• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Some junk I gotta get off my chest.

Wretch

• Premium Member

The new GM has to sit down with Josh... Soon and search his heart and see what Josh's true intentions are. Not the media's intention for Josh. Not his agent. Not some fans. But what Josh really wants.

The draft is a little over a month away. The clock is ticking.

Man some of us are up and down like a seesaw. One minute we need a superstar then the next we don't.One minute we should trade a couple pieces to make a run then the next we're talking about rebuilding. What happening here?

Frustration at watching this team disintegrate every year in the playoffs. A couple of things are for certain. One, we do not have a superstar and two, we need to change something or nothing with this team will ever change.... Edited by Buzzard

I don't think Wretch was making Josh a scapegoat. And for the one or two plays that have a good result with Smoove pushing the ball, how about the four or five that lead to turnovers or bad decisions. You can't seriously think that those things don't have a significantly adverse impact on the team overall. But in addition to that, we have the ill-advised jumpers and poor shot selection. The view that these things are okay because he's productive in other areas is in itself detrimental to the team. Watching San Antonio last night really showed how guys playing their roles and staying within the team concept really is critical to winning no matter how much talent you think you have.

Of course he was. He didn't mention any other Hawk but Josh Smith. Take your blinders off. This "frustration" thread was about the only player on our team who showed up consistently against Boston (Al excluded)

That's the problem. Even if you do something good that is outside your role, you're still outside of your role. Eventually, it will come back to get you.Bigger than him doing it is him believe that it proves something good. Josh is not Dirk and never will be. Why does he try to prove it all the time? Unless we get a coach who can reach him, he is partly responsible for our fall.

I can accept being partially responsible because everyone on our team should be. However, people keep mentioning Josh Smith like he's the reason we lost the damn series or that he's the reason we won't be a successful team. When the reality is we need an engine like Wretch said and currently don't have one.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't know if many of you can handle the truth.Truth should be to give this thing one last run then jump into the lottery head first.

• Premium Member

Of course he was. He didn't mention any other Hawk but Josh Smith. Take your blinders off. This "frustration" thread was about the only player on our team who showed up consistently against Boston (Al excluded)

What? He made the statements that this team needs a star, lacks fan support (for good reason) and that yes, Josh often plays out of role. Never once did I read "Josh is the sole reason the Hawks lost". Now, you take your "blinders" off and tell me what was untrue about anything Wretch said in that post.

• Premium Member

I don't know if many of you can handle the truth.Truth should be to give this thing one last run then jump into the lottery head first.

What's the rationale to hold on for one more year befote going into the lottery? Just what exactly does one more year of the same ole core get you that's so special or worth it?

The "engine" could be Deron Williams.

Go to that guy and see if he would be interested in being the "man" in ATLANTA. I mean SERIOUSLY go after that dude. Trade Jeff Teague + one more of "The Core" to get him here. Even let him choose which two of "the core" he'd rather play with. And yes ASG, that DOES mean signing Deron to a MAX contract in a sign and trade.

You'd open up everything if you had a superstar PG like Deron here. Whether you pair him up with JJ to possibly create the best backcourt in the league . . or you pair him up with one or two of our young tweener forwards to enhance their games . . a true PG like Deron could be a game changer around here.

And that's not to say that Teague has played bad, because he hasn't. But he's NOT Deron Williams.

We need on-court leadership, as well as leadership on the bench from the coach.

Give us Deron, and you IMMEDIATELY eliminate the reliance of ISO JJ at all times at the end of games. Give us Deron, and I bet Josh Smith doesn't try to be the PG on fast breaks, but instead fill the lanes for a dunk. Give us Deron, and maybe he can turn Al Horford into a poor man's Karl Malone.

So the question is . . where can we find that type of "engine" if we can't land a guy like Deron?

• Like 1

I can accept being partially responsible because everyone on our team should be. However, people keep mentioning Josh Smith like he's the reason we lost the damn series or that he's the reason we won't be a successful team. When the reality is we need an engine like Wretch said and currently don't have one.

But Josh Smith, more than any other player, is the one guy who makes the team "out of balance". He's not skilled enough to be an All-Star SF. He IS skilled enough to be an All-Star PF, but doesn't want to play like one. That's why I've started to compare Josh Smith to Antoine Walker. Toine was notorious for doing the same type of things that Josh does. Toine was more offensively talented than Smith, but his mental makeup was arguably worse. His shot selection was definitely worse.Replace Josh with a legit PF, and this team may solve a lot of its problems . . . even without "the engine":

The "engine" could be Deron Williams.

