• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Head Coaching candidates

coachx

Would you take D'Antoni if you knew Steve Nash would come with him?We probably wouldn't win a title, but at least we'd be more fun.

Yes if they came as a pair I'd give them 2 years to win us a championship and hope that we're good enough this year to get Josh to sign a new contract with us or trade him for an equal talent.

• Premium Member

Yes if they came as a pair I'd give them 2 years to win us a championship and hope that we're good enough this year to get Josh to sign a new contract with us or trade him for an equal talent.

What.. Did you see D'antoni with NY? Woody was far better. NY played NO DEFENSE and they had Chandler.BUT.....I would like to see this as a running team... so i'd do it especially with 2 years of Nash.

What.. Did you see D'antoni with NY? Woody was far better. NY played NO DEFENSE and they had Chandler.BUT.....I would like to see this as a running team... so i'd do it especially with 2 years of Nash.

Trust me he wouldn't be my first choice, but if I had to take D'Antoni for 2 years to get 2 years of Nash and not blow this team apart then I'd be willing to do it. I just don't see any other way that Nash signs with his for the MLE unless we have his coach.

Woody is better than most coaches in the NBA.

• Moderators

Woody is better than most coaches in the NBA.

I know you like Woody but i don't see where there is anything to back up that statement. He had some good records the last couple years here but every single one of his teams got blown off the court in their playoff exits. That didn't happen when he left. He may be better but so far there isn't any proof of that.

• Premium Member

In 17 years, Fratello's teams have had a .600 or better winning percentage 4 times and 3 of those were the Nique led Hawks and his average winning percentage is .549.

In the playoffs he is 20-42 for a .323 winning percentage, even with the great Nique led Hawks teams. His very best playoff performance saw the 88 Hawks go 6-6 in the playoffs.

In 2 playoff years with the Hawks LD has gone 8-10 for a .444 winning percentage. His very best playoff performance saw the 10-11 Hawks go 6-6 in the playoffs.

In 3 playoff years with the Hawks Woody went 11-18 for a .379 winning percentage. His very best playoff performance saw the 09-10 Hawks go 4-7 in the playoffs.

You can not seriously be equating the 80's eastern conference to the joke we have now in today's NBA. Fratello's Hawks were a very good team in an era when you had very good to great in top five or six positions every year in the East.

• Moderators

Trust me he wouldn't be my first choice, but if I had to take D'Antoni for 2 years to get 2 years of Nash and not blow this team apart then I'd be willing to do it. I just don't see any other way that Nash signs with his for the MLE unless we have his coach.

That is also my view.

You can not seriously be equating the 80's eastern conference to the joke we have now in today's NBA. Fratello's Hawks were a very good team in an era when you had very good to great in top five or six positions every year in the East.

Fratellos Hawks vastly underachieved for the talent level they had and the best season they ever had was blowing a 3-2 series lead in the 2nd round to the Celtics. All I'm saying is that Fratello is an awful big game coach and he's proven it multiple times.

• Premium Member

Fratellos Hawks vastly underachieved for the talent level they had and the best season they ever had was blowing a 3-2 series lead in the 2nd round to the Celtics. All I'm saying is that Fratello is an awful big game coach and he's proven it multiple times.

I categorically disagree with everything in this statement. His Hawks teams were good but not great in an era where only great would get you to the Finals. Those Hawks teams had one HoF player with several good but not great players around Nique. They were going up against teams stacked so badly that the Heat look like chump change in comparison. It isn't Fratello's fault they got Moses on the decline or Kevin Willis was never HoF material going up against stacked multiple HoF player teams.

I categorically disagree with everything in this statement. His Hawks teams were good but not great in an era where only great would get you to the Finals. Those Hawks teams had one HoF player with several good but not great players around Nique. They were going up against teams stacked so badly that the Heat look like chump change in comparison. It isn't Fratello's fault they got Moses on the decline or Kevin Willis was never HoF material going up against stacked multiple HoF player teams.

So if they were so outmatched how did they go up 3-2 on the mighty Celtics?And sorry but they definitely had enough talent to beat anyone and I've heard both Nique and Fratello say it.

• Premium Member

So losing to Larry Legend and the Celtics in their prime is underacheiving? Hmm??

• Premium Member

So if they were so outmatched how did they go up 3-2 on the mighty Celtics?And sorry but they definitely had enough talent to beat anyone and I've heard both Nique and Fratello say it.

