• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Josh and Gasol

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

LA doesn't have a 1st rd pick in this year's draft. This draft's strength doesn't help this trade's argument.That's one of my problems with this deal. I think I'm on board for JS/Gasol exchange but the 1st isn't until next year. That's a problem given we would be positioning to win now by getting Gasol for 2 years. We need talent much less cheap talent if we take on Gasol's deal. W

I think that's not that big of a deal. The draft pick is really a set up for after Joe and gasol is gone. In the meanwhile, there are several capable vet min type players who can fit the bill of what we need.

I think that's not that big of a deal. The draft pick is really a set up for after Joe and gasol is gone. In the meanwhile, there are several capable vet min type players who can fit the bill of what we need.

Your plan put us in the post Deke era. I hate that plan truth be told. Come up with a better one that makes us contenders.

Pau Gasol vs Celtics in FebruaryPlaying how a big man shoud play

You can post great Josh Smith games as well, that doesn't mean he will give you that on a nightly basis or even fit like he does in LA at times. You know good and well that's not what Gasol does on a nightly basis, he wasn't even doing that nightly in his prime. It's funny how his rebounds improved when he got next to a true center and not guys weren't centers previously. I think you are underestimating the difference in fit for Gasol that LA is compared to Atlanta. There is an epic difference. If Josh is in LA, you will see the difference in his game.

Guest Walter

You guys are right on the draft pick. It does make the pick a less attractive part of the picture. A trade for Gasol is still an option 4 for me but I'm not sure how many other options are open to us:* 1 - Use Josh to get a star ala Josh for Dwight Howard.* 2 - Get a new coach committed to getting Josh to play to his strengths offensively and sign Josh to a solidly priced extension.* 3 - Get a good lottery pick for Josh. (Should be shopping JJ here).* 4 - Trade Josh for solid value with a player like Gasol.* 5 - Keep Josh without an extension and see what options open up during the season.

Agree with that list. I might have moved Gasol with a pick THIS year to #2 or 3 (but of course the pick would have to be next year). We already know #2 is not occuring as we have retained LD. As far as JJ, I really think GS should be a team that wants him and I hope we move him.W

• Premium Member

Your plan put us in the post Deke era. I hate that plan truth be told. Come up with a better one that makes us contenders.

I don't understand why you hate the plan. I get that you don't like Gasol. However, it's not hard to see that he's a good low post offensive player. Period. This is an area that we are deficient. You say formulate a plan that makes us a contender... I say that in comparison to many of the plans given on this site, this plan is the most realistic and it gets us to a place where we contend much more clearly than any of these other let's hope and pray plans that I have seen.

Hello,With this being one of the best Drafts in years and Smith having zero interest in staying long term, I would try to trade him to New Orleans and couple our 23rd Pick and him to get the Number 1 Pick and draft Anthony Davis. Granted Davis and Horford might not be the perfect combination and Stern would probably not go for it anyway, but there is some poetic justice for shipping Smith to one of the worst teams in the NBA given his desire to "play for a winner".Hell, I might do it for the Hornets 10th Pick and our 2nd Rounder. It would certainly be ASG friendly not to take on any salary beyond a Rookie Contract and the Hornets have a huge amount of Salary Cap Space. Don't get me wrong, I wish Smith wanted to stay, but it seems to be a foregone conclusion and we will maximize our value trading him now as opposed to next year's Trade Deadline. I do think Davis is the type of Player who could make up for the huge loss that will be Smith's departure. I still fear we might become a lottery team with him gone, but he wants out. Instead of sending him somewhere he wants, I say send him somewhere with the cap space where we do not have to take on an onerous contract.Cheers,JJ

• Premium Member

Hello,With this being one of the best Drafts in years and Smith having zero interest in staying long term, I would try to trade him to New Orleans and couple our 23rd Pick and him to get the Number 1 Pick and draft Anthony Davis. Granted Davis and Horford might not be the perfect combination and Stern would probably not go for it anyway, but there is some poetic justice for shipping Smith to one of the worst teams in the NBA given his desire to "play for a winner".Hell, I might do it for the Hornets 10th Pick and our 2nd Rounder. It would certainly be ASG friendly not to take on any salary beyond a Rookie Contract and the Hornets have a huge amount of Salary Cap Space. Don't get me wrong, I wish Smith wanted to stay, but it seems to be a foregone conclusion and we will maximize our value trading him now as opposed to next year's Trade Deadline. I do think Davis is the type of Player who could make up for the huge loss that will be Smith's departure. I still fear we might become a lottery team with him gone, but he wants out. Instead of sending him somewhere he wants, I say send him somewhere with the cap space where we do not have to take on an onerous contract.Cheers,JJ

Welcome JJ. First off, it's going to take Lebron or Wade to get that #1 pick from Charlotte. Davis is projected to be the next Duncan. You don't give that up for an ending contract.If Sund got that deal to go, he would be GM for LIFE...

