• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Seem like Hawks fans still don't know what hawks Need

Diesel

• Premium Member

What do we need?It's not rhetorical, go ahead and answer in this thread.My two cents is this...I think we can do anything if we get somebody who can score consistently in the low post and rebound.Our low post scoring and reboounding is horrible.

• Like 1

What do we need?It's not rhetorical, go ahead and answer in this thread.My two cents is this...I think we can do anything if we get somebody who can score consistently in the low post and rebound.Our low post scoring and reboounding is horrible.

We need some guys that can get to the foul line and post scoring and rebounding. Far too many times this team settles for jumpers.... It's always going to be that way when you have Joe/Josh/Al all settling for those type of shots too often. That's one of the biggest reasons I dislike someone like Joe being the main option... If his jumper is off, he has to score with lots of shots he will be be totally shut down.

We have an all star and a wanna be all star + an injured all star returning

and we can't win. We wuz robbed. All Hawk fans will agree with that.

Yet, we have no young big.

We finally let the old man out of the dog house and he showed us how

much better we could be with a young man to fill in where he was. He

hadn't played and was in terrible basketball shape, yet look how he showed

us what we ought to have.

Ivan had done an excellent job for us. Yet, he ended up in the dog house.

That's a guess, but why else did he never see the floor? He's a banger and

we needed a banger. Go figure.

So many things went wrong. Yet, we were so close. Too many things to overcome.

We cried for years for a center and a PG. Finally, a PG emerges. Where is that

huge, rebounding, hot shooting center we need??

• Premium Member

I agree with Diesel and Hots. The Hawks need a big who has legit size so that they can maximize the size of the entire front line. This is why I was a proponent of trading Josh for Lopez. Lopez may not be a great rebounder, but he's a seven footer who can score in the post. You put gim alongside Horford and teams will have a hard time keeping them off the boards. Also, guards who may be tempted to drive the ball will tgink twice when they see that size back there.

Lopez settles for jumpers too much as well. There aren't that many low post scorers in today's NBA.

His rebounding is the most damning part of his game.

The low post players in today's NBA is a slim list.Z-BoGasol brothersDuncanJefferson but he has very low BBIQ.BynumD12CousinsI might be forgetting someone or two but that's about it. Mostly everyone else scores junk points or are finesse players.

True, Lopez may not that great of a rebounder. But, he's not 6'8 and he can score on the low block and I think he would work really well with Horf.

I honestly don't like his injury which is the worse for big man as well. Foot injury. Too many bigs careers have been cut short to foot injuries. I would prefer to just move Josh for a draft pick and cap space.This draft really isn't that great outside of #1 but it's deep.

The team needs a defensive bigman more than it needs a low post scoring threat at the power positions. What it needs most is scorers that can do so consistently and efficiently, i.e. guys that can penetrate and get to the free throw line rather than guys who need 20 shots to get you 18 points if that.

OKC is a contender without a single guy that can score in the post, Chicago constantly subs Boozer out in favor of the defensive trio of Noah, Taj and Asik, Boston just knocked us out with Garnett hitting 20 footers, Philadelphia has Brand but he's always been a jumpshooter as well, Denver took the Lakers to 7 utilizing bigs that can only score through energy and hustle. You can get it done in the league without a guy you can throw the ball down into because overall all you need is a guy or guys that get you easy points.

• Like 1

We need a #1 option or a true PG. I hate to say this but if we miss on Mayo, Nash, or Deron, what about Beasley. I am not high on Beasley but he has #1 option scoring abilities but his mind isn't there as well has he is an inefficient player.

We need a #1 option or a true PG. I hate to say this but if we miss on Mayo, Nash, or Deron, what about Beasley. I am not high on Beasley but he has #1 option scoring abilities but his mind isn't there as well has he is an inefficient player.

Agreed. Teague is not gonna cut it starting. He can be a fundamental sixth man though. We need Nash or at least Andre Miller.

• Premium Member

Lopez settles for jumpers too much as well. There aren't that many low post scorers in today's NBA.

I agree, outside of Howard, Bynum, and Gasol there are not to many good low post power players.

• Premium Member

Actually I don't think its low post scoring we need. We do need more rebounding from the front line but i think we need a scorer / defender on the wing that can knock down shots consistently or drive the ball to the hole and get to the free throw line to take the pressure off of joe and make room for teague to drive to the hole. Make teams pay for double teaming Joe. Marvin's role is this but he can't consistently do it. So find us a starter who can.

Edited by turnermx
  • Like 1

Joe can't handle double teams to well. We need a legit true PG or #1 option. I wish we could trade Smoove for Rubio.

i do notice this if we could find somebody other than joe horf smooth can give us 15 pts. we win, b/c whether its from the paint or the wing we usually win or allways in the game nomatter who we play.when marvin gives us that we usually win, when zaza gives us that we win. so i feal whether is from the wing or the paint if we could get somebody we could dam near pencilin for 15 a game that would help b/c it takes pressure off of our core players.now chris kaman is nothing to write home to moma about but he can get you 16 a game.

• Premium Member

The team needs a defensive bigman more than it needs a low post scoring threat at the power positions. What it needs most is scorers that can do so consistently and efficiently, i.e. guys that can penetrate and get to the free throw line rather than guys who need 20 shots to get you 18 points if that.

OKC is a contender without a single guy that can score in the post, Chicago constantly subs Boozer out in favor of the defensive trio of Noah, Taj and Asik, Boston just knocked us out with Garnett hitting 20 footers, Philadelphia has Brand but he's always been a jumpshooter as well, Denver took the Lakers to 7 utilizing bigs that can only score through energy and hustle. You can get it done in the league without a guy you can throw the ball down into because overall all you need is a guy or guys that get you easy points.

Have to disagree with your notion.

We have nothing going to the rim.

OKC has a pseudo low postgame everytime Westbrook and Harden drives.

Brand has forgotten more about low post play than Josh ever knew. Brand is a beast on the low post blocks.

Harrington is just like Brand.. He fell in love with his outside shot, but inside.... Moreover, Denver's wins came when McGee was playing dominantly on the inside.

Chicago's main offense on the inside is when Boozer stops being lazy and goes inside or when DRose has the ball running at the rim.

When you look at us, we have nobody who will go inside but Teague.

That's why we look good when Teague is taking guys off the dribble.

Joe has never been a slashing SG.

Marvin is a set shot shooter.

Josh is allergic to the inside

Horf is a high post PF.

That means that our inside play happens in transition.

In the halfcourt gme, we're sunk. We are forced into being a jumpshooting team. And that's the problem.

We need that guy who can be counted on to get the ball deep inside and score 50% of the time.