• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Great article about re-signing Dwight from the Magic BasketBlog

Admin

Figured I would post this since I'm sure there is a lot of confusion regarding the new CBA and about SnT players so while this is directly about Howard, it applies to anyone we might trade for and I believe would apply for Smith next year as well.

http://blogs.orlando...am-in-july.html

The team that has Dwight Howard on its roster after the March 15 NBA trade deadline will have a financial advantage to re-sign Howard if he exercises his current contract’s early termination option after this season. But as we’ve stated before, it’s not quite the advantage the league makes it out to be.

The team that has Howard after the deadline would be allowed to offer Howard a five-year deal with annual raises of 7.5 percent of a first-year salary of almost $19 million. That contract would be worth a total of $109.2 million.

All other teams “only” could offer Howard a four-year deal with annual raises of 4.5 percent of a first-year salary of about $19 million. That contract would be worth a total of $81.1 million.

People who say Howard would be giving up almost $28 million in salary if he signs with a new team are only somewhat accurate. They are measuring a four-year contract against a five-year contract and don’t take into account that the bulk of the $28 million difference comes from that fifth year.

At 26 years old, Howard is young enough that he should have no problem receiving another maximum-salary contract at the end of a four-year deal.

So let’s compare the first four years of the five-year deal with 7.5 percent raises to the four years of the four-year deal with 4.5 percent raises. The total discrepancy in salary during those four seasons would be $3.42 million, and Howard’s advisers are confident Howard could make up that gap (and perhaps any difference in state income taxes) by going to a larger market and receiving more endorsements.

Obviously, it would be preferable to have a five-year deal with $109.2 million in guaranteed money. But perhaps not so preferable that it would prevent Howard from signing a four-year deal with a completely new team in July.

<table class="tableizer-table" border="1"> <tbody> <tr class="tableizer-firstrow"> <th> Season</th> <th> 4-year deal, with 4.5 percent annual raises</th> <th> 5-year deal, with 7.5 percent annual raises</th> <th> Total difference in salary</th> </tr> <tr> <td> Season 1 (2012-13)</td> <td> $18,996,359</td> <td> $18,996,359</td> <td> Through 1 season: $0</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Season 2 (2013-14)</td> <td> $19,851,195</td> <td> $20,421,086</td> <td> Through 2 seasons: $569,891</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Season 3 (2014-15)</td> <td> $20,706,031</td> <td> $21,845,813</td> <td> Through 3 seasons: $1,709,673</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Season 4 (2015-16)</td> <td> $21,560,867</td> <td> $23,270,540</td> <td> Through 4 seasons: $3,419,346</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Season 5 (2016-17)</td> <td> Not applicable</td> <td> $24,695,267</td> <td> Through 5 seasons: $28,114,613 *</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Total value</td> <td> $81,114,452</td> <td> $109,229,065</td> <td> Howard would make up much of the $28,114,613 difference by signing another max contract after a four-year deal</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

• Like 1

As you can see the only advantage (speaking financially) to Howard on a 5 year deal would be if he had a career ending injury and wouldn't be able to get another max deal after 4 years. Otherwise through 4 years there is not much of a difference and if he were in a big market he'd be able to make that up in endorsements.

Figured I would post this since I'm sure there is a lot of confusion regarding the new CBA and about SnT players so while this is directly about Howard, it applies to anyone we might trade for and I believe would apply for Smith next year as well.

That is what the article said that I read concerning Howard leaving roughly 30 million on the table and money being his first concern. I just did not read into it the new CBA. Appreciate the post!

109.2 VS 81.1 is still almost 30 million left on the table.

That is what the article said that I read concerning Howard leaving roughly 30 million on the table and money being his first concern. I just did not read into it the new CBA. Appreciate the post!

109.2 VS 81.1 is still almost 30 million left on the table.

Yep but he'd make that up in year 1 of his next contract so there's not much of a difference at all and I'm sure he'd make it up in endorsements if he were playing in a bigger market.

As you can see the only advantage (speaking financially) to Howard on a 5 year deal would be if he had a career ending injury and wouldn't be able to get another max deal after 4 years. Otherwise through 4 years there is not much of a difference and if he were in a big market he'd be able to make that up in endorsements.

I think the real advantage is to the team that has him for this go around. If you invest that much money in Howard for the next 4 or 5 years and do not have a ring or two, I personally would want out of his deal if I was an owner....

Howard is a better physical specimen than Shaq but 82 games for 14 years will still take its toll.

Dwight certainly has a much lower body fat percentage and more muscle definition but Shaq had 50-60 lbs on Dwight so he was able to take that pounding a lot easier. Then again he also had that much more weight on his body so it's probably a wash.

• Premium Member

As good as Dwight has been he is not in prime time Shaq's league. Too bad Shaq is mostly just looked at as bullying other players.

I agree. Shaq was better. As much as I like Dwight, he hasn't reached shaqfu yet.

I agree. Shaq was better. As much as I like Dwight, he hasn't reached shaqfu yet.

Maybe not but he did take a very average Orlando team to the finals. Shaqs offense was better but D12s D is just as all world as Shaqs if not better.

Dwight turns almost every team in the league into a bunch of jump shooters, add in 20 ppg and he is the best player on the planet right now. Period we need to go get him...

