• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Defensive Player of the Year

Wurider05

Is it me or does Chandler has the poorest numbers for someone to ever win the award.He averaged 11 ppg 9.9 rebs 1.4 blocks .9 steals. Those numbers are kind of weak. Josh's number are better than his. I am confused as to how he won the award with weak numbers.

What were the Knicks numbers with and without him? What were his defensive win shares? I know that Josh was 1st or 2nd in defensive win shares and there are several other numbers that show we're drastically better with Josh on the court than without. I'm definitely scratching my head as to how Chandler would win this award as well.

• Admin

Josh is a good defender but he is not the best defender in the league. He is an excellent weak side defender, a decent post defender, an average/below average perimeter defender. One on one he is not a stopper. I think there are a number of players who are great defenders in the league.

Chandler actually covers for the other 4 players on the court. Honestly surprised that he didn't put his hand through glass considering that sad group of defenders he plays with.If you want the inverse then look at Marcus Camby who won a DPOY strictly off of stats even though his teams were not only awful defensively but worse with him on the court.

Edited by MaceCase

The eye test on Chandler is an A+.He is the quickest center in the game. He out hustles the opposing center whenever he is in the game. He has the quickness to switch and defend on the perimeter. His length effects more shots then his shot blocking indicates. He is both and excellent man defnder and help defender which is pretty rare for the center position.With Howard hurt...........he will be team USA starting center in the Olympics this summer.

That Dwight doesn't win every year is a travesty. 1st in defensive win shares, 1st in rebounds, 2nd in blocks, 1.5 steals a game.

Didn't Dwight miss around 15 games this year in a shortended season ? I think Chandler only missed 2 or 3 games. That is the only justification I can see for anyone not voting Howard.....well that and the drama he caused off the court this season.I do agree that Dwight "should" win DPOY ever year.........just like Michael Jordan should have won 10 MVP trophies. Edited by coachx

Josh Smith lead the league in defensive win share at 4.9.............Chandler's was 3.6.Howards defensive win share fell to 4.4 last season.........the previous 3 season he was off the charts with over a 7 defensive win share rating for 3 consecutive seasons of defensive dominance.

Didn't Dwight miss around 15 games this year in a shortended season ? I think Chandler only missed 2 or 3 games. That is the only justification I can see for anyone not voting Howard.....well that and the drama he caused off the court this season.I do agree that Dwight "should" win DPOY ever year.........just like Michael Jordan should have won 10 MVP trophies.

Dwight missed 12, Tyson missed 4 and even with missing those games D12 numbers are still better. Edited by JayBirdHawk

The fact Josh Smith finished 10th is a travesty. He should be higher then T. Allen, Marion, and Iggy at least.Smith should probably be ahead of KG .....Deng is a close call. Deng is the best wing defender in the league.....but since Deng missed a bunch of game I'd vote Smith ahead of him. Smith has not missed a game all year.http://www.nba.com/2012/news/05/02/dpoy-release/

• Moderators

It isn't a coincidence that Chandler won his first DPOY after going to New York. This is a fairly political award which is why Josh was 10th. If Josh had this season in LA or Boston or NY, he would have been at least top 3 and a likely winning candidate. To win from a team like Orlando or Atlanta, you need to be dramatically better than the competition.

It isn't a coincidence that Chandler won his first DPOY after going to New York. This is a fairly political award which is why Josh was 10th. If Josh had this season in LA or Boston or NY, he would have been at least top 3 and a likely winning candidate. To win from a team like Orlando or Atlanta, you need to be dramatically better than the competition.

I noticed Avery Bradley received 2 3rd place votes too but that must have been from the homer Boston Globe and ESPN faithful, Jackie McMullen and Bob Ryan.

I thought the same thing - it's a NY kinda thing. Chandler was probably better in Dallas last year than in NY this season.

I thought the same thing - it's a NY kinda thing. Chandler was probably better in Dallas last year than in NY this season.

Very true.............but Howards Defensive Win Share fell from 7.7 last season, down to 4 this season as well.

Excellent point.