• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Best and worst drafting teams of the past 20 years. The Hawks are...

Admin

I think you can argue that Bucks have consistently sucked worse the the Hawks have since 1989.............meaning their 2nd round picks get more floor time to prove themselves then do the 2nd round picks on most other teams.

If that were true then 2nd round picks that didn't pan out with the Hawks or other teams would do well with another team but most of ours aren't even in the league more than a year or two. Heck many of our 1st round picks are out of the league long before they should be. What's crazy is that the best player we've drafted in the past 30 years we traded on draft night for Shareef and I'm fairly sure we're getting credit for him on that chart.

• Moderators

If that were true then 2nd round picks that didn't pan out with the Hawks or other teams would do well with another team but most of ours aren't even in the league more than a year or two. Heck many of our 1st round picks are out of the league long before they should be.What's crazy is that the best player we've drafted in the past 30 years we traded on draft night for Shareef and I'm fairly sure we're getting credit for him on that chart.

We aren't getting credit for him on the chart. It gives credit for draft day trades to the team that the player played on so Gasol goes down as credited to the Grizzlies and Rondo goes down as a Celtic, etc.I don't remotely buy the argument that we drafted good players who just didn't get the minutes to prove themselves. Who are these hidden gems that the Hawks drafted that were blocked by superior playoff players?For example, from 1999-00 to 2007-08, we had 9 consecutive losing seasons. Here are the guys we drafted over that time and whether they were stud, useful starter, rotation player, filling space or worthless for their careers to date:Al Horford - StudAcie Law - WorthlessShelden Williams - Filling spaceSolomon Jones - Filling spaceMarvin Williams - Rotation playerSalim Stoudamire - WorthlessCenk Akyol - WorthlessJosh Smith - StudJosh Childress - Rotation playerDonta Smith - WorthlessRoyal Ivey - Filling SpaceViktor Sanikidze - WorthlessBoris Diaw - Useful starterTravis Hansen - WorthlessDavid Anderson - Filling space/WorthlessTerence Morris - WorthlessDan Dickau - WorthlessDerMarr Johnson - Filling space* (you can argue unrealized potential with the injury)Hanno Mattola - WorthlessScoonie Penn - WorthlessDion Glover - WorthlessCal Bowdler - WorthlessJason Terry - Stud/UsefulYou pick your 9 year period for the Bucks (who I agree were not the best drafting team), and we'll see whether they exceed the 9 period in which Atlanta had a losing record (and thus opportunity for new players) every season.

One point that I believe everyone is missing that is very important.When the Hawks drafted the player that they did draft, what playerdid they overlook that went on to be a star?We are all aware of our missing that PG a few years ago. That's oneand gives you a head start. Now, who are the others? To have abad draft, you either missed the player that you really needed (the PG)or the player you overlooked really went on to be a star and your man didn't.

I've seen articles on the hawks drafts before, one of the big problems we had was that we never got really high lottery picks and the hawks as a franchise has relied on veterans for a vast majority of years over the past 2 decades. this articles says more towards that absolute fail that the franchise has gotten for player development (personally i look toward the absolute waste of potential that the hawks squandered on boris diaw, salim stoudmire, donta smith, and almost jeff teague). also, the hawks have done nothing to bring over the Euro talent that the hawks got in the mid 2000s. I don't see how you allow a team in europe to spoil your potential bench players. i always thought they should have brought over Gladyr, Aknol, and the others early on and stuck them in the D-League. *i still think of boris diaw as a bum, but he could have been our bum.

They might just want to ask R.C. Buford of the Spurs. That Leonard kid can ball. Since '99, they've easily had the best combination of winning while drafting impact guys.

The Spurs just seem to know what they are doing and have an actual scouting department. This is what Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had to say:

"We get guys who want to do their job and go home and aren’t impressed with the hoopla. One of the keys is to bring in guys who have gotten over themselves. They either want to prove that they can play in this league—or they want to prove nothing. They fill their role and know the pecking order. We have three guys who are the best players, and everyone else fits around them.”

The Hawks have drafted (and kept) only two All-star players since i started following the team in the early 1980s: Kevin WIllis and Al Horford. I think that pretty much sums up how AWFUL the Hawks are at drafting. Dear ASG- hire some scouts!