• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Merged x3: Diesel's Dwight Howard threads

Diesel

• Premium Member
TORONTO — Magic General Manager Otis Smith said the list of teams who are still calling about the possibility of acquiring or "renting" Dwight Howard are down to "six to eight."

"I'd say everybody in the league has called us. …but this late, it's six to eight," Smith said before the Magic faced the Toronto Raptors on Monday night.

My question... are we one of those 6 to 8 teams. I take that to mean that he has probably 6 teams with serious offers.

Let's just guess... Lakers, NJ, and Dallas to start... That leaves three more teams. GS is probably offering Monta. NY is probably offering Chandler.

The question.. Sund, are you offering Horf?

Or is it Boston or LAC?

So here it his Hawksquawk... Do you think that Sund is one of the mysterious 6 or is Sund being Sund and just watching opportunity pass?

• Premium Member

So for argument sake, let's say the teams are:

Teague, Joe, Turk, Smoove, and D-12... + Hawks bench

Vs.

Chalmers, Wade, Bron, Bosh, and Anthony... + Heat Bench.

7 game playoff set for ECF.

What will happen??

Is our defense that much better?

Will points in the paint make that much of a difference?

Will the refs not call so many fouls for Miami?

What matchups do we win, what matchups will we lose?

• Premium Member

It's a nice dream... but Horford getting hurt killed any chance of that happening now.

I'm more optimistic than that.

If Orlando sacrifices this year, they could end up in the lottery picking a new C. This draft and this offseason is C filled. They have Orton, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they can get either Melo, Zeller, or Leonard to give them two bigs and they could play Horf at PF. They won't be able to tank to the top unless they get some of that Tim Duncan love, but they can certainly get some of the solid prospects coming out.

Nope. They're still better at every position except center, and then they would just hack-a-Dwight. Teams with dominant defensive 4 and 5 combinations are the only ones who can handle them (last years Mavs, Lakers). Josh isn't consistent enough, Chalmers is a championship level role player and Teague isn't, and Wade is twice the player Joe is. Battier would have no problem at all shutting him down. Our bench could definitely outplay theirs, but seriously at the end of the day, they have a soon to be three-straight MVP. For all of Dwights ridiculous productiveness on the defensive end, he's just too silly IMO and has shown he isn't very mature or professional. I may be underestimating the guy just because I'm not a fan and his offensive game is still very underdeveloped. And Drew versus a Riley Disciple? Pat would clean house if they lost to him.

Edited by benhillboy

I'm sure that Sund has called and is probably calling, but the Horford injury hurts as I'm sure it would be a PR nightmare for the Magic to trade their superstar for an injured player after all of those years of suffering through Grant Hill.

One thing that has to help some is that Brook Lopez is hurt AGAIN (ankle and in walking boot) so the Magic have to be pretty timid about pulling that trigger and for us Horford's injury is a fluke injury and he's definitely not injury prone like Lopez appears to be.

• Premium Member

Hope not.. I'm not a fan of a guy that doesn't want to come back to his hometown to play. Seems like he's looking to strengthen his brand in a big market. Hollywood Dwight Howard's his new name. Stay away from Atlanta please!!!!

I'm OK if he wants to bolt. I just want to wet my beak on a little taste of Championship possibility.

Let's face it, weather or not he looks at this as just a rental situation, the City NEEDS THIS. We were just labeled the most miserable sports cities in the US. If Dwight comes home, it would be like Magic... Seriously... Magic. I bet, we'd sell out for the rest of the season. I bet, Sponsors would line up to sponsor these Hawks. I bet the buzz for us would be so strong that we'd be on National TV once a week.

Now we can keep what we have and continue to work slowly towards a goal we'd never reach or we can gamble... and if he walks... At least we can say we tried and he'll be the bad guy.. But what if he stayed? Dynasty!!!

• Premium Member

Nope. They're still better at every position except center, and then they would just hack-a-Dwight. Teams with dominant defensive 4 and 5 combinations are the only ones who can handle them (last years Mavs, Lakers). Josh isn't consistent enough, Chalmers is a championship level role player and Teague isn't, and Wade is twice the player Joe is. Battier would have no problem at all shutting him down. Our bench could definitely outplay theirs, but seriously at the end of the day, they have a soon to be three-straight MVP. For all of Dwights ridiculous productiveness on the defensive end, he's just too silly IMO and has shown he isn't very mature or professional. I may be underestimating the guy just because I'm not a fan and his offensive game is still very underdeveloped. And Drew versus a Riley Disciple? Pat would clean house if they lost to him.

