• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Diesel Agenda Continues.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Somebody said, I have an agenda. I do. It's to open blind eyes so that we can talk truthfully...

So

to further this agenda... I want Hawks to answer this question (honestly if you can)..

The problem with the Hawks is _________________________________________.

Fill in the blank in your post.

The problem with the Hawks is: "Poor Salary management and poor talent evaluation".

Let's look at the obvious draft failures, the poorly timed contracts (everyone is a 5 yearer it seems). The bloated Joe's contract, Marvin's, letting Josh explore his value and then having to match 12+ per when he could have been signed for 10 average. Waiting too long to re-up rookie contracts has us overpaying in the end, late choices on the vets doing the same, sitting on Marvin's contract for way too long. I think he brings better before last season.

and 2 years of Zaza having to fight for minutes with the likes of Powell...how's that for talent evaluation?

Edited by thecampster

The problem with the Hawks is the front office won't hire a coach able to keep Josh away from the 3-pt line.

That's it right there. The problem is the owners that won't pay for a good GM that won't pay for a good coach that can't control a mediocre roster that the owners and GM won't spend to improve upon.

Because of the ownership's status quo the team will never improve. They won't trade players when value is high and the Joe Johnson signing is made horrible mostly because the owners won't spend to capitalize on it. They've been plenty of teams that have survived overpaid players that aren't that good mainly because they kept spending to improve or at least tried. Heck, even the Bucks achieved this with Michael Redd getting paid 20 million to rehab his knees at home yet were still spending every year and acquiring high priced assets in order to capitalize on the investment so it's not the market.

The owners invested their finite resources in a flawed roster but won't spend on a top notch coach to milk all they can out of their roster, won't invest in a top notch GM or even a scouting department or pay to acquire cheap assets to supplement their flawed roster, won't competitively bid on top role players to supplement their flawed roster, won't even bother to resign productive players like Jamal that were supplementing their flawed roster and won't even be able to afford their flawed roster anymore in a year when Teague and Josh are free agents.

• Premium Member

The problem with the Hawks is that in the grand scheme of the NBA, they are irrelevant.

I like this answer and my response is...

You got to win convincingly on TV. We do the opposite... we beat teams under blackout conditions. It's like the lights out match after the show is over or before the show begins. Nobody knows what happened unless Smoove dunks on Ibalka.

But if you look over the past 3 yrs on National TV (aside from the playoffs), I would think we have lost em all. Commentators see us as irrelevant because when the National cameras show up, we're like a lamb for the slaughter.

The problem is playoff time. In the playoffs, this humble team that normally lays down for everybody undergoes a metamorphosis and all the sudden are exciting world beaters. I'm sorry... objectively, the Hawks Bulls series was 10 times better than the Bulls Heat Series last year. The Hawks Celts Series a few years ago was one of the most exciting series ever.

Don't get me wrong, I have to give it up for OKC vs. Memphis and OKC vs. Dallas too. But that's because nobody does a whiteout better than OKC fans. Or a blue out (Cuban)...

• Like 1

Joe' and Marvin's contract combined with the cash-strapped ASG is the foundation of all our problems. If we had Joe at a great value instead of an insane overpay and Marvin was getting paid like a solid defensive glue guy (half of what he makes and will make), I just know we'd have a Nene or Marc Gasol type locked up and wouldve been able to keep Jamal, who can shoot more free throws off of one shot than Joe does all game.

I tried to edit the above post but for some reason "you do not have permission to edit this topic" has been popping up pretty frequently lately (Dol?). I was gonna add that having a True Center and Jamal's point production wouldve boosted our point differential by +5 for a few past years, now, and a few years to come. Im sure that would amount to dozens of more wins for this group, regular or post season.

I tried to edit the above post but for some reason "you do not have permission to edit this topic" has been popping up pretty frequently lately (Dol?). I was gonna add that having a True Center and Jamal's point production wouldve boosted our point differential by +5 for a few past years, now, and a few years to come. Im sure that would amount to dozens of more wins for this group, regular or post season.

You have to edit your post within 5 minutes. We were having some issue where people were changing their posts after the fact so that time was adjusted from 30 minutes to 5 minutes.

You have to edit your post within 5 minutes. We were having some issue where people were changing their posts after the fact so that time was adjusted from 30 minutes to 5 minutes.

Cool. "And knowing is half the battle.". -G.I. Joe

The problem with Hawks is, most sports fans and media are immature. But, that is the nature of sports. Most of these posts, the topics, the articles, the pundents. They make the Hawks out to be a bad team. They are not. They just aren't great. I think of other sports teams like the Barry Bonds Pirates. The Eagles from almost every era. These aren't bad teams. They just aren't champions. 1 team wins it all. The most you can ask is that they get in the tournament and have a chance. Yes they need to get better. Yes mistakes have been made. But, we are a top 6 team in the league even if guys don't want to admit it. Other teams have come and gone during this run. Hawks have consistently achieved being good when every opinion seems to say they are bad. Maybe they are overachieving then and need a little more credit.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Injuries and Joe Johnson affects how our offense shares the ball. If Joe Johnson is taking notes on what is happening in his absence and comes back and fits in on offense and give us his usual steady defense, the Hawks can beat anyone. Even without Horford. Of course Drew has to not play him 45 minutes a game at the expense of other contributors off the bench. Drew also has to have the appropriate person taking shots during a game. When it is determined that player X can't miss then the offense should get player X the ball and not just automatically go thru Joe or Josh especially when they are missing their shots!

Edited by Peoriabird

We have some decent talent in JJ, Horford, and Smoove but we are not big enough in the paint and we get beat at the point as well.

We need to shore up at least one of those two weaknesses. Examples: Lakers can get by with a average point and Celtics when they were the team to beat could get by with a average center. Miami has so much talent they can get by without a point or center and they are probably the only team with that much talent at sg, sf, and pf.

The problem with the Hawks is: "Poor Salary management and poor talent evaluation".

Let's look at the obvious draft failures, the poorly timed contracts (everyone is a 5 yearer it seems). The bloated Joe's contract, Marvin's, letting Josh explore his value and then having to match 12+ per when he could have been signed for 10 average. Waiting too long to re-up rookie contracts has us overpaying in the end, late choices on the vets doing the same, sitting on Marvin's contract for way too long. I think he brings better before last season.

and 2 years of Zaza having to fight for minutes with the likes of Powell...how's that for talent evaluation?

Exactly.

We will forever be haunted by our drafts. They are embarrassing.

Asg sucks too. I wish we could trade them.