• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Josh and Gasol

Vol4ever

Yall do realize that this season and in the playoffs Marvin had a higher ws/48 than Joe. I'm not a big stat guy, but I think giving up Marvin would be a mistake. Especially, if Gasol is the guy we end up getting.

I don't like giving up Josh and Marvin either. But if that is what it takes to get Gasol and a Pick, I will take it. Would much rather send Smoove and a snt deal with Hinrich but then the draft will be over.

• Premium Member

Yall do realize that this season and in the playoffs Marvin had a higher ws/48 than Joe. I'm not a big stat guy, but I think giving up Marvin would be a mistake. Especially, if Gasol is the guy we end up getting.

And that stat means? We've all seen enough of Marvin to know his game doesn't merit the kind of contract he has and his contract is another reason this team has very limited financial flexibility. My guess is the Hawks would jump for joy if the Lakers would take Marvin, but the Lakers would probably resist. Edited by Jody23

Who's going to replace him in this draft though ? Eyenga is not good, and we would be taking our chances having to start a rookie.

Not really. We draft a damn center and get anyone to come in at the 2 or 3. JJ split his time between both SG and SF. So anyone even Hinrich would work just fine. But we need bigs not more tweeners!

And that stat means? We've all seen enough of Marvin to know his game doesn't merit the kind of contract he has and his contract is another reason this team has very limited financial flexibility. My guess is the Hawks would jump for joy if the Lakers would take Marvin, but the Lakers would probably resist.

that is completely bogus. 7 million is the reason we are limited financially ? That makes no sense. Win shares calculates the impact an individual player has on the overall success of the team. Everyone on the board knows the real reason we are limited financially. I have had this discussion with another player. He's a 5 or 6 million dollar a year type player. He's slightly overpaid, but hes a very solid player who helps the team much more than he hurts the team. The Lakers would love to have Marvin on their team and he would be much more consistent than any SF on their roster. Edited by EazyRoc

Not really. We draft a damn center and get anyone to come in at the 2 or 3. JJ split his time between both SG and SF. So anyone even Hinrich would work just fine. But we need bigs not more tweeners!

No guarantee Hinrich will be here next season. So who do we start then ? A vet minimum ?

No guarantee Hinrich will be here next season. So who do we start then ? A vet minimum ?

No guarantee Marvin, Horford, or Smoove will be here either or will not get hurt. I don't know, maybe standing pat and not getting Gasol is the way to go. But I for one would rather have Gasol/Horford/JJ/Teague/SF filler over Marvin/Smoove/JJ/Horford/Teague. I really would like to see us with a 7ft all star just one more time before I retire or croak! Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

that is completely bogus. 7 million is the reason we are limited financially ? That makes no sense. Everyone on the board knows the real reason we are limited financially. I have had this discussion with another player. He's a 5 or 6 million dollar a year type player. He's slightly overpaid, but hes a very solid player who helps the team much more than he hurts the team. The Lakers would love to have Marvin on their team and he would be much more consistent than any SF on their roster.

I didn't say he was "the" reason, but that his contract is one of the problems. As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing slight about it. Marvin is clearly overpaid. If the Lakers want to pay his price tag for two years, they can gladly have him.

No guarantee Marvin, Horford, or Smoove will be here either or will not get hurt. I don't know, maybe standing pat and not getting Gasol is the way to go. But I for one would rather have Gasol/Horford/JJ/Teague/SF filler over Marvin/Smoove/JJ/Horford/Teague. I really would like to see us with a 7ft all star just one more time before I retire or croak!

Avoid the question completely. Who do we get to start at the wing if we trade Marvin ? Gasol for Smith isn't the worst trade I've heard despite the fact that he's on the decline. We do that trade and we don't have money for a starting quality wing. We will be starting Willie Green ? Gladyr ? A bunch of guys who wouldn't get any kind of minutes on any other playoff team.

I didn't say he was "the" reason, but that his contract is one of the problems. As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing slight about it. Marvin is clearly overpaid. If the Lakers want to pay his price tag for two years, they can gladly have him.

His contract is not a problem. There is only one terrible contract on this team, and that's because Sund was backed into a corner.