I bit of pessimism there....

I like how you say that teams with defensive 4 and 5 are the only ones who can handle them.... and then you say Dwight and Smoove ain't good enough...

That's funny.

Here's what I believe. Having Dwight will make our players better. I think our strength is anytime we have low post threat. Dwight is a low post threat everytime he hits the floor. My only concern is foul trouble. However, with two of the best shot blockers in the game, how could we not be good. You also said Teague is not a championship role player? You're right... because after Last year in Chicago, when he lead us in scoring, it's hard to tell if Teague is a role player or a star player. He did go toe to toe with the league MVP and came out with respect.

I'm not willing to give up the 2nd or 3rd best center in the East for a half-season rental of Dwight. The only way I trade Horford is with a guaranteed extension. I think that Horford is under-appreciated around here and a guy with his skill set and his leadership are not easily replaced.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I'm not willing to give up the 2nd or 3rd best center in the East for a half-season rental of Dwight. The only way I trade Horford is with a guaranteed extension. I think that Horford is under-appreciated around here and a guy with his skill set and his leadership are not easily replaced.

A half-season rental of Dwight with the opportunity to be a longterm relationship with Dwight. Since Horf has been gone, we haven't suffered as a team who has lost their best player. That's because Horf is not our best player. I'm not saying he's overrated but I'm saying that for a shot at D-12, I would give him up.

And if we lose D-12, then we lose D-12... But at least we can say that for one time in this misrable franchise's history, we made a big move worth making.

Horf for D-12

goes up their with Freeman Williams and Drew for Nique...

Robinson for Mookie

&

Long, Augmon to Detroit for picks so that we can get Deke.

But you got to realize, you're not trading for somebody that could be great, you're trading for the most powerful C in the game right now. If that's only for a few months, then let's do it.

A half-season rental of Dwight with the opportunity to be a longterm relationship with Dwight. Since Horf has been gone, we haven't suffered as a team who has lost their best player. That's because Horf is not our best player. I'm not saying he's overrated but I'm saying that for a shot at D-12, I would give him up.

And if we lose D-12, then we lose D-12... But at least we can say that for one time in this misrable franchise's history, we made a big move worth making.

Horf for D-12

goes up their with Freeman Williams and Drew for Nique...

Robinson for Mookie

&

Long, Augmon to Detroit for picks so that we can get Deke.

But you got to realize, you're not trading for somebody that could be great, you're trading for the most powerful C in the game right now. If that's only for a few months, then let's do it.

First off we're not as good as our record without Horford indicates, don't let the recent wins fool you.

Second, next year when Dwight leaves and Horford is playing center in Orlando and going to his next All-Star game nobody will remember that Atlanta tried to make a run for it, they'll remember we failed and will continue to be the laughing stock of the league and drawing ever fewer fans to the games.

Bottom line is that it's not worth it without a new contract.

• Premium Member

First off we're not as good as our record without Horford indicates, don't let the recent wins fool you.

Second, next year when Dwight leaves and Horford is playing center in Orlando and going to his next All-Star game nobody will remember that Atlanta tried to make a run for it, they'll remember we failed and will continue to be the laughing stock of the league and drawing ever fewer fans to the games.

Bottom line is that it's not worth it without a new contract.

I would have to agree with your take. However, I think if the Magic ended up placing Horford at his natural position, the Hawks would look like even bigger fools.

I would have to agree with your take. However, I think if the Magic ended up placing Horford at his natural position, the Hawks would look like even bigger fools.

You'd think so but if I remember correctly Horford, at least this year, was getting whipped at PF while dominating at C. I don't remember the numbers from last year or previous years but I'd bet they are similar. I think him being undersized actually works to his advantage.

• Premium Member

You'd think so but if I remember correctly Horford, at least this year, was getting whipped at PF while dominating at C. I don't remember the numbers from last year or previous years but I'd bet they are similar. I think him being undersized actually works to his advantage.

I think Horford will become a better player when given an extended opportunity to play the 4. He's had some monster games at the 4 vs Chicago when allowed to play extended minutes there. But more so than the numbers, I like the size and positional defense he brings to the position.