Go to that guy and see if he would be interested in being the "man" in ATLANTA. I mean SERIOUSLY go after that dude. Trade Jeff Teague + one more of "The Core" to get him here. Even let him choose which two of "the core" he'd rather play with. And yes ASG, that DOES mean signing Deron to a MAX contract in a sign and trade.

You'd open up everything if you had a superstar PG like Deron here. Whether you pair him up with JJ to possibly create the best backcourt in the league . . or you pair him up with one or two of our young tweener forwards to enhance their games . . a true PG like Deron could be a game changer around here.

And that's not to say that Teague has played bad, because he hasn't. But he's NOT Deron Williams.

We need on-court leadership, as well as leadership on the bench from the coach.

Give us Deron, and you IMMEDIATELY eliminate the reliance of ISO JJ at all times at the end of games. Give us Deron, and I bet Josh Smith doesn't try to be the PG on fast breaks, but instead fill the lanes for a dunk. Give us Deron, and maybe he can turn Al Horford into a poor man's Karl Malone.

So the question is . . where can we find that type of "engine" if we can't land a guy like Deron?

I like Deron a lot but getting the ASG to go for one more max will be tough. Not to mention bidding against the Mavs and Nets next season. I think the ASG will go on the cheap once again. Move Josh for a expiring/cheaper contract and the highest pick they can get.

Al Horford is not a poor man Karl Malone. Al is every bit as talented and gifted. He just has an extremely shitty supporting cast for what he does. Never had a PnR PG. The one time he had a true PG with Bibby, he was putting some of the best numbers in the NBA. You give this man a PnR PG who can make players better, Al would be every bit as good as Malone. EVERY bit.Al Horford is not a poor man Karl Malone. Al is every bit as talented and gifted. He just has an extremely shitty supporting cast for what he does. Never had a PnR PG. The one time he had a true PG with Bibby, he was putting some of the best numbers in the NBA. You give this man a PnR PG who can make players better, Al would be every bit as good as Malone. EVERY bit.

Smith is better than Tonie simply for defense, defensive bbiq, and work ethic. Tonie was gifted offensively but was really stupid. Josh is not gifted on offense.

Al Horford is not a poor man Karl Malone. Al is every bit as talented and gifted. He just has an extremely shitty supporting cast for what he does. Never had a PnR PG. The one time he had a true PG with Bibby, he was putting some of the best numbers in the NBA. You give this man a PnR PG who can make players better, Al would be every bit as good as Malone. EVERY bit.

He is not as gifted offensively as Malone or defensively as McHale but is just below both on both sides of the ball. A very talented and balanced player IMO.

Smith is better than Tonie simply for defense, defensive bbiq, and work ethic. Tonie was gifted offensively but was really stupid. Josh is not gifted on offense.

you forgot this...."Smith is better than Tonie simply for defense, defensive bbiq, and work ethic. Tonie was gifted offensively but was really stupid. Josh is not gifted on offense but IS REALLY STUPID".

There are multiple ways to get a superstar.DraftTradeFree Agencyetc.

Not for the 2012-13 Hawks franchise.We don't have caps space to sign a superstar. So scratch off FA.We don't have trade pieces to trade for a superstar. So scratch off trade.We do have a trade piece who can get us a good lottery pick though. Edited by coachx

Not for these Hawks.We don't have caps space to sign one. So scratch off FA.We don't have trade pieces to trade for one. So scratch off trade.We do have a trade piece who can get us a good lottery pick though.

I seriously doubt Smoove isn't traded on draft day. Marvin will be traded as well. I have no doubt. The offers will be high for Smith and Marvin is a starting level SF with a reasonable contract. Both won't be Hawk past July 1.

I seriously doubt Smoove isn't traded on draft day. Marvin will be traded as well. I have no doubt. The offers will be high for Smith and Marvin is a starting level SF with a reasonable contract. Both won't be Hawk past July 1.

