• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

LOL at Joe calling out his teammates!

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

Michael Cunningham, Hawks beat

[*]This was a throwback game for the Hawks, harkening to their bygone days of ugliness. Just like old times–by which of course I mean last season–you had a lifeless loss, aggravated fans and Joe Johnson calling out teammates without naming names.

[*]“I think some of us was ready, and some of us wasn’t,” he said. “It just kind of gave a bad effect on the whole team. But give Toronto credit. They were better than us tonight. If we come out and start like that tomorrow, they’ll be better than us [again].”

[*]Not sure who Joe was talking about or if he included himself (seven points on 12 shots) among those not ready. Really, it could be anyone outside of Ivan Johnson and Josh Smith. No one else on Atlanta’s roster provided much evidence that they expected to actually have to play to beat the Raptors, who really do deserve credit for taking it to the Hawks.

[*]“Our season has been up and down but we’re not going to lay down,” James Johnson said. “We still have pride, we’re still men, and this is our job.”

[*]Larry Drew echoed Joe’s concerns while naming a name: “Early, I know Jeff Teague seemed very passive. His energy level wasn’t very good. I put [Jannero] Pargo in earlier than usual just to try to muster up some energy. Not taking anything from Toronto, I thought they played hard. We told our guys that’s not a team that has rolled over. The played extremely hard against Boston.”

[*]Joe’s gripes didn’t end with who was or wasn’t ready. Asked about the stagnant offense, he said: “It’s been like that for quite some time. I don’t feel like we take advantage of mismatches for whatever reason. It’s frustrating because of where we are at this point in the season.”

[*]That’s also the reason this is such a bad loss. It’s been a while since the Hawks turned in such a listless performance, and it would be easier to chalk it up as a bad night if the Hawks weren’t playing for home court. Then again, it’s doubtful many of the fans at the game tonight were inspired to run out and get their playoff tickets.

[*]“I don’t think this is a game you put our of your mind,” Willie Green said. “I think this is a game we need to think about. We’re supposed to be getting ready for a playoff run. It was a letdown on our part.”

[*]Actually, come to think of it, this would be a bad L even if the Hawks didn’t have something to play for. That’s always going to be the case when Ben Uzoh, Alan Anderson and Justin Dentmon outplay Teague, Joe, Kirk Hinrich and whichever-bench-guards-were-in-there.

[*]I’m not sure which was the worst sequence. Was it Josh throwing away the inbound pass just before halftime, leading to Uzoh’s score right after DeMar DeRozan had flipped in an uncontested jumper? Or maybe it was Josh taking a seat and Joe failing to check in, leaving the Hawks with four players on the floor as play started?

[*]I’m going with those two Pargo airballs in the fourth quarter because, if you can’t even count on Pargo Time, what else is there?

[*]I’m thinking Dwane Casey played a good amount of zone with the hope that the Hawks, especially Josh, would settle for Js. It worked. “You can’t win a championship with it, but it’s a good thing to have in our back pocket,” Casey said.

[*]Ivan (14 points on 9 shots, seven rebounds, three assists, three steals) was really the only guy to match Toronto’s effort and pace for the entire game. He needed help.

[*]Jason Collins started. He lasted less than six minutes. It seemed as if Drew had finally given up on playing Collins in anything but a very narrow role, but this wasn’t it.

[*]Drew says he likes to start Hinrich because he adds defensive tenacity to the lineup. It’s true that Kirk plays with spunk but he’s just not the defender he was even last season, and I’m not saying that just because he struggled with a tough matchup tonight.

[*]Green stayed behind in Atlanta as his wife prepares to have a baby.

• Premium Member

I would very interested to see this groups record for Sundays games following an off day. ...and lol at Joe acting like he was somewhere practicing floaters Saturday night.

Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 1

It's funny that it's always the same players giving it their best day in and night out. The same players are the ones who are getting called out every game for w/e reason.Anyways, just blame it on Josh.

Huh??? Since you were the only reply up til that point, who was it that was blaming Smith? No one even mentioned Smith.

I can't rag on Joe too tough because his player of the week performance was more than I could ever imagine from him this season, but he needs to learn when to speak out and when not to. Seven points off 12 shots should render you to a "no comment" after said performance.

• Like 1

Joe is a captain of the team and he doesn't need to be coming off of a good performance to criticize the team and he didn't throw anyone in particular under the bus so I have no problem with what he said and it clearly had an effect. Josh should also be allowed to say the same things as he's also a captain.

Joe is a captain of the team and he doesn't need to be coming off of a good performance to criticize the team and he didn't throw anyone in particular under the bus so I have no problem with what he said and it clearly had an effect. Josh should also be allowed to say the same things as he's also a captain.

I agree with the captain being able to speak whenever part. It's just that I can't think of Joe as a captain. Those guys usually speak the most during play development, huddles, and timeouts, not the least. Making your feelings known and well-audible should be done much more on the court than in front of recorders. Edited by benhillboy

I agree with the captain being able to speak whenever part. It's just that I can't think of Joe as a captain. Those guys usually speak the most during play development, huddles, and timeouts, not the least.

Can't disagree with you there but that's just who Joe is, unfortunately. The good news is that it seems like we usually respond well after he calls the team out like that.

I agree with the captain being able to speak whenever part. It's just that I can't think of Joe as a captain. Those guys usually speak the most during play development, huddles, and timeouts, not the least. Making your feelings known and well-audible should be done much more on the court than in front of recorders.

Who says he doesn't.........the Joe hate is ridiculous. The man is damned if he do......damned if he don't. He spoke up to coach about leaving Josh in. Teague has said Joe spoke to him about leading the offense. I see him talking to guys after the huddle getting plays straight. Just stop it.
  • Like 1