• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If you won the mega-millions this weekend....would you invest in the Hawks

thecampster

How's this for a slow night topic? The lottery is $540 million. After cash payout it's going to be about $350-$365 million before taxes. Assuming the NBA would approve you as an owner. The estimated price to buy the Hawks and Phillips is around $300 million plus bank retainer. Assuming you avoid taxes through business investment having enough available, answer these questions:1. Would you buy them?2. What would be your first order of business?3. What would you not change?4. Do you think you could profit?5 What would it take to make them a champion?

No.

Guest Walter

How's this for a slow night topic? The lottery is $540 million. After cash payout it's going to be about $350-$365 million before taxes. Assuming the NBA would approve you as an owner. The estimated price to buy the Hawks and Phillips is around $300 million plus bank retainer. Assuming you avoid taxes through business investment having enough available, answer these questions:1. Would you buy them?2. What would be your first order of business?3. What would you not change?4. Do you think you could profit?5 What would it take to make them a champion?

I think this is how lottery winners go broke and end up with a lower happiness quotient than before their winning, but, I'll bite...2) My first order of business would be to improve the "long-view" of the Hawks. I would invest more into the GM, coach, and scouting. I would buy picks rather than sell them. I would currently retool and not fully rebuild this team3) I would not change "ALL" the players (retool vs rebuild)4) I would not expect to profit. That's why I would not buy this team unless my net worth was over say $1 B.5) "Championships? You want to talk about Championships?!?" Luck with this current team. Long-view thinking with better scouting able to find later rd gems (i.e. SA) and a better ownership reputation that can draw in FAs for the future. W
  • Like 1

Uhm, you'd just be another broke owner like the ASG investing all of your money into the purchase of the franchise but then not having the funds to actually run the operations of the franchise. Be an even worse situation for the rest of us fans actually, watching you literally firesale everything that's not bolted down in Phillips just to break even because with most of your wealth gone the only way the operation of the team will survive will be through revenue sharing and having an extremely low (and now even more illegal thanks to the CBA) payroll. Most NBA owners are either extremely rich through their other businesses where they can afford the loss of millions every year for an expensive toy or they make their money off their highly prized franchise like Dr. Jerry Buss and the Lakers. It's not a one shot deal.

Owning a professional team is not for pie in the sky wide eyed believers, take that money and go somewhere where basketball doesn't even matter.

• Like 1

How much would it be to buy into ASG and become a majority owner? I wouldn't want to spend every dime I have to buy them but I would buy a piece of them so I can have all kinds of perks and access to behind the scenes.

• Premium Member

I would move this team to South Ga or North Ga. Metro Atlanta doesn't deserve a sports team period.

I would move this team to South Ga or North Ga. Metro Atlanta doesn't deserve a sports team period.

Hmmm. The Macon Hawks? The Savannah Hawks? The Blue Ridge Hawks? The Valdosta Hawks? The Rome Hawks? The Commerce Hawks? The Dahlonega Hawks? The Columbus Hawks?I don't know. Those names just don't sound quite right.
  • Like 1