• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Jeff Teague

Joker

• Premium Member

This is a prime example of not knowing the game of Basketball. This is like when my friends in college tried telling me Gerald Green and J.R. Smith will be the face of the NBA in five years.

Or like you wanting to draft Branden Wright over Al Horford. The fact is Teague is still a young player who finished his first season with real playing time and was productive. Does he have improvements to make? Absolutely. But, he definitely has the ability to be a very good score-first PG just based on his skillset alone. He really just needs to be more aggressive and remain in attack mode, there is not a player in the league who can stay in front of him with his quickness.

See Jrue Holiday is a true PG. He doesn't have great or very good court vision. Few NBA PG's do. He's a true PG in the mold of a C. Billups. He is smart, can run an offense but he is still improving on the game and how to use his strengths and BBIQ. Once he gets it which can take years, he will be a top tier PG for years to come.

Jeff issue is Jeff doesn't have court vision unless he's slashing and he can't run an offense. He had the same issue at Wake Forest and lost the starting PG job to Ish Smith. Now Russell Westbrook has some of the same issues. But Westbrook is an unstoppable force on offense. He can take over a game and draw the defense attention and he is a #1 option. Jeff isn't even an option. He's will always be your team's 4th or 5th best scoring option. That means his weakenesses outweigh his strengths offensively. On defense, his focus is terrible. He's no where near as good a defender as Westbrook who defensive talent, strength, and focus is superior. Jeff has talent but he is best suited as a backup PG who can play a lot of minutes. Westbrook has solid BBIQ, Teague has below average BBIQ. Jeff is in the same tier overall with D.J. Augustin, Bobby Jackson, Earl Boykins, Bob Sura, Darrell Armstrong, and Troy Hudson. To be honest, I don't think he has much potential either. I think he peaked. I think he can get more consistent given a lesser role. Maybe he could get better with an elite post player to play through like young TD, Shaq, D12.

I don't get your ppg comparison. I hope you aren't saying Teague= Kidd because that's bs I'd expect from a noob. That's like saying Alan Henderson>Tim Duncan.

Jeff will turn 24, 1 month from today. I'm sure glad I didn't peak at 24. That is one long downward slope.

Jordan had just completed his first year in the league at 24. His numbers suggest he "peaked" 4 years later. I think its a bit early to write the obituary on Jeff Teague after what would be his rookie year for most players.

• Like 1

Wait a sec, how and where am I factually wrong? I don't agree at all with what NBA is saying about Teague.My comment was about the troll thing and you may not like me defending people against being called trolls but it is what it is and whether I or anyone else agrees with other people does not give anyone the right to call them trolls as long as they are productive members of the site. To me a troll is someone who is on here to do nothing but cause trouble and piss people off and while NBA may have unpopular opinions he's not saying the things he says just to piss anyone off, he's saying it because he honestly believes what he's saying.The bottom line is that by and large this is a pretty good community and I'm sorry that you feel like we're overrun with trolls or with bad posters but I really don't feel that is the case. I know you've been around a long time and can remember when the place was far worse so I'd urge you to go back and think of those times and compare them to now and reassess your opinion.

Troll is as troll does Dolfan.

My biggest issue with Jeffrey has much to do with the talent pool that he exists in. In today's NBA you can barely name a team without a nice young PG that shows flashes of greatness. It's just the nature of the game now, the elimination of handchecking makes any waterbug guard look good but when you step back and grade them in context...well then you start to establish some hierarchy and simply put, Jeffrey doesn't really separate himself from the field.

Sure for this fanbase we'll slobber over him but that's more to do with who came before him rather than what he actually does. If you go to the stats you'll say well he shoots well but if you watch him you know he's very selective with his jumper. Reluctantly takes it, can't create a shot off the dribble if he does it isn't accurate.

The stats say his strength lies in driving to the hoop but then when you watch you see that he's not particulary good at finishing in traffic at all meaning that a majority of his good looks there come off transition.

The stats will say he's a decent passer but when you watch him you'll know what Superstar is talking about.....just without all the hyperbole. He's terrible in pick and roll, sure he can score for himself but if you are the big you might as well put your hands in your pocket because he either won't look to pass or just can't hit you on a roll. His passing consists of line drives to the hoop and a dump off to the big in the paint or kickout to a 3 shooter be it in he halfcourt or transition. There isn't a consistent "in-between" game for him.

