• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Magic To Let Howard Decide Fate Of Van Gundy and Otis smith

Wurider05

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/219678/Magic_To_Let_Howard_Decide_Fate_Of_Van_Gundy_Smith

Is there a line that you just don't cross. allowing any player to be the coach's and gm's boss is unacceptable. This is similiar to Josh talking about he needs more help when his play is often detrimental to the teams success. These guys think that they are better than they are.

• Premium Member

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/219678/Magic_To_Let_Howard_Decide_Fate_Of_Van_Gundy_Smith

Is there a line that you just don't cross. allowing any player to be the coach's and gm's boss is unacceptable. This is similiar to Josh talking about he needs more help when his play is often detrimental to the teams success. These guys think that they are better than they are.

Apparently, the Magic have stubbornly painted themselves in the same corner with Dwight as the Hawks are approaching with Josh Smith.

http://basketball.re...Van_Gundy_Smith

That is ridiculous! Never let a player have control over the destiny of the coach/gm directly like that.

On a side note, I recall Joe & Horf saying that they needed help in the past (whether it be a true center or more talent). I think Josh said something like that recently, but I know Horf has said it multiple times and I think Joe has as well.

Apparently, the Magic have stubbornly painted themselves in the same corner with Dwight as the Hawks are approaching with Josh Smith.

I don't think we are in the same situation. Dwight is far more sought after than Josh. Josh appears to be a problem player to others (which I don't agree with). It is clear that Dwight is a franchise player, Josh is not. On top of that, Dwight has a clear plan in the off-season of signing with the Nets. That puts plenty of pressure on the team. It would hurt to lose Josh, but we still have players in Joe * Horford. Dwight leaves and they are in full blown rebuild mode.

I like Van Gundy and think he deserves much better than this. Although Dwight lived far from Ben Hill (he wouldn't be a silly spoiled brat if he did), I'm embarrassed that he spent much of his schooling there at SWCA. I expect the Sternanator to step in swiftly after this ridiculous report if it's true.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

http://basketball.re...Van_Gundy_Smith

Are you joking? How is a player getting to decide if a coach/Gm stays or go the same thing as a player asking a team to bring better players to a team so they can win a title? What planet are you from? That is nowhere near the same thing.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't think we are in the same situation. Dwight is far more sought after than Josh. Josh appears to be a problem player to others (which I don't agree with). It is clear that Dwight is a franchise player, Josh is not. On top of that, Dwight has a clear plan in the off-season of signing with the Nets. That puts plenty of pressure on the team. It would hurt to lose Josh, but we still have players in Joe * Horford. Dwight leaves and they are in full blown rebuild mode.

I didn't say the Hawks were yet, but they are clearly "approaching" it with one of their better players who has apparently (and is not denying) asked to be traded. And while Josh doesn't have the same draw as Dwight, he's still a good enough player to draw interest and a good enough player to scare away any potential trade partners by indicating he wouldn't re-sign with them.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-magic-dwight-howard-news-0314-20120313,0,1286334.story

Magic CEO: Only the DeVos family decides who manages the team

The Orlando Magic moved today to knock down an ESPN report that said team officials have promised Dwight Howard that Howard "can decide the fate of both GM Otis Smith and coach Stan Van Gundy at the end of the season if he signs an extension."

Magic officials released a statement from Chief Executive Officer Alex Martins that read: "The only person(s) who have the final say on coaches and management is the Orlando Magic ownership."

Beyond that, Martins would not comment. As he has before, Martins cited an agreement that he has made with Howard in which both parties pledged that they would not divulge the details of their conversations.

The report also said the Magic have told Howard they will add a quality player before the deadline.

Martins has taken the lead role in attempting to convince Howard to remain with the franchise, and Martins has kept in almost daily contact with Howard since Martins was promoted to the CEO's job in December.

Howard would not speak with reporters after the Magic completed their shootaround today to prepare for tonight's game against the Miami Heat.

Coach Stan Van Gundy heard about the report after the shootaround ended.

When asked about the report by the Orlando Sentinel, his comments were very similar to the comments he made after the Magic endured a particularly painful losing at the end of January. His focus, he said, is on winning, not on keeping his job.

"Look, I've said to you guys all along, and I'll just reiterate this: If they want to fire me, I don't care," Van Gundy said.

"If it's Dwight or anybody else, fire me. My brother, as I told you, had the best line on being fired anyway. It's not being fired that hurts. It's what leads up to it, and it's usually you're not getting the job done, you're losing and everything else. That's the pain. I haven't had to go through that."

Van Gundy added later: "All I care about is winning and making our team better."

Howard is under contract with the Magic through the 2012-13 season, but he can exercise an early termination option in his current deal that would allow him to become a free agent in July. He has not committed to staying with the team for the long-term, and all indications are that he wants to test free agency, where the Brooklyn-bound New Jersey Nets would be top contenders for his services.

Magic officials have said all along that they want to keep Howard for years to come, but they have said since December that they will leave their options option and have not ruled out trading Howard if they believe they have no other choice.

If the Magic do not trade Howard before Thursday's 3 p.m. NBA trade deadline, Howard could sign with another team in July. And if that happens, the Magic could be left with no assets in return, which would decimate the Magic's on-court product in the short-term.

I read it and think most of it is bogus. If Orlando gets rid of Smith and SVG, it will be because they have not won a championship with the best player on the planet. Smith first for all those dumb-*ss expensive moves. SVG next because as of late they cannot even beat us with Horford out...

I like SVG but sometimes I think he forgets Howard is down low, and it may be better to feed him than to have someone else chuck a three...

Howard won't make these decisions. Otis needed to go a year or two after trading for Lewis. And why he was allowed to trade for Arenas and dump Lewis when he was getting near expiring is beyond me. You can't fire the owner...that's right, D12 can by just going to a different team.

It wasn't dumb at the time of the trade. Orlando thought they could get Hedo of Orlando back and they thought they could get a prime J-Rich but hey, Nash made him. That's the problem with trading with teams who have elite PG's.

It wasn't dumb at the time of the trade. Orlando thought they could get Hedo of Orlando back and they thought they could get a prime J-Rich but hey, Nash made him. That's the problem with trading with teams who have elite PG's.

I am sorry but trading for Arenas and giving up anything for him was dumb. Especially after stomaching Lewis contract for so long then trading it for just as bad a player with a now worse contract. I know Otis did not think it was dumb because he made the dumb move lol

I am sorry but trading for Arenas and giving up anything for him was dumb. Especially after stomaching Lewis contract for so long then trading it for just as bad a player with a now worse contract. I know Otis did not think it was dumb because he made the dumb move lol

Have you seen Lewis in DC. It's not any better, it's worse. That deal was a wash since both players suck. Arenas is not even on Orlando anymore.

Have you seen Lewis in DC. It's not any better, it's worse. That deal was a wash since both players suck. Arenas is not even on Orlando anymore.

Duh they made Arenas a amnesty player and guess what, last I checked he was so highly sought after he is not even playing.

Do you honestly think the Magic would come out and confirm this even if it was true? Of course they are going to deny that it is true. My guess is that it is true. I live in Orlando and this town is freaking out that they will lose Howard. They just built this new arena due to Howard being here. They hosted the all star game which Howard was the center piece. So right now they are in a panic and desperation to keep Howard. Local reporters are saying that this story is more than likely true, but Magic management has to issue a statement since they would come across looking ridiculous.