• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Is it time to turn the reigns over to Jeff Teague?

Wurider05

Honestly if we make him the man would we be that much worse off? LD should just give him the green light and let him loose. We all know what we are going to get or not going to get from JJ and Josh. He appears to have that dog in him and that killer instinct.

• Premium Member

Honestly if we make him the man would we be that much worse off? LD should just give him the green light and let him loose. We all know what we are going to get or not going to get from JJ and Josh. He appears to have that dog in him and that killer instinct.

For the love of god YES!!!!!!!Posted Image

I expect to see it happen in game 3.. Especially since there is a good possibility smoove is going to be out. Teague and Joe both will have to have 25+ performances for us in that game.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I don't think it will ever be time to turn over the reigns to Jeff Teague. He just isn't good enough.He is good enough to "set free" and have him be in more of an attack mode but turning it over to him implies he would be the #1 option. He just isn't much of a creator and isn't a guy who you can have forcing shots. He should take advantage of every good opportunity, however, and hopefully will have a greater role in running the offense as he continues to develop.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't think it will ever be time to turn over the reigns to Jeff Teague. He just isn't good enough.He is good enough to "set free" and have him be in more of an attack mode but turning it over to him implies he would be the #1 option. He just isn't much of a creator and isn't a guy who you can have forcing shots. He should take advantage of every good opportunity, however, and hopefully will have a greater role in running the offense as he continues to develop.

Well, I'm not sure about making him the #1 option. I'm thinking more along the lines of letting him bring the ball up EVERY time and allowing him to push the pace consistently. He's a scoring PG, but he's also a lead guard who can distribute and make the team better. LD needs to tell his teammates that they are to IMMEDIATELY give him the ball after rebounds/inbounding and run the floor as fast as possible.

• Moderators

Well, I'm not sure about making him the #1 option. I'm thinking more along the lines of letting him bring the ball up EVERY time and allowing him to push the pace consistently. He's a scoring PG, but he's also a lead guard who can distribute and make the team better. LD needs to tell his teammates that they are to IMMEDIATELY give him the ball after rebounds/inbounding and run the floor as fast as possible.

I agree with letting him consistently bring the ball up and push the pace - especially against Boston.

Why was JJ bringing the ball up at all? He is a SG, not a PG. He is supposed to play a role of drawing players/setting up decoy shots. He isn't the playmaker, and ISo Joe no longer works.

Joe has lead the Hawks in assists per game every year he's been a Hawk until this year and lost it this year by 1 assist to Teague so he's more than qualified to bring the ball up the court and initiate the offense. Teague should be doing it but he had a pretty poor 2nd half as the Celtics really tightened the D on him.

Turn it over to him to run the offense - too many times in the 4th Q if he brings the ball up he passes to Joe then stand around. He is at his best being agressive and driving to the rim. His decision making needs to be better but that comes with time and repetititon. And our spacing on those Teague drives is atrocious most of the time, give him a chance to make a pass - that needs to be fixed.

• Premium Member

YES, absolutely, even if it makes we lose by 30 all the remaining games in this series. We have to let him grow as a player, Whenever they take the ball from his hands they're denying an opportunity for him to develop.

Edited by BrazilianHawk
  • Like 1

YES, absolutely, even if it makes we lose by 30 all the remaining games in this series. We have to let him grow as a player, Whenever they take the ball from his hands they're denying an opportunity for him to develop.

While I would admit that Jeff Teague has grown as a player by leaps and bounds from where he was last year at this time (getting few minutes)...let's be realistic.

Jeff Teague was taken at the #19 pick...he was the 7th point guard taken in the draft. Others taken before him were:

Ricky Rubio - Spain

Johnny Flynn - Syracuse

Stephen Curry - Davidson

Brandon Jennings - Italy

Jrue Holliday - UCLA

Ty Lawson - UNC

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Premium Member

Well it's not like I think he'll become steph or Rubio, but I do think he has some untapped potential yet to be developed. People complain he is afraid of crunch time, and yet they almost never give him the ball for him to show what he can do. So far, an airball and a three. People complain about Joe jacking stupid contested shots, Josh taking long jumpers at the first seconds of crucial possessions, Marv becoming invisible, etc, so what gives? What could be worse?Give Teague the ball. Let him decide what to do with it. After all, this is his job!