I'm hoping for picks 5-7. I know you think Washington is a possibility at #5. I like Portland at #6 (they have 2 lottery picks) and GS at 7.Pick #7 is probably the most probabale as Golden State was rumored to be one of the few teams after Josh at the March trade deadline......so one can assume Coach Mark Jackson is not a coach who would veto a Smith trade like many other coaches would. Edited by coachx

I'm hoping for picks 5-7. I know you think Washington is a possibility at #5. I like Portland at #6 (they have 2 lottery picks) and GS at 7.Pick #7 is probably the most probabale as Golden State was rumored to be one of the few teams after Josh at the March trade deadline......so one can assume Coach Mark Jackson is not a coach who would veto a Smith trade like many other coaches would.

Aldridge and Smoove on the same team is a mix I do not like. The Wizards and GS are more likely IMO.

• Premium Member

I said that I would hold my tongue until after the playoffs....given that ANYTHING could happen. I didn't think we would get out of the 2nd round, but I knew for sure we would bounce Boston. Game 2 was our fault...as was the ridiculous blowout in game 4.

But let me put this out there again...it is RIDICULOUS the way people look past what Josh does. It's not OK. Basketball is a game of MOMENTUM. Do people understand what that means? All it takes is a few plays to turn a game around, and a game will turn a series around... No it's not all one player's fault...that's a ridiculous assumption to make.

NO IT IS NOT ONE PLAYER'S FAULT...

There are very few people who actually believe that a team sport comes down to one player failing. So no, it's not one player's fault.

Missing free throws is a part of the game.

Missing shots is a part of the game.

Getting out coached is a part of the game.

Getting outhustled is a part of the game.

Getting outrebounded, outscored, outclassed...what can you say about any of that? Nothing. It's a part of the damn game.

What is not a part of the game is ANYTIME a player does something outside of his skillset...outside of his role. Dennis Rodman for 3? With the game on the line? And Jordan, Pippen, Kerr....on the court? Makes no sense. Yeah, if he HAD to take the shot. That makes sense because it happens all the time. A player has to take a shot because there's nobody there and the clock is less than 3 seconds. YES a player has to push the ball up the court, because he got a steal, or there was a turnover, or whatever...he's got the ball and has to take advantage.

Otherwise, you just give away possessions. WHAT PURPOSE THAT SERVE? NONE.

IT ONLY SERVES TO HELP THE TEAM WE ARE PLAYING AGAINST. Hence, other coaches calling Josh Smith their 6th man. When a game comes down to 1 or 2 possessions, and you look back at missed opportunities...unforced turnovers and shots that just do not belong to you, that you NEVER make...man, that's just extremely costly. I'm sorry, but that shit has to stop.

Superstar....

In every sport, there are those players that make a difference. They're just better than others at what they do, for whatever reason. This is something that hasn't changed since man decided he wanted to compete against other men for fun (or war). These are the players that you NEED to build a successful team - for fan support, for wins, for everything.

In other sports, the environment is more team oriented. In basketball, there are only 5 players on the court playing for you at a time.

FIVE.

That means the impact that each individual player is that much greater. That is why when there is a superstar on the court, they make such a big difference. When one team has that player that makes baskets, the other team needs someone that can match it. In the history of the NBA there have really only been a couple of championship anomalies that did not have that ONE guy that could answer. But those teams were so GOOD on an individual level and were sewn together so seamlessly as a team...and played such superior defense...that it didn't matter.

This squad that we have doesn't resemble either type. We are just good enough to make the playoffs and get beaten and we are not bad enough to draft the guy that can get us over. This is the WORST position to be in and you have to do something. I've been saying this since we got beat by the Bulls...IN 1997.

We need an engine. A REAL player to drive this team and drive this market. We have to start making some history and building a fan base NOW so 10 years from now...we're not wondering why nobody cares about this team.

He is not as gifted offensively as Malone or defensively as McHale but is just below both on both sides of the ball. A very talented and balanced player IMO.

He is better defensively than Malone and Malone is just more aggressive. Neither created their own shot at a high rate. Heavily assisted players. You give Al a real PnR PG and you guys would sing a different tune to Al.

I'm hoping for picks 5-7. I know you think Washington is a possibility at #5. I like Portland at #6 (they have 2 lottery picks) and GS at 7.Pick #7 is probably the most probabale as Golden State was rumored to be one of the few teams after Josh at the March trade deadline......so one can assume Coach Mark Jackson is not a coach who would veto a Smith trade like many other coaches would.

It will cost more than the 7th pick. They will need to give us a prospect or two which they don't have. Pass.