• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

now you know haters

Sothron

• Premium Member

If he was capable of leading a team to a ring as a max player, he would have signed there, they would have taken him. His agent played poker with the ASG and won. There was no real max deal on the table for Joe elsewhere or we would have had our hand forced and signed and traded him. If someone believes Joe is the centerpiece of a championship, then they know something other 29 teams in the NBA do not.

So you have more intimate knowledge of the free agency of that summer than almost every NBA reporter and beat writer that said several teams were going to offer the Joe the max once they lost out on the top guys? Amazing.

• Premium Member

I don't begrudge the man for taking advantage of his Larry Bird rights thingy. I could care less about his lack of emotion.My point is why sign the contact? If he was not willing to sellout to this team why bother accepting the money? He's not being paid to put up his average then go home.

For his next act, Joe plans to actively recruit other top free agents to Atlanta, a place not unlike his hometown [Little Rock], where he feels comfortable and appreciated. LeBron, you've already met with the front offices of six teams. How about considering the Hawks?

lie

When the free-agency period kicked in, Joe made a point of talking to the Hawks first. Their owners and new coach, Larry Drew, impressed Joe with their commitment to making the team championship-caliber. In turn, Joe felt equally committed to the Hawks, his teammates and the city of Atlanta.

lie Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

So you apparently have missed every report or blurb that has said several star players have crossed the Hawks off their list of teams they want to play for due to the ownership? It is Joe's fault we couldn't sign free agents now? You guys will reach for anything. I guess next you'll tell us it is Joe's fault the economy went down and that it is Joe's fault that army guy killed 16 Afghan civilians. SMH

• Premium Member

So you apparently have missed every report or blurb that has said several star players have crossed the Hawks off their list of teams they want to play for due to the ownership?

I've never seen that.

• Premium Member

I've never seen that.

go read one of the links in that Woody in NYK thread. It is the most recent talking about several star players who won't come to Atlanta because of the ownership. That's just one source.

• Premium Member

MC did a whole article on the AJC about it.

Were these players being recruited by Joe? Players saying they don't want to come here is nothing new. The point is that our big-money player was suppose to be working on changing that perception. As far as I know Joe has done nothing but cash checks since he signed. Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

Were these players being recruited by Joe? Players saying they don't want to come here is nothing new. The point is that our big-money player was suppose to be working on changing that perception. As far as I know Joe has done nothing but cash checks since he signed.

How do you know he hasn't talked to guys about coming here? Are you just trolling at this point? There is no way in blue hell anyone here can know what Joe does in his private life.

• Premium Member

So since we don't agree I'm trolling?Joe and his agent sold ASG on Joe being more than a player and he has not delivered. He has done little to nothing to promote this team. Once Joe got paid he went back to being plain ole' Joe.He should not have accepted the deal if he wanted to be one of the guys.

• Premium Member

So since we don't agree I'm trolling?Joe and his agent sold ASG on Joe being more than a player and he has not delivered. He has done little to nothing to promote this team. Once Joe got paid he went back to being plain ole' Joe.He should not have accepted the deal if he wanted to be one of the guys.

You are talking complete nonsense ie trolling and you know it. There is no one here that knows what Joe does or does not do in his private life. You keep repeating it as some kind of fact that Joe does not promote the city or the team. You have NO WAY of knowing that.

• Premium Member

go read one of the links in that Woody in NYK thread. It is the most recent talking about several star players who won't come to Atlanta because of the ownership. That's just one source.

I read that article. It said the owners sucked and that it was ironic that Gearon got the tampering fine for LBJ because free agents didn't want to come to Atlanta anyway. It didn't say why free agents didn't want to come here. Frankly, I always thought it was because of the ultra-humiliating way we lost to Orlando, combined with the team's bloated payroll thanks to the contracts for Marvin, Josh, Al, and Joe - made it pretty unlikely the Hawks could land any of them in a S&T.

MC did a whole article on the AJC about it.

Link? Edited by niremetal

I read that article. It said the owners sucked and that it was ironic that Gearon got the tampering fine for LBJ because free agents didn't want to come to Atlanta anyway. It didn't say why free agents didn't want to come here. Frankly, I always thought it was because of the ultra-humiliating way we lost to Orlando, combined with the team's bloated payroll thanks to the contracts for Marvin, Josh, Al, and Joe - made it pretty unlikely the Hawks could land any of them in a S&T.Link?

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/363036-ajc-more-on-nba-superstars-looking-past-atlanta/page__hl__superstars__fromsearch__1

As far as the Josh-Joe argument, Josh's usage is higher and he is considerably more efficient by any statistical meausure you could find. Joe is the more fundamentally skilled player by far. Josh the more impactful player in terms of raw production by a considerable margin. They both are starting to complement each other very well, and this coming from someone who is indifferent to Josh and dislikes Joey. I know it's considered an "excuse" for this core to stay together for another, healthy Al season, but I'm starting to be a little more hopeful of better things with the three together for one last run at a Conference Final appearance (the height of my expectations with this current franchise state with the belief we could beat the Bulls in a series and New York not being able to pay everyone) Of course help at the 5 is sorely needed, but never going to be addressed, I'll never be a fan of Jefferey, and Marvin was a lost cause years ago.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member
Thanks.I wrote a reply to this and thought I hit "post," but it seems to have disappeared into the internet ether. Short version: I get that the quality of coach and personnel management matter, but I still haven't seen any report that a player turned down/didn't look at a team simply because he didn't like/believe in the owners. Just speculation by third parties that the ownership may have played a role. And not for nothing, but that article hit the quality of Atlanta fans at least as hard as the quality of the owners...

• Premium Member

Were these players being recruited by Joe? Players saying they don't want to come here is nothing new. The point is that our big-money player was suppose to be working on changing that perception. As far as I know Joe has done nothing but cash checks since he signed.

Joe can recruit all he wants. If we don't have the want to pick up anybody that Joe recruits.. then what?Right now, it seems that the only persons that ASG would spend the money for are D12, Deron, and Paul. And Deron is questionable.

Joe Hater Club still in hiding after tonight I see. Poor little guys, so stuck in their hate of their team's best player.

For the 394th time, Joe isn't the team's best player. Not statistically, not ball handling, not passing, not at all. Joe is the team's best one on one scorer. There is much more to basketball than that. Edited by thecampster

• Premium Member

For the 394th time, Joe isn't the team's best player. Not statistically, not ball handling, not passing, not at all. Joe is the team's best one on one scorer. There is much more to basketball than that.

lol your the guy who didn't even know what Joe did in the playoffs and you want to talk about stats. Quick question: whose the only player on our roster that the coaches have sent six times to the All Star game?

Ever since this debate has flared up recently, both joe and josh have responded with some big games. Even in the same game.Joe has been real clutch lately but i still dont think he's our best overall player. Its josh for me. Its been alot of fun watching both of them lately though.