They were outmatched but played better in three games but not enough for four wins. Easy enough. They did not have the talent to win in a seven game series against Boston or Detroit in the late 80's.

They were outmatched but played better in three games but not enough for four wins. Easy enough. They did not have the talent to win in a seven game series against Boston or Detroit in the late 80's.

Nique and Fratello both disagree and say they should have beaten them.

So losing to Larry Legend and the Celtics in their prime is underacheiving? Hmm??

Never advancing past the 2nd round with their talent was underachieving yes.

• Premium Member

Nique and Fratello both disagree and say they should have beaten them.

That's nice of them to think that but the reality is that team had one HoF going up against teams with multiple HoF players. The Hawks were exactly what they were: a good at times very good team that couldn't beat a great team in a seven game series. It really is that simple. No one can seriously think from a talent stand point those Hawks teams were on the same level as those Boston teams, the Sixer teams in the early to mid 80's or the Piston team in the late 80's. There is no way those Hawks teams could have beat those stacked teams with the talent they had.

Here is my take:Give Nique the duo of McHale ( 33 pts / 13 rbs / 4 blks) and Parrish (14 pts / 5 rbs / 1 blk) in Game 7 of 1988.Give Bird the duo of Willis (10 pts / 11 rbs / 2 blks) and a washed up Tree Rollins (4 pts / 2 rbs / 0 blks / 5 fouls) in Game 7 of 1988.Game 7 Boxcore: http://www.nba.com/c...2288_ATLBOS.pdfKC Jones did not win that series just like Mike Fratello did not lose that series. The team with the better roster won the series.Larry Bird won that series with a his 20 point clutch 4th quarter in Game 7.Now this is something I have alwayse wondered:Bird made players around him better. If Bird had Kevin Willis would he have made Willis a better player ? If Nique had McHale would McHale have been as great as he was with Bird ?

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Here is my take:Give Nique the duo of McHale ( 33 pts / 13 rbs / 4 blks) and Parrish (14 pts / 5 rbs / 1 blk) in Game 7 of 1988.Give Bird the duo of Willis (10 pts / 11 rbs / 2 blks) and a washed up Tree Rollins (4 pts / 2 rbs / 0 blks / 5 fouls) in Game 7 of 1988.Game 7 Boxcore: http://www.nba.com/c...2288_ATLBOS.pdfKC Jones did not win that series just like Mike Fratello did not lose that series. The team with the better roster won the series.

Thank you. I find it unreal to blame Fratello for losing to a team with multiple HoFers with a roster that had one HoF player and a massive talent gap between the two teams.

• Premium Member

Nique and Fratello both disagree and say they should have beaten them.Never advancing past the 2nd round with their talent was underachieving yes.

I guess Barkley, Malone, Stockton and Ewing were underachievers too. ?Some guys never get as far as their talent suggests because of the road ahead of them. I think you can't ignore the road when you're looking at the talent. Calling out Nique and company for not beating Larry Legend is ridiculous. Now maybe in other years.. true.. but not in that year.By that same token, I don't consider Sloan a mediocre coach because Utah never won a championship. I don't consider Lebron less than a superstar because he hasn't won and may never win a championship. You got to consider the road.

That's great that y'alls reality is different than that if the star player and head coach. Make all the excuses you want, a 30% playoff wining percentage is mediocre and that's being generous. And no Jerry Sloan wasn't mediocre as he had a nearly 50% winning percentage in the playoffs and that's even losing twice in the finals to the best teams of the modern era.

I don't think John Stockton would have been a Hall of Famer with the Hawks. They don't have tools needed around Stockton to be a great PG. Stock wasn't CP3, he couldn't create his own offense like that. Sometimes the personnel has more to do with your potential than your actual talent.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

I don't think John Stockton would have been a Hall of Famer with the Hawks. They don't have tools needed around Stockton to be a great PG. Stock wasn't CP3, he couldn't create his own offense like that. Sometimes the personnel has more to do with your potential than your actual talent.

Disagree strongly.Stockton would make Al Horford resemble Karl Malone with the pick and roll and he would have Smoove feasting on the fast break. He is one of the few players who would get the most out of Smith by giving him the ball when its efficient for him to score. He found plenty of open looks for Jeff Hornaceck too......so JJ would get quality touches.