• Moderators

Welcome JJ. First off, it's going to take Lebron or Wade to get that #1 pick from Charlotte. Davis is projected to be the next Duncan. You don't give that up for an ending contract.If Sund got that deal to go, he would be GM for LIFE...

Exactly. That is the equivalent of proposing to trade JJ for Lebron.The #10 pick is much more realistic and debatable with respect to whether that is adequate value. Losing Smith's salary doesn't open significant cap room.

Josh and Horf is redundant just like Gasol and Horf are redundant. No more redundancy. Get a legit PnR PG who is young or Nash a marginal true center who can protect the rim and get bounds with size and add more depth. Win win.

Josh and Horf is redundant just like Gasol and Horf are redundant. No more redundancy. Get a legit PnR PG who is young or Nash a marginal true center who can protect the rim and get bounds with size and add more depth. Win win.

We don't run a PnR offense so we don't need that type of PG. And sorry but having Gasol and Horf is not redundant.

I just don't see that rim protecting C out there that could be exchanged for Josh. The teams that have them would be nuts to give them up (except for Orlando). Plus, the teams that might have an one are pretty set at PF. The one exception might be Chicago, where Noah might be available. But what would they do with Boozer and Smith?The other option of a PG, not sure there either. We aren't getting an elite PG for Josh. I would love to have Lowry from Houston, but I don't think that is a good trade for them. The one guy I keep landing on is Gordon from NO. He's not a pg, but that kid can score.I do hope the Hawks do something to shake up the roster, but my strong belief (worry) is that they are in complete care-taker mode and won't do a thing until they sell the team (even if it takes several more years).

We don't run a PnR offense so we don't need that type of PG. And sorry but having Gasol and Horf is not redundant.

I agree Dol. Gasol, if anything, would complement Horford. Gasol can create his own shot in the lane. This would help Horford with his mid range game.

BS. Total BS. To say we don't need a PnR PG is complete total BS. That's Diesel logic. Gasol and Horf are redundant. They take up the same space. They are both PF. They both can't protect the rim. They are both not #1 options for the most part. Al could be but only with a PnR PG. They are both mentally PF's.

I agree Dol. Gasol, if anything, would complement Horford. Gasol can create his own shot in the lane. This would help Horford with his mid range game.

How so? Gasol doesn't create his own shot that much. He creates his own shot about 3/10 times, he needed Odom and Kobe a lot. This is so stupid I swear, as someone who is a diehard Kobe fan who watched a ton of Laker games, I can tell you are wrong.

I just don't see that rim protecting C out there that could be exchanged for Josh. The teams that have them would be nuts to give them up (except for Orlando). Plus, the teams that might have an one are pretty set at PF. The one exception might be Chicago, where Noah might be available. But what would they do with Boozer and Smith?The other option of a PG, not sure there either. We aren't getting an elite PG for Josh. I would love to have Lowry from Houston, but I don't think that is a good trade for them. The one guy I keep landing on is Gordon from NO. He's not a pg, but that kid can score.I do hope the Hawks do something to shake up the roster, but my strong belief (worry) is that they are in complete care-taker mode and won't do a thing until they sell the team (even if it takes several more years).

There are a lot of rim protecting centers. Really good ones? No but you have cheap guys like old Ben Wallace or Thabeet.Lowry is a defensive minded PG, he is somewhat like Mookie, not what we need. We need a creator type for our personnel.

How so? Gasol doesn't create his own shot that much. He creates his own shot about 3/10 times, he needed Odom and Kobe a lot. This is so stupid I swear, as someone who is a diehard Kobe fan who watched a ton of Laker games, I can tell you are wrong.

No, Gasol was able to create his own with Memphis, and he can do the same outside of the dysfunction that is the Lakers right now. Kobe is out of control and Bynum was taking up the low post. You have your own views, but they are not consensus by any means of the basketball community. To assert otherwise is hyperbole.
  • Like 1

There are a lot of rim protecting centers. Really good ones? No but you have cheap guys like old Ben Wallace or Thabeet.Lowry is a defensive minded PG, he is somewhat like Mookie, not what we need. We need a creator type for our personnel.

Please name that makes sense for the Hawks to move Josh to acquire and why it makes sense for the trading club to send. Thabeet is AWFUL. I have no idea why you keep bringing him up. I'm a UConn alum and the guy was a stiff at UConn and is even worse in the NBA.Lowry is also a leader, something that the Hawks are in desperate need of. Edited by frosgrim