Marvin has to be included to make a trade of Josh for Gasol work. And there's no way should the addition of Marvin be a "dealbreaker" for that trade. I'll give Marvin props for playing decent for most of the regular season. But he was absolutely abysmal in those first 4 playoff games. His win score was boosted by the Game 3 rebounding numbers, and the 3 point shooting in Games 5 and 6. Otherwise, he gave us little to nothing.Go get Gasol, and his .165 regular season win score/48 and his 20.5 PER to Atlanta.People need to take the emotion out of this topic and understand what is going on:- Josh has indicated behind the scenes that he wants out of ATL- His contract is up at the end of next season- He isn't likely to sign an extension in the summer, seeing that he can get much more money if he waits until next summer to do a deal- The Hawks have never been a destination for major free agentsSo unless management will pay anything ( including the Max ) to keep Josh .. AND .. they know Josh will sign that contract, the Hawks need to be proactive and trade Josh for the best possible deal they can get. And the addition of a top 5 - 10 PF does just that.

Avoid the question completely. Who do we get to start at the wing if we trade Marvin ? Gasol for Smith isn't the worst trade I've heard despite the fact that he's on the decline. We do that trade and we don't have money for a starting quality wing. We will be starting Willie Green ? Gladyr ? A bunch of guys who wouldn't get any kind of minutes on any other playoff team.His contract is not a problem. There is only one terrible contract on this team, and that's because Sund was backed into a corner.

Not avoiding the question but but I am not a fortune teller or mind reader. You say we may not have Hinrich. I am of the same mind set but neither of us know anything for sure.Marvin only had 37 starts out of 57 games. You make it sound like he would be hard to replace because he was a key starter all season long.37 starts, 8ppg, 5 rpg. That is not hard to replace lmao Edited by Buzzard

The reason I think its a mistake is because we are already thin at both wing positions. Hell, we are thin overall. The Gasol trade is probably the best trade we can get if we can't resign Josh. However, we are still rolling the dice by picking him up. We don't know if he has the desire to play hard, his production is on the decline, and he is not tough both physically and mentally. We would be in win now mode with a team that still would be underdogs against Chicago and Miami. Once his contract is up, we will probably be left with nothing and then will be in full blown rebuild mode. About Marvin, he played well in the last game and kept us in the game early on. His regular season win share numbers goes to reinforce (forgot exactly who it was) some coach's comments about Marvin being one of the more under-rated players in the league.

Who's going to replace him in this draft though ? Eyenga is not good, and we would be taking our chances having to start a rookie.

Marvin avg 8.7 ppg and 5 rpg. That is not all that hard to replace. Hell TMAC could score that much in 25 mpg or less.

Not avoiding the question but but I am not a fortune teller or mind reader. You say we may not have Hinrich. I am of the same mind set but neither of us know anything for sure.Marvin only had 37 starts out of 57 games. You make it sound like he would be hard to replace because he was a key starter all season long.37 starts, 8ppg, 5 rpg. That is not hard to replace lmao

Let's not forget how much more productive about every other player except Teague was under a different coach. How he was a 13-15 ppg 5-7 rpg player for like 3 years.

Let's not forget how much more productive about every other player except Teague was under a different coach. How he was a 13-15 ppg 5-7 rpg player for like 3 years.

I like Marvin but he is not all that. He has had 3 seasons of 13 ppg or more and 4 seasons of 10 ppg or less. He is a servicable starter but getting Gasol and a pick IMO is well worth trading away two players that have never made a all star game. Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

I still don't think this trade puts us in a position to win a title and after Gasols contract is up, we are left with nothing.

I think we'd be a better team with Gasol who can post up and move Horford to the high post where he can kill people with his mid range jumper. Gasol isn't a ball hog like Josh and we'd see better flow in our offense. And as for "left with nothing" we would have around 20 million OFF our cap at the end of Gasol's deal. That is huge. We can rebuild or retool around Horford and Joe with that kind of salary. Heck Gasol could be resigned for a pittance as he'd be 34 at that time.
  • Like 1

I still don't think this trade puts us in a position to win a title and after Gasols contract is up, we are left with nothing.

Gasol alone will not do it but I think Gasol and two 1st round picks gets us a whole lot closer than staying with the same non all star, to small core for another early playoff exit.

I think we'd be a better team with Gasol who can post up and move Horford to the high post where he can kill people with his mid range jumper. Gasol isn't a ball hog like Josh and we'd see better flow in our offense. And as for "left with nothing" we would have around 20 million OFF our cap at the end of Gasol's deal. That is huge. We can rebuild or retool around Horford and Joe with that kind of salary. Heck Gasol could be resigned for a pittance as he'd be 34 at that time.

Our team would be better if Gasol does not continue to decline. However, if his contract comes off the books will we be in a position to sign a difference maker ?

Gasol alone will not do it but I think Gasol and two 1st round picks gets us a whole lot closer than staying with the same non all star, to small core for another early playoff exit.

If we could get 2 picks out of LA that would out us in a much better position going forward, because I don't think Gasol alone puts us over the top.