.....so what gives? What could be worse?

Give Teague the ball. Let him decide what to do with it. After all, this is his job!

I understand your point but let's think. Why would you just "give the ball" to a 19th pick - 7th at PG - and let him control your playoffs when you have an all-star SG who has won games for you?

You still have Kirk (who basically won game 1 with 4-4 from threes) and Pargo. Why would you simply "give it all up" to an unproven 1/2 guard?

• Premium Member

While I would admit that Jeff Teague has grown as a player by leaps and bounds from where he was last year at this time (getting few minutes)...let's be realistic.

Jeff Teague was taken at the #19 pick...he was the 7th point guard taken in the draft. Others taken before him were:

Ricky Rubio - Spain

Johnny Flynn - Syracuse

Stephen Curry - Davidson

Brandon Jennings - Italy

Jrue Holliday - UCLA

Ty Lawson - UNC

So what exactly does his draft position have to do with allowing him to grow as a point guard? He was a point guard selected in a point guard heavy draft. So what? That doesn't mean he doesn't have the tools or the ability to be just as good as the guys selected before him. In fact, I would say he does. Unlike the others though, he has to deal with other players trying to do his job and the coach allowing it to happen without any recourse.

• Premium Member

I understand your point but let's think. Why would you just "give the ball" to a 19th pick - 7th at PG - and let him control your playoffs when you have an all-star SG who has won games for you?

You still have Kirk (who basically won game 1 with 4-4 from threes) and Pargo. Why would you simply "give it all up" to an unproven 1/2 guard?

Why not? Your all star shooting guard is just that. A shooting guard not a point. Also, judging by what this young man did in the playoffs against the league MVP and the progress he's made this year basically being a rookie, I'd say he's earned the opportunity. And how many times do we have to see that when Teague is allowed to have the ball in transition, good things happen? Afterall, the Hawks have made the 17th pick in the draft, who happens to be a tweener 3/4, one of their top two options on offense. A guy who still doesn't play the game efficiently on the offensive end after eight years. Edited by Jody23

What Jeff needs to work on before "the reins" are his.Jeff needs a pull up jumper of 15-18 feet. Enough to make middle defenders have to step up into him. He can't just go to the basket every time.Jeff needs better decision making between 15 feet to the basket. Far too often Jeff just goes to the rim and tries to score forgetting he should be drawing and dishing 70% of the time. His offense at the basket is a threat, not option 1. Twice last game Jeff split the D at 20 feet, got into the middle of the lane. 1 went for a basket, 1 did not. The second was a basket if he dropped it off after Garnett challenged.Jeff needs to work on his release on his deep, midrange jumper and he should be sleeping with a Ray Allen highlight video playing on tv while he dozes. Jeff's hands flare straight out, the wrist is flat, the elbow moving forward through the release. The ball is not rotating for shooters touch or arc out of his hands due to this.Jeff needs to work on his form shooting free throws. He is too quick and direct in free throw shooting. See above. Not enough arc, touch, wrist is flat, elbow is projecting forward.If Teague improves in these 4 areas, IMO he could be a top 3 point in the league. If he doesn't, he'll be a backup in 3-5 years when the speed normalizes.
  • Like 2

ummm.... no.Jeff Teague is AT BEST middle of the pack in the rankings of the best PG's. He is below Nash, Paul, Lawson, Wall, Irving, Rondo, Williams, Westbrook, Parker, Lin, Jennings, Tyreke Evans. It's arguable if he is better than Lou Williams, Mo Williams, Calderon, Conley, Jrue Hoilday and maybe a few others.

Teague is a few years too late. Teague would have looked better 4 or 5 years ago, but the PG spot is deep now. It's a position with depth and Teague doesn't really compare to the top PG's in the league.