• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Would you gamble on D Howard for the rest of this year even if he decides not to resign?

JTB

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is not a trade topic....well somewhat it is but more of a FUTURE topic!

As hawks fan I dont care how much you love your ATL Hawks you know deep down inside that we will not get past the 2nd round and even if we do we will not get out of the next round for sure. An to be completely honest the reason it will not happen isnt because of talent but more so because of NAME POWER.

If we did somehow get to the ECF we will more than likely be playing either the bulls or the Heat. Lets face it! we come up against these teams in a ECF the series will be 4-1 or 4-0 EVEN if we play a perfect game, we still wont win. Main reason is because we not get the same amount of free throws as either the bulls or heat!....Thats right a perfect game in the playoffs from our Hawks and we still wont win because we dont have respect from the ref to get to the free throw line.....so why keep this team togeather at all?!

Its time to BUST this team up and only keep bonehead Josh Smith. I rather we send some of our huge assests away to acquire howard than to stick with this team for another 3-4 years. They just cant get it done.

Getting Howard this season will give the Hawks a chance to go out with a Bang and put it all on the line and if he dont resign, it will just be time to rebuild which dont seem like a bad idea.

Ending comments:

please keep in mind that this is realy not like me to say bust our hawks team up and gamble on a player for the rest of the season even if we may lose him in the off-season but its a smart thing to do and if you read my post I never say any thing like this but I actually think it will be bestfor the asg and fans.........

and to add to me this group has really tried and I appreciate the efforts but its really just time to bust it up and get some new pieces. Its silly not for this team to be building around smith who has been our best overall player for a while now. I say bust this team up and at worst we still have joe and smith to go in next season as well as young teague and we just try to make that work until we are able to get some new pieces.

Edited by JTB

• Premium Member

JTB, I don't look at it as busting our team up. Let's thnk about the worst case scenerio... Howard decides to walk...

First off, he might do us the favor of allowing us to SNT him. I'd take Lopez and capspace please.

But let's go even worse... He just walks.

What's left...

Teague, Joe, Turk, Josh, and room for another solid center like Kaman or the other lopez.

The point is, that we're still not done for. We get out of Marvin's contract. We have had a shot at the title. And we still have good players. Where's the problem?

Oh.. The problem is losing Horf? Horf is good, but at the same time, the gamble is worth it.

We've played most of this season without Horf. We're not that bad.

This team has to prove that we can do something with the right pieces. Howard leaves, maybe another good FA want to come here. Maybe GMs start to take notice of our talent. This is reloading.

Of course! We were probably gonna go into rebuild mode anyways if we didn't win this season. It will build buzz for the Hawks and it'll be hard for Dwight to leave his hometown if they have success.

Edited by EazyRoc

• Premium Member

Are you guys so pessimistic about this team that you think we couldn't win it all with D-12? Are you so pessimistic that you think that if we did win it all with D-12, we wouldn't give him enough reason to stay?

Those are the two questions here.

Now, if you consider that we get D-12 in this proposed trade and we lose....

Then what's getting Horf going to do? Continue Mediocrity?

If you consider that we get D-12, we win, and he still not want to stay?? SO WHAT!!! We haven't won a championship in Atlanta. Ever. The last time this franchise won a championship, it was the 50s and MLK was alive. This City needs an NBA championship... and If Heartache follows then SO THE f*** WHAT... At least we got one.

However, to hear you guys say.. I don't want a rental, I don't want a rental... tells me that you guys are stuck in that welfare mentality that I spoke of so long ago. You're scared to take a chance. Let me remind you of the words from the motivational Speaker Eminem..

"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity

To seize everything you ever wanted in one moment

Would you capture it or just let it slip?"

or

"You better lose yourself in the music, the moment

You own it, you better never let it go

You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow

This opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo"

I don't like the idea of trading Horf especially if Dwight's eyes is in Brooklyn but it would give us a shot.

• Moderators

Has any team been successful in winning an NBA title that has TWO marquee frontcourt players shooting under 60% from the free throw line? Maybe it has, I'm merely asking aloud.

~lw3

Still digging for a scenario that would be comparable to a D12 (.485) and Smoove (.568) pairing in terms of free throw shooting.

The closest I've come so far is Shaq (.469) and Toine (.628) for the Heat in '06. Walker was the SF who regained his starter's role late in the season and maintained it through the playoffs, while Udonis Haslem (.789) was the PF.

Not a frontcourt tandem, but Rondo (.611) and Perkins (.623) for the Celtics in '08 were under 70%. Their Big 3 teammates picked up the slack.

Duncan (.690) and Admiral (.658) were shooting under 70% for the '99 Spurs, but not under 60%. The '05 Spurs had four guys starting under 70% (Duncan, Parker, Bowen; Rasho during the season and Nazr for the stretch run).

Pippen (.679) and Rodman (.528) were below 70% in '96, as were Pippen (.663) and Ho Grant (.619) in '93. Pippen got his FT% up in the later championship years.

Big E Elvin Hayes (.634) and Wes Unseld (.538) were below 70% but got it done with the Bullets in '78. Wilt (.441) got it done with Billy Cunningham (.686) with the Sixers in '67, but the Kangaroo Kid was coming off the bench at that time.

~lw3

The simple solution here would be to just have Dwight and Josh shoot better from the FT line. lol.gif

I think I read that last night Dwight set a record for 39 FT attempts or something like that? Not that I wouldn't love to have Dwight on this team but damn just think how long games like that would last!

LOL this is very funny to me....mainly because we have Hawk fans that are worried over losing players as if we are a championship team!

IF and only IF you are a worried fan look at the trade for Howard this way:

If we get Howard we get one good *ss shot at the title, then worst case scenario if we lose him we STILL have a good team with Teague, Johnson, Turk, Smith and probably Zaza at center replacing Howard! PEOPLE this is a WIN-WIN situation! can you guys not see that?! We will still make the playoffs even if Howard left us after the season....we good!

Desiel has been saying this the whole time! we get howard we get a shot, we lose howard after we get him we are still a 2nd round East team!...ASG/Sund need to make this trade and make it now!

• Moderators

I think I read that last night Dwight set a record for 39 FT attempts or something like that? Not that I wouldn't love to have Dwight on this team but damn just think how long games like that would last!

Thankfully for Orlando, Hack-a-Dwight wasn't last night, it was back in January during an 8-point win against the Warriors (Dwight went above his average, 21-for-39).

~lw3

Thankfully for Orlando, Hack-a-Dwight wasn't last night, it was back in January during an 8-point win against the Warriors (Dwight went above his average, 21-for-39).

~lw3

Geez I must have seen that as a side link on an old article or something because I know I just saw that yesterday. Thanks for the correction though!