Edited by Buzzard

Shaq's biggest issue was a dedication to fitness. He treated regular seasons as his offseason workout routine to get back in shape. Had he been less focused on being a star off the court and putting more dedication into his body I'd have no doubt that Shaq would still be playing today and would undoubtedly have 2-3 more rings than he does.

Dwight shares a lot of similiarities in wanting to be an off the court personality but there is a major difference in that Shaq never met a man that could push him around since he was 15 whereas Dwight was a bean pole up till his first years in the NBA. Because of that Shaq felt he could slack whereas Dwight works extremly hard to maintain his physical form so I have no doubt that he will get a lucrative 4th and even 5th contract making any monetary differences in his 3rd one moot.

Shaq's biggest issue was a dedication to fitness. He treated regular seasons as his offseason workout routine to get back in shape. Had he been less focused on being a star off the court and putting more dedication into his body I'd have no doubt that Shaq would still be playing today and would undoubtedly have 2-3 more rings than he does.

Dwight shares a lot of similiarities in wanting to be an off the court personality but there is a major difference in that Shaq never met a man that could push him around since he was 15 whereas Dwight was a bean pole up till his first years in the NBA. Because of that Shaq felt he could slack whereas Dwight works extremly hard to maintain his physical form so I have no doubt that he will get a lucrative 4th and even 5th contract making any monetary differences in his 3rd one moot.

I agree with you some in that D12 takes much better care of his body. In that sense I think he is more like Garnett. But even Garnett's body and game started falling apart some by his 14th year. Father time is going to eventually get his, nothing any of us can do about that. Not even Superman

Edited by Buzzard

I agree with you some in that D12 takes much better care of his body. In that sense I think he is more like Garnett. But even Garnett's body and game started falling apart some by his 14th year. Father time is going to eventually get his, nothing any of us can do about that. Not even Superman

Garnett is still a very effective player at the age of 36 so I don't see that as an issue. Don't read what half these guys on here that can only see his age are saying about him as if he's done. The man is still putting up per36 averages of 17 and 10 with over 50% shooting and great advanced stats so if that's what Dwight has to look forward to in his 5th contract then that's even more ammo that he won't be held over the barrel on his current 3rd contract negotiations.

Garnett is still a very effective player at the age of 36 so I don't see that as an issue. Don't read what half these guys on here that can only see his age are saying about him as if he's done. The man is still putting up per36 averages of 17 and 10 with over 50% shooting and great advanced stats so if that's what Dwight has to look forward to in his 5th contract then that's even more ammo that he won't be held over the barrel on his current 3rd contract negotiations.

True Garnett's pers are there but the real telling story is his minutes per game. Starting with his 14th season, his body has only been able to give at most 31.3 MPG and his best statistical season was the 14th at 31.1 mpg, 15.8 PPG, 8.5 RPG, and 1.2 BPG. Those are solid numbers but not not deserving of a max deal at another 20 mill per season starting by any stretch...

BTW Howards 3rd deal will go to his 13th or 14th year. Not many, if any, GMs going to hand out another 100 million for Garnett type production. I could be wrong but damn...20 million starting for 16 and 9 seems like a hell of a lot of money for less or equal to Josh Smith type numbers.

Garnett's and Dwight's impact far exceeds just their numbers. They've been proven time and time again as being single handedly capable of creating a top defensive unit, something we overlook while we marvel at Josh's individual numbers. He's never once facilitated or been part of a top defensive unit until this season like those two have or been nearly as efficient offensively so they are and will be well worth their prices throughout their advanced ages because their impact is simply not comparable on and off the court.

Dwight is already on his 2nd contract and will still be 26 while negotiating his 3rd one. He'll be 30 for his 4th and 34/5 at the time of his 5th.

Needless to say, he's not even thinking about any monetary loss that's going to look like the difference of a few million at the end of his career with regards to a Bird rights extension. Heck, there's even a rumor circulating that Adidas is set to offer him a bigger contract than the 200 million they just gave Rose if he goes to New York....

Garnett's and Dwight's impact far exceeds just their numbers. They've been proven time and time again as being single handedly capable of creating a top defensive unit, something we overlook while we marvel at Josh's individual numbers. He's never once facilitated or been part of a top defensive unit until this season like those two have or been nearly as efficient offensively so they are and will be well worth their prices throughout their advanced ages because their impact is simply not comparable on and off the court.

Dwight is already on his 2nd contract and will still be 26 while negotiating his 3rd one. He'll be 30 for his 4th and 34/5 at the time of his 5th.

Needless to say, he's not even thinking about any monetary loss that's going to look like the difference of a few million at the end of his career with regards to a Bird rights extension. Heck, there's even a rumor circulating that Adidas is set to offer him a bigger contract than the 200 million they just gave Rose if he goes to New York....

Rumor rumor rumor....source source source....OK lets do some simple math here, 30 million loss is 15% of the 200 million you say Addias may be offering. What world do you live in where a 15% cut in pay is not huge?

Buzz, you've missed the entire point of the thread. 24 million is what he'd make in the final year of a 5th year contract. ~20 million would be the starting salary for him at the age of barely 30 signing a new 4 or 5 year deal. The whole point of the thread is that THERE WON'T BE A DIFFERENCE OF 30 MILLION unless we are to assume this is the last contract he'll ever sign.