• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Josh Smith: Severely underrated and under-appreciated

Joker

• Premium Member

I've never heard anyone say Josh has a high bbiq. Low bbiq yes, high bbiq? Never.

Lol. Several members of his fan club here like to believe he does. While I don't think he has a poor bbiq, I do believe his motive for alot of the things he does is trying to make himself look good for other teams. Other teams he would like to sign a lucrative deal with once he leaves Atlanta.

• Moderators

We here so much about Josh having a high bbiq. But, when he takes all those terrible shots, we blame the coach. "He's an enabler". When will Josh be held accountable for those bad shots?

Holding him accountable is the coach's job.

LD is wrong for letting him take those shots. No question about that.

Yep. That is because it is his job.

But, you can't proclaim a guy has high bbiq and then turn around and blame the coach when the guy repeatedly does ill-advised things on the floor.

It is a sign a bad basketball IQ, but the coach deserves blame because he is supposed to hold the player accountable.

• Premium Member

Holding him accountable is the coach's job.Yep. That is because it is his job.It is a sign a bad basketball IQ, but the coach deserves blame because he is supposed to hold the player accountable.

I'm not saying LD doesn't deserve blame. But Josh deserves plenty blame for it as well.

• Moderators

I'm not saying LD doesn't deserve blame. But Josh deserves plenty blame for it as well.

I know I have raked Josh over the coals many times and can assure you there have been more threads on him deserving blame for bad shot selection than perhaps any other subject since he was drafted.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like this thread is needed more than ever.

It's not like LD can just bench him when he's playing poorly. He's fighting for his job every season.

Craw got almost as many minutes as Josh coming off the bench two seasons ago. So yes he could but he is scared shitless to try.

Craw got almost as many minutes as Josh coming off the bench two seasons ago. So yes he could but he is scared shitless to try.

Absolutely. The ASG should have either signed him long term or not sign him at all. Players don't have to respect him when many of them got much more job security than he does.

Absolutely. The ASG should have either signed him long term or not sign him at all. Players don't have to respect him when many of them got much more job security than he does.

I think with the possible sale of the team they did not want to lock new ownership into a long term deal with a no name coach.

• Moderators

Awesome find but you still will have those who say he's the worst player and needs to be trade.Or how about this quote people say on here.. "If he played with a team like the Spurs he would shine under a coach like that." O_o WTF??? Well, why trade him??? Hell, get a new coach! lol

It's not that I want Josh gone, it's that he has requested to be traded, I don't want the Hawks to be left in the cold when he leaves at the end of next year. He won't stay unless in one year the owner's quit being cheap, the fans stop being fickled, and the coach starts coaching and institutes a offensive/defensive scheme.

• 3 weeks later...

One last hooray for Josh Smith.

• Premium Member

He will be the key piece on a championship level team soon. Then you will see these same Hawks fans bitching and moaning about the Hawks not be able to hold on to talent.

What I do not understand is:

[*]He makes less money than Joe.

[*]He is far more impactful on the outcome of games than Joe.

[*]He has never been a feature story on TMZ or MTO.

[*]He never said, "We could care less if they show up."

How in the world are these same people supporting JJ while killing this guy every chance?

I'm with you 100% on this one.

Severely underrated and under-appreciated

Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 2

• Moderators

He will be the key piece on a championship level team soon. Then you will see these same Hawks fans bitching and moaning about the Hawks not be able to hold on to talent.

What I do not understand is:

[*]He makes less money than Joe.

[*]He is far more impactful on the outcome of games than Joe.

[*]He has never been a feature story on TMZ or MTO.

[*]He never said, "We could care less if they show up."

How in the world are these same people supporting JJ while killing this guy every chance?

I'm with you 100% on this one.

Severely underrated and under-appreciated

Most people serious dislike JJ's contract which is why there is thoughtful discussion as to whether we should just cut Joe and let him walk but there is no talk of amnestying Josh. The fact that no one is advocating that we amnesty Josh is a reflection that the fan base places a higher value on Josh's cost/value proposition than JJ's.

On performance, it is hard to see Josh being a key figure on a championship level team without changing his approach on offense. It is the approach on offense that is getting worse with him and causes the frustration of the fans far more than anything else.

In that sense, JJ is easy to imagine fitting in on a championship level team. For example, swapping out JJ for Wade or Harden or Ray Allen or Manu Ginobili is all fairly easy to imagine, at least for me. Josh mixing in with any of those teams on offense is hard to imagine. Swapping Josh for Bosh or TD or Garnett is hard to picture with those teams remaining good enough to be in the finals with a few bounces or key calls flipping their way (which is how close I think SA and BOS were in the conference finals this season).

Edited by AHF