Houston with Dalembert as a 1-year stopgap, Portland playing with dead legs in Camby and Przybilla, and that is 6 playoff contenders who are lacking size (though we are as well) who may be willing to make a move for a Zaza in the last year of his deal.

I know we've been through it plenty of times; Josh Smith isn't a small forward, so keeping Zaza in the starting lineup is improbable when Horford returns, especially seeing as we have no backup big in that situation.. That being said, I would still like to see it experimented with, though that is just be wishful thinking. It will be interesting to see whether or not any teams around the league take a look at Zaza this off season or before the trade deadline next year. Listening to other team's announcers it is evident that teams around the league respect Zaza more than some of our fans do, which can be partly blamed on seeing him average more fall downs per game than rebounds in past seasons. Regardless, Zaza's resurgence this season and his reasonable contract make him one of the few valuable pieces which the Hawks hold.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Was it the minutes that gave them better production, or did their better play warrant more minutes? I don't believe minutes give you confidence and better production, it is other factors. But either way, you really cannot disentangle the two effects.

I think more playing time gives a player better confidence. Look at Teague from last year during the season to now. We can't say that Teague didn't have the skills. Teague was a player who walked on egg shells because he knew one mistake and he was getting pulled for the game last year. This year, he has more confidence. His Nick Van Exel suggestions become reality on the court. I'm sure NVE told him when he gets a chance rush the lane and just dunk on somebody.

I've watched John Smoltz build a helluva career based on confidence.

Confidence in sports can not be overrated.

Why haven't Tiger won a major in so long... Lost confidence.

Why was a sorry specimen like Kurt Warner so great?? Confidence.

I have said it before; but I think it is obvious that Zaza's awkward demeanor and Eastern European mold make it easier for some to laugh at him, especially coupled with her love for falling down. However, what some people do overlook is the contact that Zaza actually absorbs and does not get the benefit of the doubt on. It is common knowledge throughout the NBA that Zaza is a banger, and I believe that influences some refs to swallow their whistles in certain situation, especially under the basket. It is obvious that Zaza doesn't have the cleanest moves under the basket, but there are times where the whole chat blows up on him for missing an easy put back when the replay clearly shows he took a Dwight Howard finger in the ear, and an elbow in the love handle.

Zaza has recently turned 28 (and yes I still believe his age is accurate) and if he is able to continue the success that he is exhibiting in filling in for Horford, the Hawks might have a very valuable trading chip next season if they wish to deal him. The number of quality centers in the league is dwindling, and Zaza has proven once again that he is capable of contributing. Coupled with his improved defense (thanks in part to better positioning and patience) Zaza could entice a lot of teams, especially with a reasonable contract set to expire at the end of the next season. Two of the top three teams in the NBA: Oklahoma City with Kendrick Perkins, and Miami with Joel Anthony are receiving absolute horrid results from their big men and has really hindered them. Add in the Celtics struggling to survive with Jermaine O'Neal, Dallas lacking depth behind Brendan Haywood (who is overpaid and set to be overpaid for the next 4 years), Houston with Dalembert as a 1-year stopgap, Portland playing with dead legs in Camby and Przybilla, and that is 6 playoff contenders who are lacking size (though we are as well) who may be willing to make a move for a Zaza in the last year of his deal.

I know we've been through it plenty of times; Josh Smith isn't a small forward, so keeping Zaza in the starting lineup is improbable when Horford returns, especially seeing as we have no backup big in that situation.. That being said, I would still like to see it experimented with, though that is just be wishful thinking. It will be interesting to see whether or not any teams around the league take a look at Zaza this off season or before the trade deadline next year. Listening to other team's announcers it is evident that teams around the league respect Zaza more than some of our fans do, which can be partly blamed on seeing him average more fall downs per game than rebounds in past seasons. Regardless, Zaza's resurgence this season and his reasonable contract make him one of the few valuable pieces which the Hawks hold.

Colin,

This is why I call Zaza Young Vlade. He reminds me of Vlade Divas. It's not the middle eastern mold... it's the fact that this dude does Dirty work and plays C at a high quality. Mostly, it's because of the Flops though. But you ask NBA players about Vlade, they will say he was tough, crafty, and skilled. I think those same things are true about Zaza. He's tough, crafty, and skilled. I think from now own, the big lineup is Zaza.