• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Head Coaching candidates

coachx

Disagree strongly.Stockton would make Al Horford resemble Karl Malone with the pick and roll and he would have Smoove feasting on the fast break. He is one of the few players who would get the most out of Smith by giving him the ball when its efficient for him to score. He found plenty of open looks for Jeff Hornaceck too......so JJ would get quality touches.

Not this team. I am talking about Deke and Steve Smith Hawks. This team, of course but I was saying in that time period. Edited by nbasuperstar40

Not this team. I am talking about Deke and Steve Smith Hawks. This team, of course but I was saying in that time period.

Stockton's career was so long its hard to pick which 5 year time period you were refering to. I did not think you would be refering to his mid 30's years. Heck most of Stockton's career was over for the Smitty / Mutumbo years. He was in his prime for Nique's Atlanta years too.It would have been interesting to see Stockton in that '88 series with Nique and Willis......granted Doc Rivers played a brilliant Game 7. It would have been nice to see Stockton with Nique and Moses in 89 and 90. Moses Malone was still an allstar center getting you 20 / 12 in year 1 and 19 / 10 in year 2 with Atlanta.It would have been interesting to see what Stockton could have gotten out of Christian Laetenner, Alan Henderson, and Grant Long. All 3 were very talented PFs, during the Mookie / Smith / Mutumbo years, who's games fit the pick and roll. Edited by coachx

I don't think John Stockton would have been a Hall of Famer with the Hawks. They don't have tools needed around Stockton to be a great PG. Stock wasn't CP3, he couldn't create his own offense like that. Sometimes the personnel has more to do with your potential than your actual talent.

post-5-0-69983400-1336573947_thumb.gif

Dude Stockton could break down anyone off the dribble, altough it wasn't with blazing quickness or ridiculous crossovers, but he knew how to use picks and he knew how to take his man off the dribble when he needed to and finished surprisingly well around the rim considering he couldn't dunk and didn't have a whole lot of lift.

This is an awesome highligh video of his career, but specifically look at the 1st 2 plays and tell me that's not a guy who could take his man off the dribble with ease.

Edit - check out at 1:15 when he breaks MJ down off the dribble for a layup with needing a pick.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=myMvojT6zIc

Stockton's career was so long its hard to pick which 5 year time period you were refering to. I did not think you would be refering to his mid 30's years. Heck most of Stockton's career was over for the Smitty / Mutumbo years. He was in his prime for Nique's Atlanta years too.It would have been interesting to see Stockton in that '88 series with Nique and Willis......granted Doc Rivers played a brilliant Game 7. It would have been nice to see Stockton with Nique and Moses in 89 and 90. Moses Malone was still an allstar center getting you 20 / 12 in year 1 and 19 / 10 in year 2 with Atlanta.It would have been interesting to see what Stockton could have gotten out of Christian Laetenner, Alan Henderson, and Grant Long. All 3 were very talented PFs, during the Mookie / Smith / Mutumbo years, who's games fit the pick and roll.

None of those PF's were movement players nor was Deke. I don't even see him reaching his potential with Nique either. He really needed that PnR PF with his lack of athletic ability and the fact that he didn't have a reliable jumper till his 5th season. Doc would have started at the time. Edited by nbasuperstar40

Dude Stockton could break down anyone off the dribble, altough it wasn't with blazing quickness or ridiculous crossovers, but he knew how to use picks and he knew how to take his man off the dribble when he needed to and finished surprisingly well around the rim considering he couldn't dunk and didn't have a whole lot of lift.This is an awesome highligh video of his career, but specifically look at the 1st 2 plays and tell me that's not a guy who could take his man off the dribble with ease.Edit - check out at 1:15 when he breaks MJ down off the dribble for a layup with needing a pick.http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=myMvojT6zIc

Stockton was the master of what I call "lag burst" when coaching. You use picks, spacing pulling your man through and then when the opposing player settles on your pace and pop a gear for a short burst to get position on him with your dribble. Stockton was the best I've seen at this. It made the pick n roll deadly as you had to account for him off the dribble.

Dude Stockton could break down anyone off the dribble, altough it wasn't with blazing quickness or ridiculous crossovers, but he knew how to use picks and he knew how to take his man off the dribble when he needed to and finished surprisingly well around the rim considering he couldn't dunk and didn't have a whole lot of lift.This is an awesome highligh video of his career, but specifically look at the 1st 2 plays and tell me that's not a guy who could take his man off the dribble with ease.Edit - check out at 1:15 when he breaks MJ down off the dribble for a layup with needing a pick.http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=myMvojT6zIc

He used picks well but if you don't have an elite PnR guy, sometimes the defense will just sit on the screen. With him and Malone you could never do that. I have my doubts. He wasn't breaking most down with his dribble. He used screens and seen two moves in advance which is the true sign of an elite true PG. Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, also have this trait. In all fairness, I seen Mike Bibby get to the paint off the dribble, it rarely happened but it happened. Just saying. No, he's not a guy who can take his man off dribble with ease. I used John as one of the players I modeled my game after as well. So even in an era where PG's weren't as quick as today's NBA. Stockton wasn't beating guys with the dribble drive.John greatly improved from the time he was drafted but he had the right personnel around him. He could have easily underachieved. He's not Derrick Rose or Shaq who would shine anywhere. He lacked shooting ability for his first three years, he wasn't quick, he wasn't big, he wasn't a specimen by any stretch. I am not saying he wouldn't be a good player but he could easily be Andre Miller as well. Edited by nbasuperstar40

Stockton was the master of what I call "lag burst" when coaching. You use picks, spacing pulling your man through and then when the opposing player settles on your pace and pop a gear for a short burst to get position on him with your dribble. Stockton was the best I've seen at this. It made the pick n roll deadly as you had to account for him off the dribble.

He really created what many like CP3 used today so well with the PnR. John had to adjust with the PnR. He had to because defenses started reading him and Malone in the playoffs. Once he adjusted him and Malone was truly unstoppable. One of the greatest traits John had was his ability to adjust. To be honest, that's Joe Johnson biggest issue is his ability to adjust. More so than his lack of quickness or his low decision making skills when pressured.