• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Does Josh Get Player of the Month for March tonight?

lethalweapon3

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators

Harped on this in another thread, but just added a poll pre-Bobcats game. (Should be an announcement in less than an hour from now...)http://www.nba.com/video/channels/award_nominees/2012/03/24/20120324_kia_smith_nominee.nba/(Aside #1: is there an easy way to embed videos from NBA.com? Ideally, I'd like it to play just the ONE video rather than try to loop through the entire NBA.com catalogue.)Josh is one of four players with weblinks to videos under the Kia NBA Performance Awards page (http://www.nba.com/awards/2012/) for "March Nominees" (along with Messrs. James, Howard, and Rose -- the latter of which only played 7 games last month).Given the opportunity to kiss up to LeBron tonight (aside from being first in points and steals in the East last month), I figure he'll probably get the award again. But Josh is awfully close this time around, if he doesn't win it.March 2012 stats for the likely nominees, D-Rose excluded:* LeBron James(51.1 FG%, 74.0 FT%; 24.8 PPG, 8.5 RPG, 6.1 APG, 2.3 SPG, 0.9 BPG, 3.2 TOPG; HEAT 10-6 incl. 3 games without Chris Bosh)* Dwight Howard(63.8 FG%, 47.5 FT%; 23.1 PPG, 13.1 RPG, 1.4 APG, 1.7 SPG, 1.8 BPG, 3.1 TOPG; Magic 9-7 amid trade talk hype)* Josh Smith(45.4 FG%, 72.1 FT%; 23.9 PPG, 10.1 RPG, 4.5 APG, 1.5 SPG, 1.4 BPG, 2.3 TOPG; Hawks 11-8 incl. 4 games without Joe Johnson)* Kevin Garnett(54.6 FG%, 81.6 FT%; 17.2 PPG, 8.5 RPG, 3.6 APG, 1.2 SPG, 1.1 BPG, 1.8 TOPG; Celtics 12-5 to take over first in Atlantic Division)* Carlos Boozer(55.1 FG%, 73.5 FT%; 15.7 PPG, 8.4 PPG, 2.1 APG, 1.0 SPG, 0.2 BPG, 1.8 TOPG; Bulls 13-3 incl. 9 games without Derrick Rose)I mentioned this on another thread, but since the start of the 2007-2008 season, either Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Derrick Rose, or Dwyane Wade has won player-of-the-month honors in the Eastern Conference, with two singular exceptions (Joe Johnson in March 2008; Hedo Turkoglu in April 2008). During that same span, there have been 12 winners for the monthly Western Conference honor.(Aside #2: Minnesota fans had a minor freakout when they saw Kevin Love not listed as a nominee on that Kia page, but the NBA confirms he's a nominee for tonight's unveiling during the Kia NBA Shootaround on ESPN2 at 7:30 PM EST).~lw3

• Like 1

Boston VS AtlantaNow, who do you suppose the sportswriters will vote for?Not just the Hawks, any sport you name.Falcons VS Patriots - - Braves VS Red Sox.So now we know. Pierce is superior to Josh in everything.Just ask most any sports writer not from Atlanta. (Ha - Big joke!)

http://www.nba.com/v...th_nominee.nba/(Aside #1: is there an easy way to embed videos from NBA.com? Ideally, I'd like it to play just the ONE video rather than try to loop through the entire NBA.com catalogue.)Josh is one of four players with weblinks to videos under the Kia NBA Performance Awards page (http://www.nba.com/awards/2012/) for "March Nominees" (along with Messrs. James, Howard, and Rose -- the latter of which only played 7 games last month).~lw3

http://hawksquawk.ne...-on-hawksquawk/
  • Like 1

I can understand why he would be adament about leaving the franchise. The avenues to further success are being cut off as each month passes. Being a fan of this ownership is aggravating enough but being employed by them is something else.It's not really ASG's fault to a degree as they tried to do the right thing this past summer. I can see Josh teaming up with Dwight and sticking it to the league because he definitely rubs NBA people the wrong way.

I can understand why he would be adament about leaving the franchise. The avenues to further success are being cut off as each month passes. Being a fan of this ownership is aggravating enough but being employed by them is something else.It's not really ASG's fault to a degree as they tried to do the right thing this past summer. I can see Josh teaming up with Dwight and sticking it to the league because he definitely rubs NBA people the wrong way.

Super team with Howard, whatever...I think the big three have proven there is no such thing as a guaranteed championship. On paper and in fantasy leagues everywhere Wade, Bosh, and Bron should have crushed Dirk and Dallas. But once you are in the playoffs and have a MVP type such as Kobe, Duncan, or Dirk on your team surrounded by high quality support all bets are off.

