• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Josh Smith: Severely underrated and under-appreciated

Joker

• Premium Member

He's one of the few draft picks to pan out for this team. I've watched him grow here and turn into a significant player on this team. He frustrates me with his play at times, but I don't want to see him go. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a new and improved Smoove next season as he always manages to add something to his game.

• Premium Member

I don't think that would happen because Can't they find this out by trying to sign him to an extension before his contract runs out?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think an extension is an option. When asked about his future in Atlanta, Josh said "I'm under contract with Atlanta for one more year". On top of already knowing about his trade request, does that sound like someone who wants to sign an extension with the Hawks?

• Premium Member

Are we supposed to be mad at him for leaving when he's already said he wants out privately to the owners? If we get nothing for him its not his fault. He can't trade himself.n

No, it's not his fault. I just find it ridiculous for some fans to advocate not trading him even when they know that not trading him will set the team back.

I think he should go for a high lottery pick but I do realize his talent but we need to move on to build as a team. This thread is basically about understanding his value and his positives.

• Premium Member

He wouldn't shine with the Squrs. They are too precised. He would shine with Nash, Wall, Curry. Basically up-tempo PG's with a lot of talent.

Nope. He would shine with a PG who would only give him the ball when he was in his spot.And beside another scorer.

Nope. He would shine with a PG who would only give him the ball when he was in his spot.And beside another scorer.

That would help most definitely but Josh is rarely in good spots regardless in the half court set. Josh is the type you can run a high octane style with and win. The less thinking, the better the Smoove.

just come back and see me when he hits 30 pts. & 18 reb. or get 6 asst. & 3 steals with 4 blk. shots. horford doesnt give you that. we shure know joe (perenial allstar selection) cant come close to some of those #s.on some nights josh has more assist.

Those are Lebron numbers.

Josh is a lot like Jet when he was here. Not underrated but, for our team needs to get to the next level, a bad fit. Jet moved to Dallas with Dirk and that is when he shined the brightest. In a role not as the primary scorer but as a sixth man and sometimes starter. Josh could shine also in a defensive role but not as a prmary scorer like he is here.JT grew into his role, hopefully Josh will also. Otherwise he will always be over-valued by some fans and looked at as the opposing teams sixth man by most NBA coaches.

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators

Nothing to do with stats at all, but congrats also to Citizen Smoove, for his runner-up finish this year (along with former Hawk, Citizen JET):

http://www.nba.com/lakers/120518paugasol_citizenshipaward

NEW YORK - Pau Gasol of the Los Angeles Lakers has been voted the 2011-12 winner of the J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award, named after the second commissioner of the NBA and presented annually by the Professional Basketball Writers Association and given annually to the player, coach or trainer who shows outstanding service and dedication to the community...

The PBWA comprises approximately 150 writers for newspapers, Internet services and magazines, who cover the NBA on a regular basis. Its members nominate finalists for the award; the other finalists this year were Josh Smith of the Atlanta Hawks, Jason Terry of the Dallas Mavericks, and J.J. Redick of the Orlando Magic.

~lw3
  • Like 1

Josh has a real coach, he needs a personnel that fits him. His percentage on offense said everything you needed to know. He takes too many spot up jumpers, threes, iso's for his own good. He was most effective when cutting. He just needs limited touches, a PG to create for him so it's not so hard and he should be fine offensively. That's probably for his next team, not this one.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Josh doesn't have a coach, he has an enablerHe needs a strong vet coach that won't let him take the dumb jumpers over and over againHe gets the ball with the opening to drive all the time and takes the jumper instead

J.R. Smith had a strong vet coach and he still took dumb jumpers. Phil Jackson coached Artest and he still had poor shot selection.Coaching under Woody isn't what forced Smith off of the 3 point line, it was Mike Bibby ignoring Josh or waving him to the post when he was at the 3pt line to begin with.A PG who knows hot spots, where to get the ball to, and where a player can do more damage is vital for Smoove's game as well as most NBA players. Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Premium Member

We here so much about Josh having a high bbiq. But, when he takes all those terrible shots, we blame the coach. "He's an enabler". When will Josh be held accountable for those bad shots? LD is wrong for letting him take those shots. No question about that. But, you can't proclaim a guy has high bbiq and then turn around and blame the coach when the guy repeatedly does ill-advised things on the floor.

• Like 2

We here so much about Josh having a high bbiq. But, when he takes all those terrible shots, we blame the coach. "He's an enabler". When will Josh be held accountable for those bad shots? LD is wrong for letting him take those shots. No question about that. But, you can't proclaim a guy has high bbiq and then turn around and blame the coach when the guy repeatedly does ill-advised things on the floor.

The way I see it is that by looking at how Josh stacks up stats in Rebs, blks, stls, asts, points.... his jumps shots come from wanting to be the most rounded player. When you have that type of players he will need someone to still govern him. All good players need this. Just like Kobe and Shaq couldn’t win without a good coach. I could be wrong but I believe this. All good players also like coaches that lay down rules. Players coaches take you nowhere. You may hate Patriots coach Bill and Spurs coach Pa because they give you nothing but strict guide lines… with Championships!

• Premium Member

The way I see it is that by looking at how Josh stacks up stats in Rebs, blks, stls, asts, points.... his jumps shots come from wanting to be the most rounded player. When you have that type of players he will need someone to still govern him. All good players need this. Just like Kobe and Shaq couldn’t win without a good coach.I could be wrong but I believe this. All good players also like coaches that lay down rules. Players coaches take you nowhere. You may hate Patriots coach Bill and Spurs coach Pa because they give you nothing but strict guide lines… with Championships!

It doesn't matter what stats he puts up or what motivation he may have to try and prove himself a complete player, none of that justifies the ill advised things he does on the floor which either reflects poor bbiq, selfishness or some combination of the two. A player has to take responsibility for his motives and the actions that result. Trying to pin that all on coaching when it seems convienient is a lame cop out and player protectionism at its finest. Edited by Jody23

A PG who knows hot spots, where to get the ball to, and where a player can do more damage is vital for Smoove's game as well as most NBA players.

Josh needs to give the ball up to our PG also. JJ and Smoove handle the ball almost as much as Teague. You really need to stop blaming Teague when he has no control over Josh. No one has stopped Josh from chucking threes except Josh who stopped on his on for one season.Those two coaches did not call Smoove uncoachable and the other teams 6th man due to anyones ability to control him! Self control is something Josh lacks. Period
  • Like 1

I've never heard anyone say Josh has a high bbiq. Low bbiq yes, high bbiq? Never.