• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Blazers' Request: Inspected... Rejected.

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingblazers?Source-Hawks-denied-Blazers-permission-t=1&blockID=712160&feedID=5212

CSNNW.com has learned the Portland Trail Blazers did request permission to speak with Atlanta Hawks general manager Rick Sund and ownership denied their request, according to a source close to the situation.Chris Broussard of ESPN was first to report the Trail Blazers had interest in Sund and that Hawks ownership preferred to wait until their season concluded before they would allow the two sides to talk.Now that the Hawks' season is over, a source tells CSNNW.com that “Sund to the Trail Blazers is not in his plans.” Sund and Hawks' ownership are in talks about re-signing being that his current deal expires June 30 and I've been told that retirement is strong possibility.Sund, 60, just completed his fourth season with the Hawks in which his team lost in the first round to the Boston Celtics in six games.

"No! You can't have him! Unless he, like, retires or something."~lw3

Sund resigns for two years and we move on is my projection.

.....or Sunds signs as a senior advisor and with Sund's recomendation the ASG give a promotion Assistant GM David Pendergraft.

I could see that happening. Not that it really matters without a scouting department and the ability to spend the MLE every year.

Pretty interesting that Sund and Drew were both sought out by Portland. I always seemed to look at Portland as a better version of the Hawks. Oddly they seemed to think we had something they didn't.

Kevin Pritchard got instant acclaim for taking Roy and Oden but injuries completely derailed their careers and the Blazers future.Being the only pro team in towns gives them a rabid fan base. Edited by coachx

• Moderators

Not sure if I'm properly phrasing the question, but should we be comfortable with a person who may call the shots as to who the Hawks pick (or at least be the mouthpiece for the one that does) less than 48 hours before he rides off into the sunset?What's the latest date with which Sund can say, "You know what, guys? Gimme my golf bag, I'm calling it a career," and this franchise signs someone not already on the payroll (like Pendergraft) capable of guiding the draft-day decisions in time for the 28th?On whatever that date is, I want A$G to have either Sund re-upped or an "Interim Assistant GM" candidate ready to take over on July 1 AND having a direct hand in whatever decisions the Hawks make on June 28th. No legacy picks/trades, please!~lw3

• Moderators

Kevin Pritchard got instant acclaim for taking Roy and Oden but injuries completely derailed their careers and the Blazers future.Being the only pro team in towns gives them a rabid fan base.

Didn't Pritchard also pull off a trade to move up and get Lamarcus Aldridge?

Pritch was making a lot of good moves. Sure Oden was the biggie but he really was putting to together an unstoppable team. Something better than what OKC is today. His bench was legit too.Sund was doing good as well till he had cap tied.

I don't like Joe's contract but we need him.Joe is a legit elite #2 option. Solid #1 option. He's worth it if we make the right moves.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

I don't like Joe's contract but we need him.Joe is a legit elite #2 option. Solid #1 option. He's worth it if we make the right moves.

From a coaching standpoint, Joe Johnson can be a very useful player for this team if he was utilized correctly. He wouldn't be worth his contract, but he would be far more efficient than he currently is. The problem is, because of his contract status, the Hawks feel obligated to make him the lead dog, so they utilize him a ton in isolation sets and as the ball handler off the pick and roll. Joe is at his most efficient as a spot up jump shooter, and he is actually also very efficient as a post up player. The Hawks should be utilizing Joe more as a spot up shooter, running him off ball screens, and getting him the ball in the post. His PPP would go up tremendously, and the Hawks offense would flow better without him dominating the ball on isolation plays and as the ball handler off the pick and roll. The guy who should be the ball handler off the pick and roll is Jeff Teague, as that is one of his most efficient offensive plays. Josh Smith is most efficient as a cutter to the basket. He's not that efficient at all as a spot up shooter or post up player, however, the Hawks use him as a spot up jump shooter on almost 1/3rd of their total offensive possessions. The inherent question with that is whether this is something being promoted by Larry Drew, or if Josh is playing outside of the offense and doing it on his own? The latter brings up the question as to why he isn't disciplined if he is doing this on his own?