All in all he's good enough and a fine complimentary piece but he's never likely to become that true number 1 scoring or facilitating option that some are labeling him having the potential to be because he really hasn't shown much of anything that separates him from the middle tier of PGs that populate the league.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

There's just too much undue criticism on Teague...

Check the stats...

Jeff Teague

Atlanta

Position: Guard

Height: 6-2 Weight: 181

Prior to NBA / Country:

Wake Forest / USA

Player file | Team stats 2012 Playoffs Statistics PPG 15.8 RPG 3.6 APG 3.8 SPG 0.8 BPG 1.0 FG% 0.438 FT% 0.895 3P% 0.400 MPG 38.4

Teague has picked up his game for the playoffs. Sure, we'd like more Assists.. but that's not him.

He's a guy who can score and can help stretch defenses.

There's just too much undue criticism on Teague...

Check the stats...

Jeff Teague

Atlanta

Position: Guard

Height: 6-2 Weight: 181

Prior to NBA / Country:

Wake Forest / USA

Player file | Team stats 2012 Playoffs Statistics PPG 15.8 RPG 3.6 APG 3.8 SPG 0.8 BPG 1.0 FG% 0.438 FT% 0.895 3P% 0.400 MPG 38.4

Teague has picked up his game for the playoffs. Sure, we'd like more Assists.. but that's not him.

He's a guy who can score and can help stretch defenses.

Spot on Diesel, almost 16ppg in the playoffs is a decent deal for someone who just now put in a whole season as a starter. A scoring PG is exactly what we need and Teague has been our most consistent player in this series. Period end of story

My biggest issue with Jeffrey has much to do with the talent pool that he exists in. In today's NBA you can barely name a team without a nice young PG that shows flashes of greatness. It's just the nature of the game now, the elimination of handchecking makes any waterbug guard look good but when you step back and grade them in context...well then you start to establish some hierarchy and simply put, Jeffrey doesn't really separate himself from the field.

Sure for this fanbase we'll slobber over him but that's more to do with who came before him rather than what he actually does. If you go to the stats you'll say well he shoots well but if you watch him you know he's very selective with his jumper. Reluctantly takes it, can't create a shot off the dribble if he does it isn't accurate.

The stats say his strength lies in driving to the hoop but then when you watch you see that he's not particulary good at finishing in traffic at all meaning that a majority of his good looks there come off transition.

The stats will say he's a decent passer but when you watch him you'll know what Superstar is talking about.....just without all the hyperbole. He's terrible in pick and roll, sure he can score for himself but if you are the big you might as well put your hands in your pocket because he either won't look to pass or just can't hit you on a roll. His passing consists of line drives to the hoop and a dump off to the big in the paint or kickout to a 3 shooter be it in he halfcourt or transition. There isn't a consistent "in-between" game for him.

All in all he's good enough and a fine complimentary piece but he's never likely to become that true number 1 scoring or facilitating option that some are labeling him having the potential to be because he really hasn't shown much of anything that separates him from the middle tier of PGs that populate the league.

Thank you but a lot of these guys don't understand or want to understand. It's not like I think Jeff is useless. He's a heck of a piece off the bench but he's nothing special and he most definetly is a nuisance as a starting PG due to his weakenesses and the need we have for what Jeff can't provide. I think these guys think I feel Jeff is a terrible player. He's not, he's a talented player but is a terrible PG. He is more really a SG who's too small and not a good enough scorer to play the position for more than spot minutes. I like combo PG's but they better score like Westbrook or Rose or have extreme offensive talent like Wall or Jennnings or my patience for them runs really thin.

He really hasn't shown he is in the middle tier. Most middle tier PG's aren't that talented but they are smart and know how to run an offense even if they lack next level court vision or talent to become elite. Jeff while he is more talented than some middle tier guys, they have a lot more PG skills and are more effective players.