Super team with Howard, whatever...I think the big three have proven there is no such thing as a guaranteed championship. On paper and in fantasy leagues everywhere Wade, Bosh, and Bron should have crushed Dirk and Dallas. But once you are in the playoffs and have a MVP type such as Kobe, Duncan, or Dirk on your team surrounded by high quality support all bets are off.

Howard and Smith, both healthy on any team would be as close to guaranteed championship as you can get. These players are 1/2 in defensive win shares in the league. The lane would be closed down. Imagine this, a team where you never have to double team in the post. Imagine this...a team where you always have to double team them in the post. This is what you get. Can you double Howard in the left post, leaving Smith available for putbacks on the left, open for rotations, etc. Can you ever double Josh in the right post? He is free to go one on one in the near post over an over. It will be pick your poison. But on defense, you can't just back either down as the other is waiting to block your shot when you make your move. It's a matchup nightmare. Guards can't penetrate as a shot blocker is on both sides of the lane....You need 2 spot up shooters and the team is nigh unstoppable. Neither is an offensive nightmare on their respective teams as neither has a similar post companion. These 2 play opposite sides of the paint and are extremely similar.

Imagine this...a team where you always have to double team them in the post. This is what you get. Can you double Howard in the left post, leaving Smith available for putbacks on the left, open for rotations, etc. Can you ever double Josh in the right post? He is free to go one on one in the near post over an over. It will be pick your poison.

Your imagination is large because you must be watching some other player named Josh who actually gets doubled. The one I watch is left alone so they can dbl JJ at the top of the key while giving the Josh I watch the 20ft jumper all night long... Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

Josh had more points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks per game for the month that Pierce. Pierce shot just over 1 percent higher for the month.

If that is the case then I don't understand the parameters involved in voting. Do you think they take into account the teams record for that month - Hawks went 11-19, Boston when 12-17. We played 2 more games and I think we had a tougher schedule with the back-back-back and 8 games in 10 days to end the month.

He draws a double often in the post. Typically the guard at the near top or the center leaves to cover him in the post. No imagination at all.

Guard leaves JJ or Teague to cover Smoove. That is a lot of imagination.

If that is the case then I don't understand the parameters involved in voting. Do you think they take into account the teams record for that month - Hawks went 11-19, Boston when 12-17. We played 2 more games and I think we had a tougher schedule with the back-back-back and 8 games in 10 days to end the month.

Player>>>>>Josh >>>>>>PierceFG%>>>>>>45.4 >>>>>>46.0 Pierce + .6%PPG>>>>>> 23.9 >>>>>>22.3 Josh + 1.6RPG>>>>>> 10.1 >>>>>> 5.7 Josh + 4.4APG>>>>>> 4.5>>>>>>> 3.7 Josh + .8SPG>>>>>> 1.5>>>>>>> 1.2 Josh + .3BPG>>>>>> 1.4 >>>>>>> .5 Josh + .9TO/G>>>>> 2.3 >>>>>> 2.6 Josh - .3Maybe you can explain it to me. Less turnovers, more assists, more rebounds, steals, blocks and points in a condensed schedule with 2 more games meaning he maintained it over a bigger spread. This was a case of pure bias as was the all star snub.
  • Like 1

Player>>>>>Josh >>>>>>PierceFG%>>>>>>45.4 >>>>>>46.0 Pierce + .6%PPG>>>>>> 23.9 >>>>>>22.3 Josh + 1.6RPG>>>>>> 10.1 >>>>>> 5.7 Josh + 4.4APG>>>>>> 4.5>>>>>>> 3.7 Josh + .8SPG>>>>>> 1.5>>>>>>> 1.2 Josh + .3BPG>>>>>> 1.4 >>>>>>> .5 Josh + .9TO/G>>>>> 2.3 >>>>>> 2.6 Josh - .3Maybe you can explain it to me. Less turnovers, more assists, more rebounds, steals, blocks and points in a condensed schedule with 2 more games meaning he maintained it over a bigger spread. This was a case of pure bias as was the all star snub.

Plain and simple, Josh got robbed...Politics my man.

Not to say that he didn't get screwed here, but he probably should have been more professional and mature after the All-Star snub as I'm sure that response comes to mind when the decisions on things like this come up.

By this perspective, Lebron should be the player of the month then. The only stat categories that Josh did better than Lebron in March was rebounding and blocks.