• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What the hell happened to the motion offense?

Wurider05

We started doing that ISO an dplayed right into their hands. No passing or passing when the shot clock was nearly up. Once again our coaching failed us. The offense was horrible.Another thing Marvin needs to start and Hinrich needs to go back to the bench for defensive purposes. Let Marvin and JJ guard Pierce.

• Premium Member

You'd think Woody was on the Hawks sideline.

The Paul Pierce show, that's what happened. And, Atlanta, with their vastexperience @ ISO JJ, knew our star had to match their star. He couldn't.Everyone wearing a Hawks uniform appeared to be afraid to shoot the ball.I'm not one to criticiise our coach. He's an NBA coach and I'm just me. But,that being said, here goes. Why, with the Hawks on the verge of driving thenails in the coffin, did it become necessary to remove all the starting five andshift momentum over to the Celtics, never to be seen on our side again?Hawks bench didn't. They Just didn't what, you ask. That's just it. They didn't.This was at that critical junction, late in the 3rd quarter, with the 11 point lead.Swarming defense. That's what happened. Did that cause all the hesitationto shoot the ball? Could be. We saw that it was there, just don't know why.

No PGNo superstar who makes the iso looks like a reasonable offense like D. Rose in ChicagoLow BBIQTypical Hawks.

• Moderators

Give credit to the Celtics defense in the 4th quarter.

And criticism is fair for not even seriously trying to run much other than isos. When Boston tightens the screws on defense, the only way the iso offense will work is if JJ is en fuego. I remain in the "not a fan" category of a predictable iso attack down the stretch of games.
  • Like 2

I don't understand the concept on doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. The ISO stuf will not work against the Celtics because the ball stays on one side so the Boston celtics defense can just key in on JJ. Move the effing ball from side to side, force the defenders to actually move and try to locate the ball.

Am I the only one who saw this ?

Isos were only used as a last resort.........we could not get into our motion sets b/c the refs let Boston mug us around the perimeter with no calls. They were mugging guys with the ball and without the ball.

Of course our lineup at the time was:

Teague / Hinrich / Green / JJ / Ivan.

We had no post threat at all to run sets through and no bigs to set screens. If you bring Ivan out to set screens that leaves no one in the post. We were a one dimensional team, Boston knew it and took advantage. The refs let them get away with a ton of perimeter fouls in the last 6 minutes of the games which made their defense more effective. Its amazing how good a defense can be when the refs let them mug the opponent.

That was the most physical perimeter defense that I have seen since "The Jordan Rules" when hand checks were allowed.

If you have the game on DVR....go back and watch it.

I was 4 rows from the floor, on the same side of the court as the Hawks had the ball in the 2nd half. I was right at the free throw line. My view was as good as anyones.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

And criticism is fair for not even seriously trying to run much other than isos. When Boston tightens the screws on defense, the only way the iso offense will work is if JJ is en fuego. I remain in the "not a fan" category of a predictable iso attack down the stretch of games.

Of course its fair...........its also fair to point out the obvious and go into a little more depth.I don't know what game yall were watching but we were not going into iso sets repeatedly in the 4th quarter. Boston's defense kept us out of our half court offense and with time running down on the clock any team is forced to revert to iso play as the clock is winding down......you guys are acting like iso Joe was our 1st option and that is far from the truth in this specific game. Edited by coachx

• Moderators

Of course its fair...........its also fair to point out the obvious and go into a little more depth.I don't know what game yall were watching but we were not going into iso sets repeatedly in the 4th quarter. Boston's defense kept us out of our half court offense and with time running down on the clock any team is forced to revert to iso play as the clock is winding down......you guys are acting like iso Joe was our 1st option and that is far from the truth in this specific game.

The next day I see Atlanta go iso heavy without someone absolutely on fire in the fourth quarter is likely going to be Friday.The next day I see Boston go iso heavy without someone absolutely on fire in the fourth quarter isn't going to be Friday.How can I know this? Am I from the future? In all seriousness, I see the past repeat itself too often with this team. We are too easy to disrupt and go scurrying back to the predictable and often ineffective iso game down the stretch. We usually don't have the offensive discipline to move the ball and pressure the defense when things get tight. I think that will be our best chance if we can do it, however.

The lineup of Teague, Kirk, WIllie, JJ, and Ivan was just plain stupid on LDs part.. We had no chance of getting any sort of rebounds with that. TMAC deserved more PT last game cause when he did play, he was the only player we had who would actually go to the rim and get to the line. And he was playing great defense.