People think I hate Jeff but it's nothing hateful, he just isn't a starting PG that's effective. I could care less what stats say. Stat-wise Josh was our best player v. Bostton in Game 5. Watch the game and you would be in complete indifference.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Or like you wanting to draft Branden Wright over Al Horford. The fact is Teague is still a young player who finished his first season with real playing time and was productive. Does he have improvements to make? Absolutely. But, he definitely has the ability to be a very good score-first PG just based on his skillset alone. He really just needs to be more aggressive and remain in attack mode, there is not a player in the league who can stay in front of him with his quickness.

Or like I wanted Deron and CP3 over Marvin or passing on Shelden at ALL cost.I still stand by what I said on B. Wright. His numbers and style fit what needed and I was spot on with Horford. The thing is, Horford is even more skilled than I assumed he would be.He is not a very good score first combo guard. He is a solid one. Bibby in Atlanta was also a solid one. He is not an aggressive player. He is like Marvin and Josh Childress, he plays within his comfort zone. Very good scoring combo PG is Brandon Jennings and John Wall, they are superior scoring combo PG's to Teague. To say otherwise is being a flat out homer.Most PG's can't guard most PG's. They are neither too quick, too strong, too something for the other. What makes a PG a great defender is how he handles PnR, screens, off ball defense, defense in passing lanes, team defense, and communication which is Josh's responsibilty on our defense.

Jeff will turn 24, 1 month from today. I'm sure glad I didn't peak at 24. That is one long downward slope.Jordan had just completed his first year in the league at 24. His numbers suggest he "peaked" 4 years later. I think its a bit early to write the obituary on Jeff Teague after what would be his rookie year for most players.

Marvin is 25.

Thank you but a lot of these guys don't understand or want to understand. It's not like I think Jeff is useless. He's a heck of a piece off the bench but he's nothing special and he most definetly is a nuisance as a starting PG due to his weakenesses and the need we have for what Jeff can't provide. I think these guys think I feel Jeff is a terrible player. He's not, he's a talented player but is a terrible PG. He is more really a SG who's too small and not a good enough scorer to play the position for more than spot minutes. I like combo PG's but they better score like Westbrook or Rose or have extreme offensive talent like Wall or Jennnings or my patience for them runs really thin.

He really hasn't shown he is in the middle tier. Most middle tier PG's aren't that talented but they are smart and know how to run an offense even if they lack next level court vision or talent to become elite. Jeff while he is more talented than some middle tier guys, they have a lot more PG skills and are more effective players.

People think I hate Jeff but it's nothing hateful, he just isn't a starting PG that's effective. I could care less what stats say. Stat-wise Josh was our best player v. Bostton in Game 5. Watch the game and you would be in complete indifference.

You have called him the "dumbest" and "stupid". We ALL see and know his flaws, his strengths and weakness. He has played meaningful minutes (he averaged 10 and 13 minutes his 1st 2 years) for the first time in his career and has been decent.There is absolutely no reason to think he cannot improve, he is a work in progress.

No one knew what Chauncey Billups was when he got traded 4/5 times before settling in Detroit.

Steve Nash of now was not the guy we saw his 1st 3 years in the league, same with Tony Parker even Rondo wasn't averaging double digit assists his 1st 3 years. All these guys were playing double, maybe triple the minutes that Teague did in his first 2 years.

You keep trying to compare this version of Teague to guys who have been in the League for double the years and longer. Compare him to his present day counterparts and see the possiblity of where he can get to. It is too early to determine that this is all he will be.

You get better by being on the floor and playing actual games. This offseason will be big for Teague after having no camp this season.

You have called him the "dumbest" and "stupid". We ALL see and know his flaws, his strengths and weakness. He has played meaningful minutes (he averaged 10 and 13 minutes his 1st 2 years) for the first time in his career and has been decent.There is absolutely no reason to think he cannot improve, he is a work in progress.

No one knew what Chauncey Billups was when he got traded 4/5 times before settling in Detroit.

Steve Nash of now was not the guy we saw his 1st 3 years in the league, same with Tony Parker even Rondo wasn't averaging double digit assists his 1st 3 years. All these guys were playing double, maybe triple the minutes that Teague did in his first 2 years.

You keep trying to compare this version of Teague to guys who have been in the League for double the years and longer. Compare him to his present day counterparts and see the possiblity of where he can get to. It is too early to determine that this is all he will be.

You get better by being on the floor and playing actual games. This offseason will be big for Teague after having no camp this season.

