• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Cunningham Blog on Hawks' Salary Cap

AHF

I noticed that a couple of days ago. It's clear that both Marvin will go due to the lack of talent at his position and his contract is finally reasonable and Smith will likely go to depending on his trade value.That should give us around 12 million in true cap space after the lotto draft pick cap hold.Barnes, MKG, Marshall, Drummond, Beal, Lamb should be one of our guys.We see have money for two quality players in FA. Mayo and a backup level center like Daly or Camby.We could try to land Nash as well but that's highly unlikely since Nash has to want to play in Atlanta.

Sadly, thinking that "Josh" will go when he has no cap hit next year and the problem gets worse with JJ's salary and Teague's impending new salary is financial suicide. This would propel the team toward the lottery in the future. The only solution is moving JJ for 3 low-mid-level salary players to spread out the salary.True that Josh would yield more in return, but Josh's salary is more akin to a trade deadline deal and not an off-season deal. JJ for 3 average players creates more flexibility (think the Melo to NY deal).
  • Like 1

Sadly, thinking that "Josh" will go when he has no cap hit next year and the problem gets worse with JJ's salary and Teague's impending new salary is financial suicide. This would propel the team toward the lottery in the future. The only solution is moving JJ for 3 low-mid-level salary players to spread out the salary.True that Josh would yield more in return, but Josh's salary is more akin to a trade deadline deal and not an off-season deal. JJ for 3 average players creates more flexibility (think the Melo to NY deal).

I don't think anyone wants JJ as badly as NY wanted Melo. So you may as well say three below average players and hopefully a decent pick.No cap hit for Smoove.....Is Josh playing for free next season? And add in the fact he will be a FA after one more season and may get a big raise, holding onto him might be financial suicide. Edited by Buzzard

There has been so much goal post moving in regards to Marvin that it's unbelievable.

I have moved mine over the last few seasons a lot. His BEST CASE for me is the 14 and 6 he put up two seasons ago. No more dreams of him hitting 18 to 20 ppg and 8 to 10 rpg.

Marvin has no trade value as league scouts have painfully made aware to us fans. Our resident GM/Advanced Scout out of all people should have realized this long ago. He has to be the one amnestied especially if we are using both exceptions.

Sadly, thinking that "Josh" will go when he has no cap hit next year and the problem gets worse with JJ's salary and Teague's impending new salary is financial suicide. This would propel the team toward the lottery in the future. The only solution is moving JJ for 3 low-mid-level salary players to spread out the salary.

True that Josh would yield more in return, but Josh's salary is more akin to a trade deadline deal and not an off-season deal. JJ for 3 average players creates more flexibility (think the Melo to NY deal).

Sund, or whoever is the gm, would earn my full endorsement if he were able to move JJ for 3 players whose contracts would be up in a year or two. However, JJ is no Melo(that is kinda sad to say) and only a really desperate team will even consider this. Jury's out on JJ. He ain't all that.

• Premium Member

NBA40 is correct, Marvin has a lot of GM around the league that would love to have him. Atlanta's system is terrible and its because we have no NBA level head coach. Drew doesnt have a clue and I hope Portland takes him off our hands. Problem is ASG would just promote one of our assistants.The only way the Hawks can be active and stay under the salary cap is to fleece some team into taking JJ's contract on. Bottom line you can dream all u want but there will be no moves made this offseason, unless its the coach or GM. I cant see anyone in the coaching line or GM line willing to come here and get paid crumbs from the ASG. IMO Sund will stay, he draws a check (a cheap one) and doesnt have to make any decisions.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/whose-got-cap-spaceOf course I hope that Washington or Sacremento target Josh Smith and we get a pick better then #7. I just can't see why either club would be confident enough, in their ability to resign Josh longterm, that they would trade away a top 5 pick to aquire such an adverse risk.

I remember the warriors also being interested in Joe Johnson... how awesome would that be if we could unload Joe for #7. WOW, that WOULD be cool.