Comparing Billups to Teague is silly. Billups is a scoring true PG who had to learn how to use his strengths to be successful. He has high BBIQ but he had to learn the NBA to get to that next level. Jrue Holiday is an example of Billups. Teague is an example of Bobby Jackson. Not a PG. Combo guard. Solid scorers, not good, very good, or elite scorers. They have talent. They aren't the most smart PG's. They are too small to play their true position which is SG.

Rondo had better PG skills at his Louisville HS team before transferring to Oak Hill than Teague does at 23. No comparison.

Bobby Jackson put up solid numbers. No one in the NBA currently plays or has the skill-set of Teague.

Nash had the same issues as Conley, Billups, and guys before them. For a true PG, especially before the handchecking rules, it took a lot more time to get used to the NBA game as a PG.

TP had better PG skills than Teague at 20 than he does now as well as had Duncan to play through which gave him a chance to progress extremely high. Not many teams are doing what the Squrs do. Taking late 1st's and 2nd rounders and turning them into HOF's. They have the culture to nurture that talent. Atlanta can't even get Marvin, Joe, or Al to reach 1/10 of their potential. But you have hope Teague will?

I am no comparing them, you were trying to compare them.All I'm saying is that who they are now, it wasn't who they were when they first entered the league. Like you said it took them sometime to get used to the NBA game. Same way Billups had to learn the NBA why does it not apply to Teague?Teague may never be a great true PG or scoring PG, but he is still learning the game so there is no telling what he will become.

I am no comparing them, you were trying to compare them.All I'm saying is that who they are now, it wasn't who they were when they first entered the league. Like you said it took them sometime to get used to the NBA game.Same way Billups had to learn the NBA why does it not apply to Teague?Teague may never be a great true PG or scoring PG, but he is still learning the game so there is no telling what he will become.

You used him as an example, that's a comparison.I could use Caron Butler as an example for Marvin, that wouldn't be accurate now would it?I agree but not everyone has that potential either. DeShawn Stevenson could only get so good as a NBA player. I expect Jeff to improve but his improvement will be from a consistency standpoint. He is what he is in this system.Billups and Jeff do not have the same skill-set. Billups uses his brain and size. It takes years to learn how to use it correctly with the size and speed of NBA defenders. Jeff uses his athletic tools majority of the time. That takes less time to use in the NBA than mental tools. Which is where I disagree with you using Billups as an example. I understand you want the best for Jeff but he is who he is. Being blind to the fact will only make you see reality later instead of sooner. This is where the front office nears their bucks.It's a fact he will never be great at either one. He doesn't have the tools to be great at scoring or the mentality and he doesn't have the mental tools or BBIQ to even be a true PG.He is still learning the game. That part is true but the game is learning him as well.

You were the one that mentioned Billups first in your earlier post that is why I said you are comparing the Billups of now to the Teague of now and that is not a fair comparison. If YOU were mentioning Billups then compare them at similar points in their careers, that is what I mean.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

You were the one that mentioned Billups first in your earlier post that is why I said you are comparing the Billups of now to the Teague of now and that is not a fair comparison. If YOU were mentioning Billups then compare them at similar points in their careers, that is what I mean.

I don't recall, in what type of text was it? If you can, can you find where I mentioned him at? I really don't recall saying that in that reference, I fact I know I didn't from a comparison standpoint.

I don't recall, in what type of text was it? If you can, can you find where I mentioned him at? I really don't recall saying that in that reference, I fact I know I didn't from a comparison standpoint.

NO - I'm tired of this thread, we will never agree. Moving on.

• Premium Member

Teague is not a good PG. Teague is a combo-guard playing PG. To me a PG should have the ability to make others around him better. That's not Teague. Now some have suggested that is the result of the motion offense but IDK. He just doesn't do anything a true PG does well. He can get to the rim and hit the occasional three and that's good for now but he has a long way to go before I can consider him anything special.

• Moderators

I think you compared them here:

combo's guards or backup PG's better than Teague:

Dragic

George Hill

Braea

Mayo

Mo Williams

Billups

T. Evans

I think you compared them here:

I said Billups is better than Teague right now. That's not a career comparison by any stretch. That's like saying Lebron is better than Marvin and you want to say Marvin can grow into Lebron five pages later in a thread.